Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Oh yes def, I only thought otter because maybe he’d show more ‘flash’ with those two. Though it wouldn’t surprise me to see Berard elevate the current Ros role.
It's just irksome to me as a KK fan - Laf was able to take that step when he got to play with great linemates. That's how forward development almost always goes. I don't think Kakko will ever get that chance on NYR.

Reactions: Rongomania

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's just irksome to me as a KK fan - Laf was able to take that step when he got to play with great linemates. That's how forward development almost always goes. I don't think Kakko will ever get that chance on NYR.
The problem is the Best Buds need a speed guy, and Chytil was out most of the year. Kakko would be a monster if he had a cycling center. 2006 Michael Nylander.

Reactions: Rongomania

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Kaapo was on his horse last night. He flashed some speed. There seems to be potential remaining to be tapped. Just needs to be all the time and not in flashes.
And maybe he needs to play with a good player who supports him for a while. Like Panarin has with Laf.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
And maybe he needs to play with a good player who supports him for a while. Like Panarin has with Laf.
861FCF87-6285-4FFE-8A95-FF5D59BCFE8A.jpeg

Chris Drury:

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Wennberg and Cuylle are right for him until he solidly integrates rush play into his game

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It looks like Chytil has replaced KK on the second PP. I hope that lights a fire under Kaapo. Can not be easy on the ego being replaced by a guy who has played 1 game in 6 months. Would be great if KK gets really competitive and comes out on fire.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
It looks like Chytil has replaced KK on the second PP. I hope that lights a fire under Kaapo. Can not be easy on the ego being replaced by a guy who has played 1 game in 6 months. Would be great if KK gets really competitive and comes out on fire.
I cannot say I disagree with the decision since the PP2 unit has been ineffective.

But I really feel like Kakko is capable of being a big game player. He just hasn’t found that gear yet. I don’t know why either. He regressed against Carolina compared to how he looked in round 1.

The entire third line looked a little lost in the offensive zone the last 2 games of the series.

I think he needs to work with Laf’s guy in the offseason to improve his speed. He just gets smothered out there.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Yes it would be!

Reactions: NickyFotiu

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
PP2 is a trainwreck anyway. Wennberg, Roslovic, Trouba.... it's clear the coaches don't even bother.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Kakko wasn't on PP2 anyway. Trouba had already replaced him a while ago.

What they should really do is stop playing PP2 at all. I don't know why they've been using it more in the playoffs. Just look at Edmonton. All five of their PP1 guys have 47-49 mins at 5v4. The leader of PP2 is Perry with 7 minutes.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Kakko wasn't on PP2 anyway. Trouba had already replaced him a while ago.

What they should really do is stop playing PP2 at all. I don't know why they've been using it more in the playoffs. Just look at Edmonton. All five of their PP1 guys have 47-49 mins at 5v4. The leader of PP2 is Perry with 7 minutes.
I wish we’d do that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad