Kakko vs Lafreniere Revisted; Who do you have more faith in?

Who do you have more faith in?

• Kaapo Kakko

• Alexis Lafreniere

Results are only viewable after voting.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
I'm pretty sure Svechnikov was given top minutes right away.
I saw svechnikov being brought up in the thread a couple times and i thought that interesting. More because I think they really are not comparable beside their draft position. Although both of great size, kakko's weight distribution is still immature whereas svech looked like a man on draft day.

For svech he actually was not gifted top line minutes at all. He was inconsistent (defensively, penalties etc) but was able to have a much better impact offensively than kakko and laf. He was glued to the 3rd line for most of the first season with martinook and wallmark. It's worth noting martinook and later hamilton really took svech under their wings and mentored him which we dont see much with kakko.

Reactions: Paul Padovano

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Well considering that his most frequent linemates have been chytil and gauthier, what do you expect?
To be fair Chytil and Goat create and flub their own chances they create themselves more than anything else. I can remember one tap in pass that Chytil somehow flubbed coming from Laf this season.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Welcome to EdJovo's School of pseudopsychological personality analysis and extrapolation
I think you forgot imagination. I kept looking for the part where he "yells at and berates" his dad, and all I saw was a brief moment of minor annoyance with zero raised voices.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Based on what I’ve seen of his play over the course of a few years now and where I think he will progress
How many goals does he have?? 30 30 is a huge step.....he's lucky he can play 55 games a year. ..55 games 10 goals would be my guess. We shall see

Paul Padovano

Dec 24, 2021
I saw svechnikov being brought up in the thread a couple times and i thought that interesting. More because I think they really are not comparable beside their draft position. Although both of great size, kakko's weight distribution is still immature whereas svech looked like a man on draft day.

For svech he actually was not gifted top line minutes at all. He was inconsistent (defensively, penalties etc) but was able to have a much better impact offensively than kakko and laf. He was glued to the 3rd line for most of the first season with martinook and wallmark. It's worth noting martinook and later hamilton really took svech under their wings and mentored him which we dont see much with kakko.[/QUOTE

You don't think Panarin and Strome try to help him out

Paul Padovano

Dec 24, 2021
Sorry I made my comment a part of your quote by accident. I was saying, you don't think Kakko gets help? Even from his linemates

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Chytil and Gauthier have combined for the same number of goals as Rooney and McKegg in fewer games.

When has Lafreniere ever made a move or a pass like this? I think it's certainly something that can be improved when Ryan Reaves is literally a better playmaker.

He made a pass like that to Kakko for a goal last year I think

mottosays

Feb 1, 2022
Chytil and Gauthier have combined for the same number of goals as Rooney and McKegg in fewer games.

When has Lafreniere ever made a move or a pass like this? I think it's certainly something that can be improved when Ryan Reaves is literally a better playmaker.

I don't carry a notepad, but I do recall Lafreniere making me go "ah, that's what he can do" several times when other players couldn't finish his passes.

mottosays

Feb 1, 2022
I also would expect more than 9 assists in 37 games from Kakko in the top six.

Good thing is, we have time. Do you have patience? Cause we have time. It's been 82 years with one Cup. You need f***ing patience with this franchise. We're not Montreal.

Reactions: Scott r

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The standard of “great” is way too low of people think Lafreniere is “great” at anything NHL standard right now. That’s not even an insult that’s just being realistic.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
To be fair Chytil and Goat create and flub their own chances they create themselves more than anything else. I can remember one tap in pass that Chytil somehow flubbed coming from Laf this season.

to be fair pretty hard to set up tap ins for guys outside the dots

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021

Good thing is, we have time. Do you have patience? Cause we have time. It's been 82 years with one Cup. You need f***ing patience with this franchise. We're not Montreal.
Very true....

Paul Padovano

Dec 24, 2021

We didn't have the territorial rights to obtain high end prospects like Tor and Mtl.

Paul Padovano

Dec 24, 2021
The standard of “great” is way too low of people think Lafreniere is “great” at anything NHL standard right now. That’s not even an insult that’s just being realistic.

he's gonna have to b good enough to play rw on that top line. Unless they go out and get a Phil Kessel!!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
he's gonna have to b good enough to play rw on that top line. Unless they go out and get a Phil Kessel!!
I think that’s what they are trying to figure out. But it that’s the case is there room for both?

Paul Padovano

Dec 24, 2021
I think that’s what they are trying to figure out. But it that’s the case is there room for both?
I think Gallant imo, would move Laf to back to third line left wing. I know Kessel only has 5 goals, but he does have two championships. Besides, playing with Zib and CK might give him a kick start...

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Shoot, I would vote for Kravtsov if I could. Because I legitimately have more faith in him than either.

But I guess I have to vote for Kakko.

I just seriously don't see a whole lot to be optimistic about watching Laf play. He still looks slow and still looks like he could use some skating coaching. And at least we've seen Kakko develop parts of his game. I honestly, don't see a huge difference between Laf in his rookie year to this year. Whereas at least Kakko has shown development.

At this point I am just crossing my fingers that Byfield doesn't turn into a player either...... it would just make me feel a little better, that whichever of the two we chose, it wouldn't have mattered. Yea, that's not fair to Byfield, but lol.... I am being selfish.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Not mentally.

Yes, mentally also.

He hasn't shown any "mental" issues whatsoever. He's shown a bit of immaturity and an ego. That's not "mental". Just maturity. Emotional maybe, perspective definitely......not mental.

At least he's shown some fire.

mottosays

Feb 1, 2022
Yes, mentally also.

He hasn't shown any "mental" issues whatsoever. He's shown a bit of immaturity and an ego. That's not "mental". Just maturity. Emotional maybe, perspective definitely......not mental.

At least he's shown some fire.

So mental.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
So mental.

Go ahead.... explain what "mental" deficiency or ailment you perceive? You must be his psychiatrist I guess?

Immaturity is an emotional issue, not "mental". You are conflating the two.

And ego can be a driving force. Ego can inhibit success, but it is also one of the biggest drivers of success. Many great players thrive on their ego.

Not balancing the emotional with the ego, is a sign of immaturity.

mottosays

Feb 1, 2022
Go ahead.... explain what "mental" deficiency or ailment you perceive? You must be his psychiatrist I guess?

Immaturity is an emotional issue, not "mental". You are conflating the two.

And ego can be a driving force. Ego can inhibit success, but it is also one of the biggest drivers of success. Many great players thrive on their ego.

Not balancing the emotional with the ego, is a sign of immaturity.

Quite frankly I'm done with the entire thing. I think the difference in Lafreniere and Kravtsov mentally is quite clear actually.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Quite frankly I'm done with the entire thing. I think the difference in Lafreniere and Kravtsov mentally is quite clear actually.

uh huh. So you don't put any onus on Drury for the situation? From my perspective, he mishandled it completely. And Krav reacted badly. I don't think there's much more to it than that. A lot of folks seem to be claiming all sorts of ridiculous things about Krav, like "he's got real issues" or "he's insane", none of which has been evidenced in any way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad