Proposal: K'Andre Miller to SJ

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Are these really foundational assets though? Bordeleau and Ferraro in particular are assets we should be looking to get rid of ASAP while they still have some modicum of value. Picks are likely to be in the 20th-40th range which rarely pan out. We're also getting a player who fits the timeline of the rebuild.

I always find it funny that the poster making the proposal needs to make posts in the thread hyping up both sides and minimizing both sides to appease fans from both sides.

Reactions: Gecklund

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
For any trade involving Miller, you have to keep in mind that you're not asking the Rangers to just give up a young player.

You're asking the Rangers, a team with competitive aspirations, to give you their second best defenseman.
Idk I think Trouba is better. Maybe not better but what he brings is limited to maybe 5 dman in the nhl? I’d kill for him on the leafs on the top pair. If both Trouba and Miller were at the same cap hit without question even if age is considered I’d take Trouba over him.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So you think K'Andre Miller has little to no value which is why we should keep the Pittsburgh 1st and pray we get lucky enough to draft someone like K'Andre Miller with it?
That ain’t what I said either.
Trading for a 23 year old top-4 dman who hasn't come close to peaking, isn't going to help you in the future...? Wut....?

Do you realize how insanely foolish that sounds? You don't need to explain why you wouldn't want to make that trade, you've done so numerous times and that's fine. What isn't fine is the above statement.

Even if Sharks are 5 years away from icing a respectable team, Miller is probably a top pairing dman at that point in his career and still under 30.
I don’t think Miller will ever be a top pair D. Miller does nothing for this team. I don’t want to move future assets for someone who isn’t a difference maker in the future for this team. I don’t understand why that’s so hard to comprehend.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I'm honestly having a hard time telling if this is somewhat sarcastic or not...I'll lean toward you being serious.

Are you really a Ranger fan and trying to use points to ascribe the value of Lindgren to the team....???
I love me some Lindgren. I was getting beaten up for wanting to sign him for $4.5x4 or 5. But I’m 100% certain Miller is the better player.

Reactions: OrangePMD

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That ain’t what I said either.

I don’t think Miller will ever be a top pair D. Miller does nothing for this team. I don’t want to move future assets for someone who isn’t a difference maker in the future for this team. I don’t understand why that’s so hard to comprehend.
Miller is leading the #1 team in the Metro division in TOI right now. He is already performing and being used like a top pair defenseman. Not every top pair defenseman is Cale Makar.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Again what does Miller change? We still need to draft a bunch of dmen. We still need to build our basically entire defense. We still need multiple top pair D.

So we get Miller and add him to a team that is probably the worst in the NHL history or at least has a solid argument and expect him to just be okay with it. We move 3 pieces that could be used later to add to our young core like the Kings did with Dubois, Danault, Gavrikov, Fiala, etc.

It’s like adding a luxury pool to the house before the foundation is even poured.

Yeah. This was pretty much my initial reaction to the original post's assertion that, "K'Andre Miller is exactly what the Sharks need". Like, sure...he'd be nice to add, but don't the Sharks need...literally everything? They're still very early in this whole rebuilding process. It just doesn't make sense to start adding slightly older players at a premium acquisition cost at this point.

Realistically, i think a K'Andre trade would probably have to start with Mukhamadullin, under the premise that he'd be stepping right in for the Rangers in Millers spot next year. That's the only way i see the Rangers "downgrading" a Top-4D in the middle of a competitive cycle. At which point, i don't really see how that helps San Jose or gets them anywhere...when they could just wait on the younger guy themselves and see how he pans out.

As for the luxury pool though, i think you probably want to pour that with, or as part of the foundation. So if that's how we're team-building, i guess maybe they should trade for someone like Miller. :laugh: But probably not in this case.

Reactions: Gecklund

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Miller is leading the #1 team in the Metro division in TOI right now. He is already performing and being used like a top pair defenseman. Not every top pair defenseman is Cale Makar.

Yeah. The Rangers are kind of weird in that, in even strength terms (the best real metric of deployment)...that Miller-Trouba pairing generally seems to be their "top pairing" over their "Norris caliber #1D" guy.

People fawn over Fox, and Lindgren is a great complement to him. But push come to shove, the bench bosses there seem to lean a little bit more on the other guys. I'd say both Miller and Trouba are "top pairing caliber" guys, and they effectively demonstrate as much.

Still doesn't really make any sense for me for the Rangers to move on from their top-pairing D in the middle of a contending window. Nor does it make sense for the Sharks to go blowing futures to acquire a slightly older player just to accelerate the timeline on a rebuild that is really just getting started.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Again he doesn’t do that in SJ. He doesn’t move the needle at all for us now or in the future. You don’t build a defense around Miller. You build it around Fox.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Again he doesn’t do that in SJ. He doesn’t move the needle at all for us now or in the future. You don’t build a defense around Miller. You build it around Fox.
The Rangers actually built it around Trouba, who was 24/25 at the time they acquired him. They didn't know what they had in Fox, Miller, or Lindgren. There are what, a handful of Fox's and Makar's in the league? You don't always have the luxury of building around those guys.

I'm not trying to suggest you should trade for KAM. I want nothing to do with moving him. My gripe is you clearly undervaluing him and that's quite obvious.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I love me some Lindgren. I was getting beaten up for wanting to sign him for $4.5x4 or 5. But I’m 100% certain Miller is the better player.

The ceiling is definitely higher and it's probably trending that way but right now im not so sure who's more valuable tothe team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Rangers actually built it around Trouba, who was 24/25 at the time they acquired him. They didn't know what they had in Fox, Miller, or Lindgren. There are what, a handful of Fox's and Makar's in the league? You don't always have the luxury of building around those guys.

I'm not trying to suggest you should trade for KAM. I want nothing to do with moving him. My gripe is you clearly undervaluing him and that's quite obvious.
Value is what someone else is willing to pay for him. He doesn’t have much value to SJ unless it’s something around like Hertl, Couture, other older guy.

• Haha
Reactions: UnSandvich

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Ok, then. You've made your point that Miller is not a franchise/generational defenseman, will never be THE player you build an entire roster around, and that anything less than that kind of player isn't worth it for SJ.

You're just yelling into the void at this point.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ok, then. You've made your point that Miller is not a franchise/generational defenseman, will never be THE player you build an entire roster around, and that anything less than that kind of player isn't worth it for SJ.

You're just yelling into the void at this point.
I'm actually just responding to people who responded to me. I don't see the issue.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It looks like Laf is finally playing his way into a big contract and Shesterkin's next contract will probably start with a 10 so my thinking was the Rangers will need to move someone by the 2025 offseason for cap purposes. Of course there are other options than Miller but most of them have NMCs.
Rs are not always smart enuf to listen to bern, but that said, logically
you trade the Vez quality Shesty when demand maxes return on a sooner than later sched b' in part you have Garand as a long term answer
you do not trade KAM for who there is no replacement

you sign KAM long term lock him up take short term cap hit and minimize cost over time

you deal Lindy to sell high anyway

Y0U DO NOT TRADE KA,M

Appreciate ya wanna upgrade SJ situation
And can't fault for the always polite ask "what would it take".

But I'm obliged to then say, I don't see you have enuf in the totality of the circumstances

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Are these really foundational assets though? Bordeleau and Ferraro in particular are assets we should be looking to get rid of ASAP while they still have some modicum of value. Picks are likely to be in the 20th-40th range which rarely pan out. We're also getting a player who fits the timeline of the rebuild.
So you want to rush the rebuild and end up with a long painful road back? K (a former #22 overall pick) makes the sharks better now and could be a future piece but the sharks need to build a base now and start to pick up guys like K is now in 2-3 years. No need to make the team fractionally better now by giving up futures. Wait for guys like Smith to make the pros then supplement for the next playoff run

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So you want to rush the rebuild and end up with a long painful road back? K (a former #22 overall pick) makes the sharks better now and could be a future piece but the sharks need to build a base now and start to pick up guys like K is now in 2-3 years. No need to make the team fractionally better now by giving up futures. Wait for guys like Smith to make the pros then supplement for the next playoff run
K'andre is a foundational piece though. guys like him don't come around to often.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
K'Andre Miller has been used more in the defensive zone at ES this season and has held his own.

Also didn’t realize Miller finished 3rd on the team in hits last season trailing only Trocheck and Trouba.

At one time I’ve undervalued K’Andre Miller but he has size and traits to become a 1st pairing defender as his positioning without the puck has improved, K’Andre has been playing 1st pairing minutes on a 2nd pairing with mostly Trouba who has been a good mentoring partner.

Reactions: bernmeister

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Should probably just keep this one to the San Jose board.

Or at least go full Bernmeister and us an enthusiastic essay

Reactions: bernmeister

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers aren't trading K'Andre for prospects and picks or bottom pair defensemen. He's a key part of a team hoping to get to the playoffs again and maybe make some noise. Without him those hopes get way dimmer.

As for Sharks fans I wouldn't mistake the kind of player he is. He is defense first. A lot like a young Marc Staal only a better skater. He's not necessarily a great guy to run a first unit power play. He's got some offense but that's not what he does best though he has more upside than what he's shown so far. He's a converted forward and to some degree he's still learning how to play defense.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
We are destined to lock KAM in at an outrageous rate, realize he's Brady Skjei 2.0, and be crippled by an overpriced deal and unable to pay someone who can actually play the role we expect KAM to play.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
SJS is probably five years from icing a competitive team again, provided everything goes as planned. Would be idiotic to start spending picks to get youngish players when they could easily draft their own #2-3 D with one of the many firsts they should be focusing on gathering at this point. Miller is turning 24 in January, he will be 29-30 by the time SJS is back at it. Both teams say hell no to this one.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think OP’s offer is fair, but doubt NYR considers moving him at all. The only time you MIGHT be able to land him is after the bridge contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad