JVR - Are we over him yet?

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
He was particularly good last night.

I think he should be bringing more, but maybe it is the line combination that is holding him back.

Maybe they should try him with a different center ... someone like Nylander?

Do you you think JVR would clear waivers?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He was particularly good last night.

I think he should be bringing more, but maybe it is the line combination that is holding him back.

Maybe they should try him with a different center ... someone like Nylander?

Agreed. He looked solid at both ends and had some big hits too. Thats the JVR i want to see.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
I was at the game, and the first comment I made the entire night was "JVR just threw 3 hits, he's gonna have a game tonight".

The problem is his consistency--he seems invisible so many nights. I'm not sure if the Kadri-JVR chemistry is there either, not yet, but it is improving. Oddly, he's the least scrutinized Leaf in the media, despite his ups and downs, which is probably good--he seems like a good kid, and I don't think he's matured quite yet. I suppose I've always viewed him as a potential Andreychuk-type player, so I'm always expecting him to wreak havoc in front of that net like a big moose.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR is such a hard decision to make, the best time to trade him would be in the off-season right before his NTC kicks in and you lose half his value/leverage. At the same time he's still young enough to be a part of the core. Really really hard decision going forward. He'd give the Leafs at the very least a 1st round pick plus top prospect. Probably another pick in there as well.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR is a legit around 30ish goal scoring winger in the nhl...thats a big piece towards building a great team...u dont just for some reason want to get rid of this cus ur team is bad right now

I don't think it has as much to do with where the team is at then it is about him being inconsistent. If we keep him and allow his NTC to kick in then we're betting on him becoming a way more consistent player. Let's be honest..he has all the potential in the world and he can be so much more than he is right now, I think his consistency game to game needs improvement. Now balance that against what we could get for him in a trade on an affordable contract before his NTC kicks in and the Leafs lose a lot of their leverage if they allow that to happen.

Last edited:

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Although he has not been the worst Leaf this season, he certainly has not been this two way big guy popping in goals that we were led to believe in the off season.
In fact, to my eyes he still looks very disinterested most of the time. Is his value beginning to drop?

Are we over JVR yet?

Guys like JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Bozak are solid NHLers. Maybe once in a while they might flash a bit of brilliance because technically the talent is there.

But the reality is they are all complimentary players. They need all-stars like Kessel to make them look better or to bring out the talent.

On a team like we have this year, everyone looks mediocre.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
The problem is his consistency--he seems invisible so many nights. I'm not sure if the Kadri-JVR chemistry is there either, not yet, but it is improving. Oddly, he's the least scrutinized Leaf in the media, despite his ups and downs, which is probably good--he seems like a good kid, and I don't think he's matured quite yet. I suppose I've always viewed him as a potential Andreychuk-type player, so I'm always expecting him to wreak havoc in front of that net like a big moose.

You nailed it point blank.

Something doesn't work with him and Kadri and figuring that out will be a key to this teams future. I have a theory as to what it is but that's what it is, a theory/pure speculation. Kadri and his tendency to be unpredictable with the puck and always making that extra move at the blue line and wanting to be a one man show. JvR and Bozak works better in my opinion, Kadri with Grabner would be better suited to match skillset with skillset.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
JVR is what JVR is.

solid player. very good 2nd liner / complementary 1st liner. paid appropriately.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JVR would look good in a Columbus jersey and Ryan Johansen would look good under ACC lighting regularly.

Ditto for JVR in Denver and Duchene in TO.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You nailed it point blank.

Something doesn't work with him and Kadri and figuring that out will be a key to this teams future. I have a theory as to what it is but that's what it is, a theory/pure speculation. Kadri and his tendency to be unpredictable with the puck and always making that extra move at the blue line and wanting to be a one man show. JvR and Bozak works better in my opinion, Kadri with Grabner would be better suited to match skillset with skillset.

Bozak seems to work better iMhO because hes always looking for the pass and JVR is a shooter.

Nazem seems to always be looking for the shot.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
JVR would look good in a Columbus jersey and Ryan Johansen would look good under ACC lighting regularly.

Ditto for JVR in Denver and Duchene in TO.

I ****ing wish man.

What do you think we'd have to add?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
JVR is what JVR is.

solid player. very good 2nd liner / complementary 1st liner. paid appropriately.

Bingo. And the problem to me lies in his contract length.

I think the third season from here is when we're turning the corner and having a player of his ilk could be huge, and we'll be looking to add a similar secondary piece like that to the "young core". Question is, is it worth gambling on keeping him and being able to re-sign him as a "self-trade" at that time, or better to cash in now whether in picks, prospects, or other young young complementary roster players.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I wish I made a mental note of what game so I could go back and get an image but earlier in the year JVR was getting head locked in an after the whistle scrum. You could see his face and he was just chewing his mouth guard with the most disinterested look on his face. It seemed like he had 0 care about the game and had simply retreated to his happy place.

I really think he's just going through the motions and steps up here and there after he gets called out by the coaching staff to get them off his back.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I wish I made a mental note of what game so I could go back and get an image but earlier in the year JVR was getting head locked in an after the whistle scrum. You could see his face and he was just chewing his mouth guard with the most disinterested look on his face. It seemed like he had 0 care about the game and had simply retreated to his happy place.

I really think he's just going through the motions and steps up here and there after he gets called out by the coaching staff to get them off his back.

I don't know about that. One thing that impressed me this year was the last game v. NYR. Kadri had kind of a running thing with Jarret Stoll, and at one point JvR came over and drove his shoulder into Stoll. That never would have happened last year, and I was impressed with Jimmy Hands sticking up for Kadri.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Leading the team in points with 16 in 24 games. Would put him around the same scoring pace as last season in terms of points (55'ish).

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
He really misses Phil Kessel it seems. He has potential it seems. Kind of annoying though how he always chews on his mouth guard when the camera is zoomed on him can never look at him when he does that.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think JVR looks excellent this year.

He looks like a completely different player from what we saw under Carlyle. A lot less cheating, a lot more engaging.

IF Kadri had more than 3 goals, you'd imagine JVR would have even more points.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
He's quietly having a very good season. :handclap:

Nice to see too. I was pretty critical of him in the offseason, but he's playing a much more complete game this season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's quietly having a very good season. :handclap:

Nice to see too. I was pretty critical of him in the offseason, but he's playing a much more complete game this season.

The trade value he holds is huge at this point. Maybe better than if he had been moved at any time between last years trade deadline and the draft.

Lou would move him of topping off the defense was available. I don't think they will move him for draft picks and prospects. If at all really.

I still hope they move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad