Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You could ask every single player in the world, and I am not kidding here, and they will tell you the better spot to be is with Kreider and Z as opposed to Cuylle and f***ing Jonny Brodzinski. Come on guys.

Kakko needs to just take that next crossover towards the net. Don't spin back into the boards. Don't pass it to some shitty d man. Take it yourself and move to the middle. Just 1 crossover.

Also everyone was clamoring for heads to roll when kakko was moved off the Z line early in the year screaming about "But the numbers say!!!" The numbers say 7 f***ing goals. That's what they say.
I understand your point. For me in regards to KK a lot would depend on which line is facing 1st pair Dmen and which line was facing 3rd pair Dmen.

Reactions: MrAlmost

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It can be and is true that Kakko is in part to blame for not being better than he is, while also being true that the team bears a lot of blame itself and also true that some players just work better in different roles or on different lines, and Kakko was working better on that Cuylle line.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Depends on your version of production. Its hard to say a guy is a good player if he can only put up decent production with a couple of guys on the team. Even when we went on our playoff run a few years ago he was not producing that much. Chytil and Laf were almost doubling his production on the same line. I'm not bashing KK. Just being realistic. His production is his production. It can't always be every one else's fault. I do think its often been better for KK to be on a 3rd line facing 3rd pair defensemen.
That is definitely part of the discussion about him being a fit for this team. He is not a line driver, no doubt. He is a useful player, especially when paired correctly. Trading him for a better fit in the offseason should be considered, but for now they need to utilize him to get the most from him.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That is definitely part of the discussion about him being a fit for this team. He is not a line driver, no doubt. He is a useful player, especially when paired correctly. Trading him for a better fit in the offseason should be considered, but for now they need to utilize him to get the most from him.
I think the rest of this season and playoffs are important for KK's future as a NYR. I would almost look at them as a tryout to see how invested we should be down the road.

Reactions: dshea19

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Kakko had the puck behind the net in a recent game. Nobody on the Rangers moved. Zib, Kreider and the D were standing still watching. Rantanen had the exact same position against the Red Wings, Lehkonen and Mackinnon skated towards the net and created openings, Rantanen put the puck on Lehkonen's stick and he scored. This is COACHING. It's been the same for years. Ranger o-zone play is stagnant and stupid.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Apparently Dolan wants to make a splash at draft.

Does Kakko, Jones and 1st round in pick 24 get top 10 pick?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

7A0361EC-9B04-417E-A8AC-99BF1A2598C4.jpeg

The Kak stays a Ranger. Eat it haterz.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kakko had the puck behind the net in a recent game. Nobody on the Rangers moved. Zib, Kreider and the D were standing still watching. Rantanen had the exact same position against the Red Wings, Lehkonen and Mackinnon skated towards the net and created openings, Rantanen put the puck on Lehkonen's stick and he scored. This is COACHING. It's been the same for years. Ranger o-zone play is stagnant and stupid.
Eh, the Panarin line moves and does those things. The third line at least cycles.

It's Mika and Kreider...if they're not trying to feather a pass to each other on the rush they're being soft on the boards and losing the puck. They don't know what to do in the offensive zone right now.

Which IMO means that Kakko needs to take control and make his own chances when he gets the puck. Don't defer, don't pass it off, just go to the net or shoot the puck time and time again.

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
So happy he’s not gone (along with Othman and 1st rounder) for a rental. Although he’s not our savior on that first line, he can’t be the scapegoat for 93 and 20s abysmal even strength play. If chytil ever plays again, he and kakko are going to make us all so happy we didn’t trade him away for a rental.

We don’t need guentzel or buch or tuch. I get our window is now with this current core, but If 93 and 20 wake up and Igor plays at the level he is capable of, we have just as good a shot as anyone

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Keep Kakko away from Zib. Kakko has produced on the 3rd line with Cuylle and Brodzinski. He should be good with Wennberg, I would think.
Absolutely agreed.....

...and to me that is more of a veteran 30 yr old, Alternative Captain, Mika problem (Oh and I love Mika, just not the way he's playing this year).

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
Keep Kakko away from Zib. Kakko has produced on the 3rd line with Cuylle and Brodzinski. He should be good with Wennberg, I would think.
I can’t imagine how different the story would be if chytil was still playing. Hoping to god he can recover like crosby did from his thousand concussions

Reactions: Rongomania

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I wouldn’t have understood moving him for a rental. That is horrible asset management. If you trade him, you do it in the offseason to get a better long term fit for the team. Trading him for someone that you have for 2 months is pointless. The idea that Guentzel would have made the Rangers a much better team is a bit much. Having him would have been great, but if Mika isn’t stepping up then Guentzel is wasted. A single guy radically changing a team in a sport that your best forwards play less than half the time is a bit much to ask. Bringing in big players allows you to have 2nd liners on your 3rd line and create depth mismatches, but losing Kakko would have lost that benefit. I am just not a fan of spending big at the deadline. I can’t think of any time where it truly put a team over the top and won a championship.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I wouldn’t have understood moving him for a rental. That is horrible asset management. If you trade him, you do it in the offseason to get a better long term fit for the team. Trading him for someone that you have for 2 months is pointless. The idea that Guentzel would have made the Rangers a much better team is a bit much. Having him would have been great, but if Mika isn’t stepping up then Guentzel is wasted. A single guy radically changing a team in a sport that your best forwards play less than half the time is a bit much to ask. Bringing in big players allows you to have 2nd liners on your 3rd line and create depth mismatches, but losing Kakko would have lost that benefit. I am just not a fan of spending big at the deadline. I can’t think of any time where it truly put a team over the top and won a championship.
I agree with this sentiment despite my last post. Those big Trade Deadline deals have rarely resulted in a cup. The team you built over the years is the team that’s going to win it or lose it. You can get a piece or 2 to help, but true chemistry in hockey takes a long time to develop.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
It's funny that Florida went all in 2 years ago and got swept in the 2nd round, squeaked into the playoffs last year and did nothing at the deadline... Stanley cup appearance. So much randomness, injuries, match-ups, player usage, getting hot at the right time. Eric Staal was a dud for us, we went for the big fish last year... first round exit. Fill the holes at a reasonable price. I think Drury had a smart deadline.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I was in the Laffy thread when 99% of the posters in here gave up on him, I was laughed at, I always said he'd turn it around. He's on the way up and showing why we drafted him where we did.

I believe the same for Kakko. He's a prototypical powerforward that has some incredible strength and great hands. These guys develop late. He might not prime until his late 20's.

Both of these kids have had a slow start to their careers, but they are good men without huge ego's. That allows them to learn and adapt. Sure, I wish they were both day 1 superstars, but there are just so many bad takes in here, its insane.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I was in the Laffy thread when 99% of the posters in here gave up on him, I was laughed at, I always said he'd turn it around. He's on the way up and showing why we drafted him where we did.

I believe the same for Kakko. He's a prototypical powerforward that has some incredible strength and great hands. These guys develop late. He might not prime until his late 20's.

Both of these kids have had a slow start to their careers, but they are good men without huge ego's. That allows them to learn and adapt. Sure, I wish they were both day 1 superstars, but there are just so many bad takes in here, its insane.
Very unlikely (not impossible) that a #2 overall draft pick stays with his original team if he does not reach his prime until his late 20's imo. That would be multiple contracts in to the future. The team may get tired of waiting. The fanbase may get tired of waiting. The team may feel he has more value as a trade piece. Another team may hope that a change of scenery will help. Hopefully for us #NYR fans and for KK himself he reaches his prime sooner rather than later.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I think alot of people are underestimating how hard it is for a top player to come in, and probably for the first time in their career asked to be a star without the minutes and time.
Byfield (injuries not included) has struggled just as much on LA.
I think Laf is a great example of finally finding a good fit in terms of support around him, and he exploded. I think Kakko has flashed here and there, and those flashes give me hope for him.
He had a better year last year than Laf, with a worse coach.
I think that if we had moved him for guentzel it would've bitten us so hard.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think alot of people are underestimating how hard it is for a top player to come in, and probably for the first time in their career asked to be a star without the minutes and time.
Byfield (injuries not included) has struggled just as much on LA.
I think Laf is a great example of finally finding a good fit in terms of support around him, and he exploded. I think Kakko has flashed here and there, and those flashes give me hope for him.
He had a better year last year than Laf, with a worse coach.
I think that if we had moved him for guentzel it would've bitten us so hard.
I agree that it is tough for a young guy but after several seasons it becomes either you do it or you don't. For what it is worth Byfield is producing well now. KK seems like a good kid. The kind of kid I want to succeed as a NYR. With that said its up to KK. If he has a top 6 future he should start excelling on the 3rd line going against 3rd pairing Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad