Speculation: Kaliyev trade...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought that there may be a possibility of a trade with the Habs.

I'm not going to go into the value, I like discuss the player.

I posted this trade possibility in the main forum and people came back that bad skating is holding him back. At 22, I thought he would of addressed that, unless he has two left feet.

What is the scouting report on him and is he worth a trade? Why isn't he a top 6 with you? He seems to have the tools.

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
They haven’t given him a chance. Playing on the fourth line doesn’t really give you chance to score a lot of goals. Particularly if you are playing with Lizzotte and Grundstrum.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They haven’t given him a chance. Playing on the fourth line doesn’t really give you chance to score a lot of goals. Particularly if you are playing with Lizzotte and Grundstrum.
He was trending to a 40 point (annualized) player. Then fell off a cliff.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
could probably stand to tag this thread somehow, i opened it assuming there was a trade in place

he's not a great skater but he's had his confidence completely shattered by the org imo, he's shooting something like 6% while being jerked around in depth, benched after scoring, benched after drawing a penalty, you name it

all that withstanding he still has some of the highest scoring per 60 in the league among other scoring stats but i think the issue in LA is that he doesn't play "da system" good enough

wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him bang in 20-25+ immediately upon being utilized correctly by another org

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
could probably stand to tag this thread somehow, i opened it assuming there was a trade in place

he's not a great skater but he's had his confidence completely shattered by the org imo, he's shooting something like 6% while being jerked around in depth, benched after scoring, benched after drawing a penalty, you name it

all that withstanding he still has some of the highest scoring per 60 in the league among other scoring stats but i think the issue in LA is that he doesn't play "da system" good enough

wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him bang in 20-25+ immediately upon being utilized correctly by another org
I changed it into speculation.

We seem to do well with recycling kids with potential. Dach is turning into a monster, when he's not in a wheel chair, Newhook got his game back. We are looking at more reclamation projects that have top 6 potential.

I think he has that potential, but I'm far from certain.

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I changed it into speculation.

We seem to do well with recycling kids with potential. Dach is turning into a monster, when he's not in a wheel chair, Newhook got his game back. We are looking at more reclamation projects that have top 6 potential.

I think he has that potential, but I'm far from certain.
he has the kind of shot you can't teach and some kind of nose for making the puck find him around the crease but again, his mental is completely broken right now from what i can see

one of my favorite young players completely f***ed by org misuse

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Please note that we do not know why they stopped wanting to give him opportunities. There could very well be some off-ice/motivational issues that affected the way he was viewed. We have never seen or heard anything other than that he dropped about 10-15 picks further down in the draft than expected with rumors of him not interviewing well.

On-ice, his forechecking, defensive awareness and board work left a lot to be desired. Teams can live with that if you are productive, but he has rarely if ever been utilized in a way that maximizes his strengths. And that is completely on the team, as Kaliyev's game is about as easy to see as any player in the league. If he isn't what they want out of a winger, they should have known this ages ago.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he has the kind of shot you can't teach and some kind of nose for making the puck find him around the crease but again, his mental is completely broken right now from what i can see

one of my favorite young players completely f***ed by org misuse
He's going to get a coach that will work with him. But won't baby him.

CC started to flounder then after we got st Louis, he found his inner 40 goal production.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Please note that we do not know why they stopped wanting to give him opportunities. There could very well be some off-ice/motivational issues that affected the way he was viewed. We have never seen or heard anything other than that he dropped about 10-15 picks further down in the draft than expected with rumors of him not interviewing well.

On-ice, his forechecking, defensive awareness and board work left a lot to be desired. Teams can live with that if you are productive, but he has rarely if ever been utilized in a way that maximizes his strengths. And that is completely on the team, as Kaliyev's game is about as easy to see as any player in the league. If he isn't what they want out of a winger, they should have known this ages ago.
That will be a problem if he doesn't commit.

The Habs are working on creating a hard working 5 man unit that requires the forwards to fall backand help defensively. Then attack as a unit.

This can be a maturation issue...or a mental block.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Please note that we do not know why they stopped wanting to give him opportunities. There could very well be some off-ice/motivational issues that affected the way he was viewed. We have never seen or heard anything other than
untrue

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The only thing I recall hearing is that the front office wasn’t happy that his request for a change of scenery became public back in February or whatever it was.
that was at blake's presser right? i thought that was blake flatly denying that arty requested it?

paraphrasing, i think i remember blake saying "maybe arty's agent says that, but arty didn't"

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They do a lot of pissing and moaning when anything turns public

i wish someone would leak Luc's breakfast

leak in it

Found it

1715304969946.jpeg

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
that was at blake's presser right? i thought that was blake flatly denying that arty requested it?

paraphrasing, i think i remember blake saying "maybe arty's agent says that, but arty didn't"
This was it. He has the wrong agent as artys agent wont collude with luc, brgevin and of course blake

bland

Jul 1, 2004
i do think that's unfairly speculative to hang on him
It's been hanging around him since his draft year. It's not "untrue" that his conditioning was notedly poor and for whatever reason his actual age and interview skills were a topic of conversation. His motivation and hustle were definitely in question in practically every scouting report.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I thought that there may be a possibility of a trade with the Habs.

I'm not going to go into the value, I like discuss the player.

I posted this trade possibility in the main forum and people came back that bad skating is holding him back. At 22, I thought he would of addressed that, unless he has two left feet.

What is the scouting report on him and is he worth a trade? Why isn't he a top 6 with you? He seems to have the tools.
His skating is much improved. Hes not quick by any means and he does this kind of plodding around in tight but in open ice he can build some speed and get moving for a big guy with a big frame.
It is not his big issue.
His biggest knock is defensive zone coverage, bad breakout passes, and some of his decision making like he shoots from bad angles and it goes back the other way for an odd man rush or he doesnt get pucks in deep on the rush to dump and chase.
Things that can mostly be fixed or covered up in a certain role and system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad