Confirmed with Link: Kane to Detroit

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Kane is really good at the PR game.

He's telling Yzerman he's gonna have to pony up if he wants to keep him, but he's not burning his bridges, either. The "work doesn't stop" line is a good shot IMO.

Unfortunately, with our cap structure and Kane's age that probably means he's gone, which is a shame because I think it would be great to have Kane helping guys like Kasper and Danielson develop their offensive game. Perron and Kane as player-coaches (on appropriate contracts) would be hugely beneficial to the young guys.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He's telling Yzerman he's gonna have to pony up if he wants to keep him, but he's not burning his bridges, either. The "work doesn't stop" line is a good shot IMO.

Unfortunately, with our cap structure and Kane's age that probably means he's gone, which is a shame because I think it would be great to have Kane helping guys like Kasper and Danielson develop their offensive game. Perron and Kane as player-coaches (on appropriate contracts) would be hugely beneficial to the young guys.
Near point per game players that lead their team in game winning goals are worth a lot generally. I really have no idea what Kane’s number should be. This is kind of why moving a Fabbri seems pretty important to me.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is kind of why moving a Fabbri seems pretty important to me.
And/or not bringing back guys like Perron and Sprong.

I hope I'm wrong, but if one year of loading up on middle six vets now turns into treading water for another year or two (or three or four, if the kids need that long), then it's not exactly inspiring to watch a team with the modus operandi of, "We built a roster that's just good enough to not suck."

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And/or not bringing back guys like Perron and Sprong.

I hope I'm wrong, but if one year of loading up on middle six vets now turns into treading water for another year or two (or three or four, if the kids need that long), then it's not exactly inspiring to watch a team with the modus operandi of, "We built a roster that's just good enough to not suck."
I mean... if Kane, Perron, Fabbri and/or Sprong turn into Berggren, Kasper, Mazur and some sort of top 6 acquisition, I'm here for it. If we're going to experience pain, it may as well be growing pains...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Kane want the brinks truck.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
He doesn’t know what other teams are offering yet. Yeah, more likely than not gone… but if other teams gonna give him $5m and Detroit gonna give him $5m… who knows.

Reactions: lilidk and wings95

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Given that he played at like .95'ish ppg in around 40 games I would be willing to go 2 years 6 per and not worry about it. I would prefer him over say Stamkos as a vet gunslinger for offense.

Reactions: cowboycoffee

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'd rather have Kane than Stamkos. If both are uninterested, turn to Toffolli.
And make room for at lest 2 kids on offense. Plus, space for Johansson on d.
Ohhh

No way..Stamkos over Kane pls any day in my opinion..

We will see x2 kids on the team...beggren and Johansson...Kasper,Danielson and Mazur will all be in GR...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't think he will be back. And I'm sad about it. Would literally rather him make 8M than pay Copp and Holl the same combined to have little to no impact...

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Very likely he's gone. Better to expect that now. Four days ago NHL.com posted a headline that Kane is "unlikely to return to Red Wings." How often does NHL.com throw out an actual hot take that an organization would disagree with?

“It was a great year,” Kane said Thursday. “It was fun to be a Red Wing and in this organization. I’m definitely going to have some memories to last me a lifetime."
Yzerman also sounded like someone reflecting back on Kane’s time in Detroit.
“Patrick was great, wasn’t he?” Yzerman said during his end-of-season press conference Friday. “He’s like a wizard with the puck -- his skill, his sense, his calmness in high-pressure situations and in the danger areas.
“He was great for our team, and I think he brought a lot of what I guess they call swag.”
[...]
“We have four unrestricted free agents up front (forwards Kane, David Perron, Daniel Sprong and Christian Fischer)," Yzerman said, "and we’ve got (defenseman Shayne) Gostisbehere on the back end, plus James Reimer in goal. I told them I have interest in bringing all of them back, but we have some restricted free agents to sign (most notably forward Lucas Raymond and defenseman Moritz Seider, each completing his entry-level contract) and they are going to have a significant impact on our (NHL) salary cap.
“It’s really a puzzle.”
Kane said he's willing to wait and see what the free agent market brings during the offseason.
"Yeah, I mean, you know, obviously, I'm a free agent," he said. "So I'm not under contract, but I'm sure I'll just kind of explore the situation here. Talk to my agent, kind of go over everything and kind of see what makes sense to go to one one way or another.
"It's hard to say right now ... really fully understand the situation, but I guess we'll kind of see what happens. And I'm sure my agency will have those conversations and kind of go from there."
Very likely he's gone, agree. And reading between the lines here, I think him leaving was always an understanding between him and Yzerman. My conjecture, but I suspect the mutual agreement was play one year in Detroit and then test free agency in an environment where Detroit will have a lot less flexibility to compete for his services than last off-season.

Detroit got:
- one year of Patrick Kane to help the rebuild along and try to make the playoffs
- a potential trade chip at the deadline had they been sellers

Kane got:
- a good opportunity in Detroit to resurrect his career post-surgery, and set him up for the free agent market
- to play a year with his good buddy
- a NTC to control where he would go had getting traded made sense

I think him possibly coming back next season was understood by both parties to be very slim, the moment he signed his contract here.

Last edited:

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Could go either way. Your perspective at this point is likely gonna be decided by whether you're optimistic/pessimistic by nature. I'd sorely miss the excitement he brings, but I also wouldn't mind filling that spot with size or more defensive responsibility. Hard to say if it's a coincidence or what, but I can't help but feel like his presence in the lineup shifted things in a way that wasn't necessarily for the better. Not something I can quantify, though.

Ohhh

No way..Stamkos over Kane pls any day in my opinion..

We will see x2 kids on the team...beggren and Johansson...Kasper,Danielson and Mazur will all be in GR...
I think Ghost is gone. So I prefer the guy than can run a PP from the half wall instead of the spot shooter. Plus, Stamkos played with Point and Kucherov at ES and 50% of his production came on the PP. I think his ES production dips with us, to the point that Kane can beat it. And he is more versatile. But I'm not hating on a Stamkos signing.

So just Johnny taking Sprong's spot.

I'd like to package him for an upgrade along with fabbs before we lose him for nothing next summer.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Could go either way. Your perspective at this point is likely gonna be decided by whether you're optimistic/pessimistic by nature. I'd sorely miss the excitement he brings, but I also wouldn't mind filling that spot with size or more defensive responsibility. Hard to say if it's a coincidence or what, but I can't help but feel like his presence in the lineup shifted things in a way that wasn't necessarily for the better. Not something I can quantify, though.
In the playoffs there's only so much room for scorers that don't play defense. I'd like him back, I'd be huffing copium if I said I didn't and he sucked or something, but if he doesn't return Yzerman will use that money to improve the team in other ways. There's a good group of wingers available he could shop for.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Ya get the sense that talks between Kane's agent and SY have not gone well and the bridge has burned. And that is going to leave a very big hole in the roster.

Not sure what the odds of the Wings making the playoffs next year are but it likely ain't happening either. Does that get SY fired is the question.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ya get the sense that talks between Kane's agent and SY have not gone well and the bridge has burned. And that is going to leave a very big hole in the roster.

Not sure what the odds of the Wings making the playoffs next year are but it likely ain't happening either. Does that get SY fired is the question.

It does not. It's highly unlikely the goal is "make the playoffs next season or else." The goal is to put together a team that competes for several seasons.

It would have been so great to make the playoffs this year just to get over the hump, because next year there's more kids in the lineup, which is also great but it's gonna be another tough fight to get in.

I doubt that bridges were burned. It's part of the business. Both sides know the other's situation. It's stuff like pulling a contract off the table after you've offered it or a franchise player holding out where things start to get contentious.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ideal scenario is to sign him for two years 5-7 mil, I don't care, and play him with Kasper and Danielson. Both defensively responsible , both needs to learn from someone, why not from the best. I don't care if Danielson probably not NHL ready, it's all about future.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Why are people so hot to trot to get Yzerman fired? He could definitely have bought to make the playoffs this year at the deadline but he didn’t.

Like good lord, people are f***in trigger happy to get their pound of flesh. From the gm and from the coach.

Steve Yzerman is the exact same GM that built the Tampa team that was the best in the league.

And I’ll be honest, I don’t think any talks have happened between Kane’s camp and Yzerman’s camp since the season ended

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It does not. It's highly unlikely the goal is "make the playoffs next season or else." The goal is to put together a team that competes for several seasons.
I sincerely hope that this is only one of several goals, including to win one or more Stanley Cups. I understand that nobody can guarantee a championship, and that statistically most teams don't win one. But there's also a clear distinction in roster building, once you reach a window of actual contending: you either remain conservative to prioritize sustaining your window, or you get aggressive to prioritize "win now".

To be clear, Detroit has not reached this stage yet. And I'm not saying that Yzerman will necessarily opt for a longer playoff streak as a 7/10 team instead of risking a shorter window to try to be a 9/10 or 10/10 team. Just that, if you're going to take your time rebuilding to"get it right" then when the time is right, don't stop at just being squarely in the top half of the league.

Why are people so hot to trot to get Yzerman fired? He could definitely have bought to make the playoffs this year at the deadline but he didn’t.

Like good lord, people are f***in trigger happy to get their pound of flesh. From the gm and from the coach.
This is the first year that felt like they SHOULD have made the playoffs but didn't.

Do I want Yzerman fired? Hell no. But I think it's reasonable to expect this roster to have finished the job better than they did, and he (and the players and the coaches) deserve at least a little heat.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
This is the first year that felt like they SHOULD have made the playoffs but didn't.

Do I want Yzerman fired? Hell no. But I think it's reasonable to expect this roster to have finished the job better than they did, and he (and the players and the coaches) deserve at least a little heat.
Almost no one was predicting the Wings at 91 points and being eliminated from the playoff race at the last minute by a simple technicality. If they had slow-ground their way to 91 and fallen this short I think that most reasonable people would see that as what it is - a demonstrable and measurable improvement over the last few seasons.

These "or else" takes seem more than a little wild-eyed to me.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad