Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think they should zig and embrace Mikas line being a matchup one. There's Larry Brooks 3rd line. Kreider-Z-Kakko.

Next year focus on basically making a sheltered second scoring line. You can probably get some guys with warts for cheap to make that happen.

Panarins line is the top line anyway, just gotta beat on Laf to be more engaged in the D zone so they don't get scored on so much.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I will recheck, but I did look it up.
….
Okay you are correct. Somehow I mathed in shithouse fashion. My apologies.
Point still stands: they need to score more at even strength. 20 and 93 have 30 EV goals combined. 10 and 13 have 57…
And I hear the center in between 10&13 has been pretty OK as well

Reactions: bhamill

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
People thought Laf wouldn’t break out like Kakko last year. How are our fans this dumb? Give him time. You are seeing in real time how bad these takes eventually look. Young kids. Let them develop. In the meantime, the team is first in hockey.

Laf took a step forward this season when he abandoned David Quinn and Gerald Gallant "hockey". He's now skating in open areas and keeping his feet moving, much like Tro and Bread are doing. Gone are the days where he was obliged to watch his every step for a turnover and choked of his creativity and instincts etc blabla.

Kakko is different to Laf in that he is more of a "thinker" for better and worse. But the same basics apply to him, next season he has to improve his skating and find that open ice movement and play with complementary players that fit his style.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think they should zig and embrace Mikas line being a matchup one. There's Larry Brooks 3rd line. Kreider-Z-Kakko.

Next year focus on basically making a sheltered second scoring line. You can probably get some guys with warts for cheap to make that happen.

Panarins line is the top line anyway, just gotta beat on Laf to be more engaged in the D zone so they don't get scored on so much.

How about we move out underperforming salary and go get a real 1C?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Laf took a step forward this season when he abandoned David Quinn and Gerald Gallant "hockey". He's now skating in open areas and keeping his feet moving, much like Tro and Bread are doing. Gone are the days where he was obliged to watch his every step for a turnover and choked of his creativity and instincts etc blabla.

Kakko is different to Laf in that he is more of a "thinker" for better and worse. But the same basics apply to him, next season he has to improve his skating and find that open ice movement and play with complementary players that fit his style.

I remember that photo of Lavi pulling Laf aside and talking to him during practice in the preseason. I think they really made it a point to get him going but I don’t get that they made Kakko the same priority. Which is ironic because I think he needs the Stuart Smalley treatment more than anyone.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

The biggest thing Kakko needs to start doing is asserting himself physically - taking pucks to the net directly instead of perimeter routes, and initiating battles rather than just responding to defensemen initiating battles. Play with a little bit of a mean streak, it will create more space for him and for his linemats. I'd live with the odd aggressive penalty if it meant him turning into a consistent 20-30-50 kind of player at this point, but he's still way too reluctant to get the puck to the middle of the ice. He's good along the wall, but that's not enough by itself. He's got to work plays to the middle to unlock his offense. His skating speed and acceleration needs to be better as well, but if he leans into playing like a power forward, that's where the bulk of his offense can come from.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Couldn't tell this was the Kakko thread reading the last page and a half haha. This thread is now sitting in the Mika Krieder Cuckchair.

Anyways, the story continues to be positive for Kakko! I'm weary to put him back with those donkeys. Give the third line some more ice time. Hell give the 2nd PP more time.

Lets get another goal next came and really start getting this kid feeling confident before playoffs.

yeah-kaapo-kakko.gif

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
2+2 in his last 4.

4+2 in his last 9.

Like I said, just keep the kid on the scoresheet tomorrow and that's a big step for him, at a very good time. I'd prefer a goal but another point I'd be happy with from him.

He gets on streaks but he really needs another player who can score on his line so he can get some assists.

Like maybe Chytil.

Blasds

Feb 15, 2020
I agree but it’s a tough situation. He’s not going to get 1 PP minutes here, likely ever…. He hasn’t meshed with Zibby/kreids for 2 extended looks this season.
Best case, he should be in the PK rotation imo. At least that gets him more minutes on the ice.
If trade, I’d wager he flourishes. Some team will give him more minutes and pk -pp opportunities and lets the bugs work themselves out
«The skills are key to music, not your squabble.

Your changing seats, or places, or positions
Will not help you, my friends, become musicians.»

//

Ivan Krylov
Quartet​

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
9 goals, 14 points in last 28 games averaging 12:53 per game. Not sure how much longer Laviolette can keep deploying him 11 minutes. It's getting ridiculous now. I also thought the Wennberg line was going to be the matchup line. He will score 25 goals and 50+ points next year for another team and a lot of people are going to be livid, including myself, but I see it coming.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
He gets on streaks but he really needs another player who can score on his line so he can get some assists.

Like maybe Chytil.
Yeah, it can't be said enough how much Chytil is missed. This team would be so much better if he was here. I really hope he can get healthy in general, but obviously selfishly want him back.

Year 2 Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko is something to be excited about

Reactions: B17 Apricots

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
9 goals, 14 points in last 28 games averaging 12:53 per game. Not sure how much longer Laviolette can keep deploying him 11 minutes. It's getting ridiculous now. I also thought the Wennberg line was going to be the matchup line. He will score 25 goals and 50+ points next year for another team and a lot of people are going to be livid, including myself, but I see it coming.

He's not going anywhere.

NYRfan39

Dec 29, 2011
Maybe I am in the minority here with my take, but I simply do not see Kakko flourishing with the Rangers.
I was high on him in the past, but I don't see the improvements where they need to be.
I like his board work, hes very strong in there. He does the cut one way, cut the other way, and controls the puck. Its what he does after that I don't like. A) takes a poor angle shot. B) loses control of it. C) Forces a bad pass.

The Rangers as a whole play with really good flow and chemistry. When I see Kakko, hes usually killing the play or changing the flow. How often do you see him doing a touch pass. Its like he plays very reactive but doesnt really have great hockey IQ.

I think he would be a great fit on some other bottom dwelling teams. He busts his ass. He has a decent shot when hes wide open. Hes a great 1v1 player, great puck protection, but I dont think hes a great linemate.

Ive been a kakko fan up until this season, and while I see improvements, I dont see his game meshing with the Rangers flow at all.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Maybe I am in the minority here with my take, but I simply do not see Kakko flourishing with the Rangers.
I was high on him in the past, but I don't see the improvements where they need to be.
I like his board work, hes very strong in there. He does the cut one way, cut the other way, and controls the puck. Its what he does after that I don't like. A) takes a poor angle shot. B) loses control of it. C) Forces a bad pass.

The Rangers as a whole play with really good flow and chemistry. When I see Kakko, hes usually killing the play or changing the flow. How often do you see him doing a touch pass. Its like he plays very reactive but doesnt really have great hockey IQ.

I think he would be a great fit on some other bottom dwelling teams. He busts his ass. He has a decent shot when hes wide open. Hes a great 1v1 player, great puck protection, but I dont think hes a great linemate.

Ive been a kakko fan up until this season, and while I see improvements, I dont see his game meshing with the Rangers flow at all.

Like Lafreniere was last year (though Laf was to a more extreme degree), Kakko is playing with limited confidence (and has been since he arrived, thanks to Quinn and Gallant).

Not saying that's not a problem, but the solution is way different than a player whose talent wasn't there. I thought Laviollette/Peca/Muse would get a handle on Kakko quicker as they clearly did with Laf, but it hasn't happened yet. I still have hope that they will.

It's also true that he's not as close as a prospect to Jack Hughes as people were saying at draft time. Kakko isn't going to be that 80-90 point player to Hughes' 100 points.

But I think he will absolutely be a 25-25-50 guy with great defense at some point and that's if what we see is all he is. Since his return from injury he's pacing for 24+ goals over 82 games. He's our fourth leading goal scorer at 5v5 per 60 at ES. Ahead of Mika. He needs to stop getting injured and stop getting jostled around and he needs to play on a functional 5v5 line with someone else, a center, who can put the puck in the net. If he gets those things I think he already hits 25-25-50. He was at 40 points last year at age 21.

The question with Kakko is whether he can take a step to 60-70 points with great defense.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Would be nice to see Kakko in a team that lives off the cycle, instead of the rush. And hopefully that team would be the Rangers. Not with the way our current top-6 is constructed though.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Kakko is paired with Brodzinski at the moment. He was on a line with Panarin for 3 seconds and scored. No idea how this thread is being bumped for negativity. He's been more than solid in the few minutes he gets every game. If we want to bump a thread for negativity, find a Trouba one, or something Lavy related for taking Cuylle away from what was a very good line.

NYRfan39

Dec 29, 2011
Like Lafreniere was last year (though Laf was to a more extreme degree), Kakko is playing with limited confidence (and has been since he arrived, thanks to Quinn and Gallant).

Not saying that's not a problem, but the solution is way different than a player whose talent wasn't there. I thought Laviollette/Peca/Muse would get a handle on Kakko quicker as they clearly did with Laf, but it hasn't happened yet. I still have hope that they will.

It's also true that he's not as close as a prospect to Jack Hughes as people were saying at draft time. Kakko isn't going to be that 80-90 point player to Hughes' 100 points.

But I think he will absolutely be a 25-25-50 guy with great defense at some point and that's if what we see is all he is. Since his return from injury he's pacing for 24+ goals over 82 games. He's our fourth leading goal scorer at 5v5 per 60 at ES. Ahead of Mika. He needs to stop getting injured and stop getting jostled around and he needs to play on a functional 5v5 line with someone else, a center, who can put the puck in the net. If he gets those things I think he already hits 25-25-50. He was at 40 points last year at age 21.

The question with Kakko is whether he can take a step to 60-70 points with great defense.
i agree he will be a 25/25 guy as well. I believe thats about his ceiling. To me, Laf is a completely different player. Kakko, aside from confidence, gets juggled around a lot because he really isnt the type of player that meshes well with anyone. Hes more of a strong 1v1 in the corner battles type of guy. Defensively he is good. I think he will be a solid 3rd/4th liner. Its his game. To me, to be on a top line, you have to have hockey IQ and solid individual skills. He has the skills, just not the IQ. Hes in his own world when I see him with the puck.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad