Confirmed with Link: Kane is Back [5.125 x 4]

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'm also extremely critical of Holland, but on this one he absolutely knocked it out getting that value, and at a term that isn't egregiously long nor will it outlast the contract of McDavid -- some momentous decisions await in 3 years but obviously for now, if Kane keeps his focus properly and where things should be at this stage of his career.. pretty tremendous signing.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
alldone.gif

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Pros: Kane and McDavid showed that this has massive potential. He's a legit top-six forward with grit added and puts the puck in the net. The cap hit is very, very reasonable.

Cons: We don't know if Kane's game will drop off now that he got paid. Let's hope not. He also needs to chill with some dumber penalties and his defensive game is come and go, but he won't have to worry too much playing with Connor.

Overall: This can work. Really will be up to Evander in the end. We've done worse.
It's usually not his game that drops off. Prorated to 30 goals in each of his full seasons in SJ. Just needs to avoid off-ice drama. He's almost always been good when he's on the ice, though like you said not the best defensively at times.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
This is great news! An absolute steal of a deal. Evander wants to be here. The window is wide open now!

Another important thing to note is that signing Kane must make the team an even bigger draw for other potential UFA's. Tomorrow just got a lot more interesting.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Great deal for the team

This is 2-3 mil under what I was expecting he get. Some truly cheap contacts being signed as of late.

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As a player obviously a great fit last season and purely for on ice contribution obviously great value.

As a person off the ice… I’ve said my piece on him…and won’t bring it up anymore so long as there are no new discoveries on past allegations.

Disappointed he’s back, but I wasn’t able to quit the Oilers even for half a season. Don’t think I’d have much luck trying for 4 more.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Ya baby! This is going to make our players happy and this team is going to rock this year! Now get P. Kane as well and chych or burns.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Great (re)signing, I didn't expect it to be under $6 mil per year. I wonder how the outcome of the arbitrarion might affect this deal. If he wins, could SJ retain his contract??

Reactions: Oilhawks

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Caught the tail end of Sportscenter and guy mentions Oilers keep Kane and I'm thinking it's got to be 7 million a year. Can't believe the value we got. Now Holland , please don't go and do anything dumb now to ruin the mood here. Seems like there's always at least one real stinker of a signing every off-season.

Reactions: McDoused

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Let’s f***ing gooo! Out of the 3 options of Kane, Perron and Giroux, I wanted Kane but didn’t think we would make it work or he would sign for as much as he did.

Happy for Kane, the boys wanted him here and majority of the fan base embraced him.
I admit, I am shocked he signed here for that much. Thought he would for about 7 or 8...maybe the oilers were smart to let him talk to any team and Kane saw his option and decided the oilers were the best option

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I admit, I am shocked he signed here for that much. Thought he would for about 7 or 8...maybe the oilers were smart to let him talk to any team and Kane saw his option and decided the oilers were the best option

Agreed. Have to give Holland full props on that one, he played the negotiations with Kane perfectly. The rumoured offer, letting Kane speak to other teams and determine his own value and then circling back to get it done. Job well done by him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Agreed. Have to give Holland full props on that one, he played the negotiations with Kane perfectly. The rumoured offer, letting Kane speak to other teams and determine his own value and then circling back to get it done. Job well done by him.
I thought teams like Washington, Vegas, LA or a few other teams would get creative with their offers

He clearly took a pay cut to stay here too. Damn
and it is only a 4 year deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad