Confirmed with Link: Kane re-signed. 7 years x $7m AAV

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Kane may have played on a bad team but with elite talent like Eichel. Meier never had such an opportunity and mostly played limited minutes with clear bottom six material. You can use whatever numbers or eyetest you want, Meier is the better player right now and looking at development curves and age that's highly unlikely to change.

You're putting the cart way before the horse here. Kane was a productive even strength goal scorer on those awful Jets teams too, to suggest he's a product of Eichel is disingenuous. We all hope Meier becomes better than Kane, and perhaps he will very soon, but to suggest that he's there already when he's proven almost nothing at the NHL level is premature. Anyway this contract is still terrible and I would much rather see Meier on our top line next season - preferably next to John Tavares - than I would Evander Kane.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You're putting the cart way before the horse here. Kane was a productive even strength goal scorer on those awful Jets teams too, to suggest he's a product of Eichel is disingenuous. We all hope Meier becomes better than Kane, and perhaps he will very soon, but to suggest that he's there already when he's proven almost nothing at the NHL level is premature. Anyway this contract is still terrible and I would much rather see Meier on our top line next season - preferably next to John Tavares - than I would Evander Kane.

Meier was 2nd in 5V5 points on a 100 point team this season. To say he has proven nothing is very unfair to him. That’s plenty of proof for a guy who was healthy scratched and spent time on the 4th line.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You think Kane was getting the same or even less than guys like Okposo and Lucic?

Okposo is a lot better than Kane both scoring and impact wise. Kane had the one good season seven years ago and has been either inconsistent or injured ever since. He mostly benefited from strong linemates. I'd take Okposo over Kane any day of the week. Nothing against Kane but he's not worth 7 millions. Not even close.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If this is a precursor to some rather substantial roster changes then fine. Defense and center need to be improved. Wing was not a position of need, so Kane at that amount seems wasteful.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He wasn't productive...he only had the one 30+ goal and 50+ points season seven years ago. Not much happening since. Not a lot for a 7×7 guy especially knowing that he's really just a scorer and not really providing much more.

Meier has been one of the most efficient players leaguewide this season and he's done it with mostly quite limited linemates. He did prove a lot this season.

NorthernShark

Apr 26, 2018
Would rather have him at like a 4 year 6.250 - 6.750 mil. I mean, the 7 x 7 isn't set in stone yet. It could be lower, or higher...

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I like Kane, but he has never, ever been worth 7 million dollars at any point in his career

If these numbers are real it's just another terrible contract to go along with Burns, Vlasic, and Jones and it's another step in the wrong direction

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Okposo is a lot better than Kane both scoring and impact wise. Kane had the one good season seven years ago and has been either inconsistent or injured ever since. He mostly benefited from strong linemates. I'd take Okposo over Kane any day of the week. Nothing against Kane but he's not worth 7 millions. Not even close.

Kane is speedy, physical winger who can score 25 goals and get 280 shots. Much better than what Okposo brings imo.

As for benefiting from strong linemates, didnt Okposo play with Tavares for like 5 years?

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Meier was 2nd in 5V5 points on a 100 point team this season. To say he has proven nothing is very unfair to him. That’s plenty of proof for a guy who was healthy scratched and spent time on the 4th line.

It's still just one season. I think we all see the potential with Meier but to say that he's proven he's better than Evander Kane after one season is a bit much.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I like Kane, but he has never, ever been worth 7 million dollars at any point in his career

If these numbers are real it's just another terrible contract to go along with Burns, Vlasic, and Jones and it's another step in the wrong direction

Think relative to the cap. At no point in his career have teams had 80M to throw around under the cap. Percentage of cap wise this doesn’t seem far off from what he was already getting under his last contact with a lower cap if I’m not mistaken.

We’re acting like we just locked up 20% of our cap for him. This isn’t 5-8 years ago when 7M per was for the elite of the elite.

With that in mind I don’t mind it so much.

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
Nothing is confirmed yet. Though I agree with the consensus, this is a big overpayment if true. Again, IF. Let's wait until its confirmed to crucify DW.

Honestly, this would surprise me. I'm expecting a 6x6 or 6.5x5 type contract. Which would still be an overpayment IMO, but more understandable. Kane's game doesn't seem like the type that will age very well. I wouldn't go past 5 years if it were up to me.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Nothing is confirmed yet. Though I agree with the consensus, this is a big overpayment if true. Again, IF. Let's wait until its confirmed to crucify DW.

Honestly, this would surprise me. I'm expecting a 6x6 or 6.5x5 type contract. Which would still be an overpayment IMO, but more understandable. Kane's game doesn't seem like the type that will age very well. I wouldn't go past 5 years if it were up to me.

Im sure Kane's camp knows that and was hard on 7 years term. If DW let Kane walk and missed on tavares, then he would have failed at his job. Just like the Burns and Vlasic deals, sometimes in business you have to make sacrifices to get what you want

Reactions: Phu

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Leafs fan here, is this guy really worth nearly 3m more per than Kadri? I think not. Horrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad