Kaillie Humphries case thrown out by courts. Bobsledding

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bruce Arthur: Bobsled champion Kaillie Humphries has almost nowhere to turn after courtroom power play hits the wall

"True to her nature, Kaillie Humphries tried. She made it clear at the 2018 Olympics that she was not happy with Canada’s bobsled program. Later that year, she filed a harassment claim against her coach. This year, she filed a lawsuit in the hopes of forcing an exit from Canada to compete for the United States. The lawsuit wasn’t even the equivalent of a bobsled crashing; it was like trying to drive a bobsled on a highway. Still, the three-time Olympic medallist gave it a go. As someone who knows her well once said, she sees almost everyone as competition.

And today Kaillie Humphries should be looking around at piles of ash and wondering, at age 34, if she has run out of bridges to burn.
“She doesn’t even have any bridges,” said one current member of the bobsled program who was granted anonymity due to worries over Humphries’s willingness to retaliate. “She’s on an island.”

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't see why Canada would release her? If she was harassed then that should be dealt with and the people responsible held accountable if it is found there is wrong doing. There is no reason to let her go compete for the Americans though.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't see why Canada would release her? If she was harassed then that should be dealt with and the people responsible held accountable if it is found there is wrong doing. There is no reason to let her go compete for the Americans though.
Why not?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Apparently the American federation has been accused of the same thing as the Canadian. In any event, something sounds fishy in this whole thing. Arthur was very careful with his words.

DangerDarrin

Aug 26, 2014
Should be in all instances, if you compete, you represent the country you were born in. No jumping ship! Nothing more disappointing than an athlete who proudly represents their home country and then leaves for a different one when things go sour

Reactions: Oryxo

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

From bobsled Canada's standpoint, I would be furious if I poured money, time, and other resources into an athlete who would then take her talents to a different nation.

It would set the precedent of Canada becoming a feeder program for other nations.

It would be the sporting equivalent to the "brain drain" issue.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Should be in all instances, if you compete, you represent the country you were born in. No jumping ship! Nothing more disappointing than an athlete who proudly represents their home country and then leaves for a different one when things go sour

I don't think this was done out of sheer boredom, though.....if her initial claim is accurate, that she was abused while under watch from the Canadian bobsled team, I can't really fault her for being unable to reconcile and wanting to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad