Should we sign him to…

• Bridge deal

• Long term

Results are only viewable after voting.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
What do you guys think Kakko’s contract should look like? I somehow forgot that his ELC ends this season, pretty sobering considering all those posts years ago about how important having a star 80pt player on his ELC would be. Do you think we should bridge him or take the chance and sign him long term?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I align with @Ola s philosophy on bridge deals. Tbh we'll have to bridge him to make the cap work but I'd prefer a long term deal. It's not going to make him difficult to move if we have to and it could pay off enormously if he starts seeing any power play time ever.

Reactions: Ola

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
What do you guys think Kakko’s contract should look like? I somehow forgot that his ELC ends this season, pretty sobering considering all those posts years ago about how important having a star 80pt player on his ELC would be. Do you think we should bridge him or take the chance and sign him long term?

Trade

• Wow
Reactions: EdJovanovski

OTGHockey

Mar 25, 2022
outsidethegarden.com
If they sign him to a long term contract, then they're not going to be able to afford a second line center IMO...at least without weakening other areas (for instance moving both Chytil and Lindgren).

More likely I'd expect a two year deal for Kakko, which would carry the Rangers through the worst two years of Cap pain, but could then cost them dearly down the road. With the current expectation that the Salary Cap will significantly rise for the 2025-26 season, the Rangers are likely to be making some hard choices in the next three seasons.

Chytil, Jones, Lafreniere and Miller all are due contracts at the end of next season. Lindgren and Schneider the year after. Kreider and Trouba move off a full no-move for the 2024-25 seasons, which could give the Rangers a couple more options for that season, but ultimately some of these guys aren't going to be playing out their contracts or getting moved.

The biggest problem for the Rangers is that they need some cheap players who can play in their line-up to balance off the huge contracts that Panarin, Trouba Zibanejad and Fox have, and to a lesser extent Kreider and Shesterkin (plus Copp or Strome if they were to resign either).

Kakko potentially fits that profile, but it depends on him finding his game and becoming a top six contributor. Same goes for Lafreniere. The advantage Kakko would seemingly have, is that he's a right wing on a team with lack of depth on that spot, with the top forward prospects at this point being Othmann (LW) and to a lesser extent Will Cuylle (LW) and Ryder Korczak (C).

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Hes gonna want a bridge I assume, I wouldn't mind giving him the recent extension that Carolina gave Kotkaniemi.
Speaking of Kotkaniemi I am beginning to fear the possibility of an offer-sheet

Reactions: mas0764

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Not sure why he would even sign a long term contract at this point, unless he thinks he will never get better.

2X2.5

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I am beginning to fear the possibility of an offer-sheet
I don't think KK would sign one
i think he likes it here, and they have taken care of him thru covid and injuries, etc

despite the way HFB posters talk about offer sheets,
we all know the player has to agree to it, not just have it offered

NYR only really bad outcome is if he signs one for just less than $4.111M AAV (Comp just a 2nd)
But I presume they'd find a way to match

Compensation is determined by the annual average (AAV) outlined in the offer made by submitting club.
The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required,
is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
number of years offered, or five (5) years
ANNUAL AVERAGE (AAV) VALUECOMPENSATION
$1 - $1,356,540No Compensation
$1,356,541 - $2,055,3641 Third Round Pick
$2,055,365 - $4,110,7321 Second Round Pick
$4,110,733 - $6,166,0961 First Round Pick & 1 Third Round Pick
$6,166,097 - $8,221,4631 First Round Pick, 1 Second Round Pick & 1 Third Round Pick
$8,221,464 - $10,276,8292 First Round Picks, 1 Second Round Pick & 1 Third Round Pick
$10,276,830 - ∞4 First Round Picks

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I really want us to figure out something for 5-6 years with this guy, cutting depth elsewhere. I think there is huge contract steal potential. Would Kakko sign at $4.5m x 6 years? Maybe not, but I’d shave Nemeth and Reaves to make that happen. No risk it, no biscuit.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I really want us to figure out something for 5-6 years with this guy, cutting depth elsewhere. I think there is huge contract steal potential. Would Kakko sign at $4.5m x 6 years? Maybe not, but I’d shave Nemeth and Reaves to make that happen. No risk it, no biscuit.
Kinky

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They can’t afford a second line center and Kakko at $4m+ unless they move someone else expensive which I keep being told won’t happen despite Edge saying it is being discussed.

And that should be frightening because a $4m offer is just a second round pick compensation and there is zero reason that every team with cap room shouldn’t try to make that deal for him.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
They can’t afford a second line center and Kakko at $4m+ unless they move someone else expensive which I keep being told won’t happen despite Edge saying it is being discussed.

And that should be frightening because a $4m offer is just a second round pick compensation and there is zero reason that every team with cap room shouldn’t try to make that deal for him.

Rangers would 100% match a 4 mil deal. In fact, if someone offers 4x6 and he signs, they would probably be doing us a mega favor by forcing our hand. These bridge deals have f***ed us in the past and it's time we got away from them, especially in situations like this where the steal potential is obvious.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Rangers would 100% match a 4 mil deal. In fact, if someone offers 4x6 and he signs, they would probably be doing us a mega favor by forcing our hand. These bridge deals have f***ed us in the past and it's time we got away from them, especially in situations like this where the steal potential is obvious.
Don’t know what we are doing elsewhere on the roster then.

But I agree I wish we’d do a long term deal.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Don’t know what we are doing elsewhere on the roster then.

But I agree I wish we’d do a long term deal.

They can figure it out. Strome will probably be gone. Georgiev is definitely gone and replaced with an 800K backup. Nemeth should be axed. Reaves too. Lundqvists buyout is coming off the books. After next year the rest of the buyouts are off as well. They've got some cheap guys locked up for the bottom lines already, Hunt, Brod, etc.

To be honest, I'd also dump Lindgren and bump Miller up. Pair Trouba with Jones or Nils.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Depends on the numbers.

If he wants 8 years at 5M i take that in a heartbeat (he won’t)

It will likely be bridge

2 years at 3M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad