Recalled/Assigned: Kaleta Clears Waivers Assigned To Amerks

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
My money is on Kaleta not coming up this season. His a targeted man and liability. The headbutting incident has made him legendary enough, combined with his other antics plus the addition of Tropp to replace him I just don't see it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My money is on Kaleta not coming up this season. His a targeted man and liability. The headbutting incident has made him legendary enough, combined with his other antics plus the addition of Tropp to replace him I just don't see it.

Without getting into whether or not Kaleta should or shouldn't come up.

Tropp is an offensive oriented player with little defensive acumen. Other than hitting and getting injured, he really doesn't replicate anything Kaleta does.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Tropp is an offensive oriented player with little defensive acumen. Other than hitting and getting injured, he really doesn't replicate anything Kaleta does.

Agree with JJ on this one: Tropp brings hitting, energy and a lack of regard for his personal safety. Kaleta did that too, but also is a fine PKer and defensively responsible player that Tropp has not yet grown to be.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Oh, I understand, and agree to a large extent, though I would argue this latest one was an excuse to toss the book at Kaleta as it wasn't much of a hit.

The criminal justice system is set up in a similar fashion, likely because it makes some sense: In any state that uses the "3 strikes" criteria for offenders, if you have two violent crimes on your record and then steal a piece of pizza from someone (true story in CA.) you get a third strike and go away for a very long time, maybe even life.

I'm just saying that if the NHL is really serious about dangerous hits, they will crack down hard on all of them. They will also get rid of using the severity of an injury to determine the length of a suspension.

Just like in the CJS, the severity of the results of your misdeed weighs heavily on your punishment.

It does make sense.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The criminal justice system is set up in a similar fashion, likely because it makes some sense: In any state that uses the "3 strikes" criteria for offenders, if you have two violent crimes on your record and then steal a piece of pizza from someone (true story in CA.) you get a third strike and go away for a very long time, maybe even life.

Just like in the CJS, the severity of the results of your misdeed weighs heavily on your punishment.

It does make sense.

Speaking as a law student and someone that wants to go into criminal law...

You couldn't have picked a worse example of the criminal justice system as "something that makes sense."

Everyone I've heard, from defense attorneys to prosecutors to judges all agree that that component of the three strikes rule, where a minor offense can send you away forever, is a huge huge systematic problem that needs changed, and is one of the reasons for America's disgusting mass incarceration rate.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

No, but I don't think we're missing Kaleta for that exactly. All he really brought was hitting. He was defensively reliable but to be honest Stafford has that role covered now.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Speaking as a law student and someone that wants to go into criminal law...

You couldn't have picked a worse example of the criminal justice system as "something that makes sense."

Everyone I've heard, from defense attorneys to prosecutors to judges all agree that that component of the three strikes rule, where a minor offense can send you away forever, is a huge huge systematic problem that needs changed, and is one of the reasons for America's disgusting mass incarceration rate.

Aside from it not being on point it is the funniest post on a Sabres fan forum I've seen in a while, quite possibly ever.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No, but I don't think we're missing Kaleta for that exactly. All he really brought was hitting. He was defensively reliable but to be honest Stafford has that role covered now.

One player covers that? That's a new one. And how is it that a team that gives up as many shots as we do wouldn't benefit from another defensive forward

And our PK has suffered since he's been out. He is our top PKer.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
One player covers that? That's a new one. And how is it that a team that gives up as many shots as we do wouldn't benefit from another defensive forward

And our PK has suffered since he's been out. He is our top PKer.

Our PK suffered since we lost Gausted. Kaleta is a minuscule blow in comparison. A generally more responsible forward unit and a more cohesive defensive unit is our way forward. Staffords remarkable defensive improvement is one small aspect. Ott was a great addition in that regard, Weber is maturing now and coming in to his own. Again, Kaleta not being here doesn't hurt us all that much.

His overvalued here as his a Buffalo boy. Remember exactly nobody in the entire league wanted him. Not for anything. People wouldn't take him for nothing or futures.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Our PK suffered since we lost Gausted. Kaleta is a minuscule blow in comparison. A generally more responsible forward unit and a more cohesive defensive unit is our way forward. Staffords remarkable defensive improvement is one small aspect. Ott was a great addition in that regard, Weber is maturing now and coming in to his own. Again, Kaleta not being here doesn't hurt us all that much.

His overvalued here as his a Buffalo boy. Remember exactly nobody in the entire league wanted him. Not for anything. People wouldn't take him for nothing or futures.

So that's why our PK got significantly worse then PK got suspended and then was sent down, huh. Makes sense.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So that's why our PK got significantly worse then PK got suspended and then was sent down, huh. Makes sense.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 12 Nov
Say what you will about Patrick Kaleta, but here's a fact. Sabres penalty kill was 93.3 percent with him. It is 75.5 percent without him.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No reason for Kaleta not to be up here. He is a proven NHL caliber player with elite hitting ability, great defensive/PK play and the ability to chip in 5-8 goals a season. There is no more re entry waivers so why is he still down?

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
No reason for Kaleta not to be up here. He is a proven NHL caliber player with elite hitting ability, great defensive/PK play and the ability to chip in 5-8 goals a season. There is no more re entry waivers so why is he still down?
Because Darcy sent him to purgatory to atone for his sins. Well Darcy is gone. Patty will come back up. If he plays like an ass. Shanaban will send him to hell next time. Love Catholic analogies...

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

Are your REALLY expecting me to pin that on Kaleta, REALLY? I mean think deep down, honestly, REALLY? Kaleta is the one true god of PK and now a borderline NHLer with temper issues and a history of headbutting players.

I mean Gausted was far more competent and got sent packing and no-one batted an eye lid. An you don't expect me to think there's some Buffalo pride there.

Nobody in the league wanted him for any price. He is less sought after than Tim Kennedy was. Think about that.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we want to talk about the downfall of our PK, consider this...

Once upon a time we had a great PK. Top PKing forwards included Gaustad, Hecht, Pominville, and Kaleta.

The end.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Once upon a time we had a great PK. Top PKing forwards included Gaustad, Hecht, Pominville, and Kaleta.

The end.

and Tim Connolly

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

The end.

I wonder who'll get this reference. So which one of the Infinity Stones is Kaleta?

:p:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Are your REALLY expecting me to pin that on Kaleta, REALLY? I mean think deep down, honestly, REALLY? Kaleta is the one true god of PK and now a borderline NHLer with temper issues and a history of headbutting players.
Yes, part of it is Kaleta. The stats speak for themselves.

I mean Gausted was far more competent and got sent packing and no-one batted an eye lid. An you don't expect me to think there's some Buffalo pride there.
Gaustad was a pending UFA with a $2.3M cap hit (overpaid) who wasn't contributing on much besides the PK anymore, and who got a 1st round draft pick in return. He was paid like a 3rd line center and wasn't good enough.

Kaleta is paid like a 4th liner and contributes like one, especially on the PK.

And yes, it was noted when Gaustad left that the PK would miss him.

Nobody in the league wanted him for any price. He is less sought after than Tim Kennedy was. Think about that.
He's tainted goods right now, of course no one wants him. They do want what he brings, just not the baggage.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You're trying to hard

You tried to argue we don't need Kaleta because of Tropp. You were wrong and now you are just throwing anything against the wall.

We get it. You don't think we need him and you think he brings little to the table.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He's tainted goods right now, of course no one wants him. They do want what he brings, just not the baggage.

Agreed teams don't want his baggage (or his cap hit).

I would have to think that a contender would love to have him for the playoffs if it wasn't for his baggage.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
You're trying to hard

You tried to argue we don't need Kaleta because of Tropp. You were wrong and now you are just throwing anything against the wall.

We get it. You don't think we need him and you think he brings little to the table.

No the Tropp argument was invalid and bad. I accept that, I was definitely wrong. Now my point is that we don't need him and that there is a certain amount of Buffalo favouritism (which isn't a bad thing necessarily).

I'm also saying his not a terribly good NHL player in any regard. That point is being contested, so I'm putting forth some simple points, none of which are being countered with anything more than 'our PK needs him' with some spurious stats.

But I'm at work and finished 30 mins ago so I'll give it a rest on Mod's orders. I still have no idea what the fascination is with Kaleta but hey, maybe I need to live in Buffalo to...

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Say what you want about Kaleta and his PK ability, but you know he's the only one that will throw his body in front of a shot at all costs. Saw some of that from Flynn the other night, but Kaleta is the type of player Nolan loves. He will be up soon IMO.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
No the Tropp argument was invalid and bad. I accept that, I was definitely wrong. Now my point is that we don't need him and that there is a certain amount of Buffalo favouritism (which isn't a bad thing necessarily).

I'm also saying his not a terribly good NHL player in any regard. That point is being contested, so I'm putting forth some simple points, none of which are being countered with anything more than 'our PK needs him' with some spurious stats.

But I'm at work and finished 30 mins ago so I'll give it a rest on Mod's orders. I still have no idea what the fascination is with Kaleta but hey, maybe I need to live in Buffalo to...

He actually is a very good 4th Line NHL player.
And, I don't live in Buffalo.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

I think you're overstating the fact that Kaleta is from Buffalo and that's why Buffalo fans think he's a serviceable player.

He's a very serviceable player and a great penalty killer. Nobody claimed him because the league forced Regier's hand in sending him down -- how would it look for a team to claim him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad