Player Discussion Justin Schultz

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
First one was Hendricks not being able to take a pass.

But at least he played better than Clendenning did last game. That's something, I guess.
True but why pinch on the play, either the 2 Oiler forwards gain possession or they don't but giving up a 2 on 1 there is moronic at best.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Either he's lost the passion for the sport or maybe he's hiding something in his personal life that is really distracting him. Not sure. But we can all agree he doesn't even look like he wants to be there anymore. I hope PC can work a miracle and move this guy at the deadline.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Either he's lost the passion for the sport or maybe he's hiding something in his personal life that is really distracting him. Not sure. But we can all agree he doesn't even look like he wants to be there anymore. I hope PC can work a miracle and move this guy at the deadline.

I think simply put is that the way he was evaluated as a player, and an agent that overrated his talents were his downfall.

I remember the fact that Anaheim didn't feel he was ready to get any games with big club.

He was extremely overhyped imo, and filled the need for the Oilers as an offensive defenseman.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I mean realistically Schultz never once showed much passion at any point of my viewings of him. Its clear he doesn't take hockey or his training as seriously as he should. He's really just not good at any facet of the game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean realistically Schultz never once showed much passion at any point of my viewings of him. Its clear he doesn't take hockey or his training as seriously as he should. He's really just not good at any facet of the game.

He's talented, I don't have much doubt about that ... having said that he totally comes off as a guy who likes to play hockey, but doesn't necessarily *love* to play. It's something he likes to have fun at and that's great when things are easy, but he has no motor or push back when things get tough.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He looks and plays like he doesn't care at all. He had a pretty decent rookie season and then fell off a cliff, maybe Eakins got to him.

But there was always talk that he only chose the Oilers so he could step into the NHL right away and make money. And the most emotion or care we've seen out of him in his three years was when he scored a meaningless goal in the finale of the lockout season. The speculation on here was he hit some kind of bonus. Watch:

[nhl]431229[/nhl]

Paid almost $8M the past two seasons for playing horrendous hockey, and now he's set up where he won't make less than $3.9M next season unless whatever team he's on in June decides not to qualify him, at which point he'll get to choose any team in the league. No wonder he doesn't care.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He looks and plays like he doesn't care at all. He had a pretty decent rookie season and then fell off a cliff, maybe Eakins got to him.

But there was always talk that he only chose the Oilers so he could step into the NHL right away and make money. And the most emotion or care we've seen out of him in his three years was when he scored a meaningless goal in the finale of the lockout season. The speculation on here was he hit some kind of bonus.

[nhl]431229[/nhl]

Yup celebrated like he'd scored a playoff OT winner ... in a nothing regular season game because of hitting performance bonuses. That always rubbed me the wrong way.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
First one was Hendricks not being able to take a pass.

But at least he played better than Clendenning did last game. That's something, I guess.

How is that Hendricks fault? Shultz throws the puck to him where there is an opposing player with 2 feet of him of course it's going to be a turnover. Not only that but Shultz follows his pass when there were 2 Oilers already in that area and him doing that let Leivo go in from the blue line to score with no back checking him.

Seriously, you think Shultz played better in this game than Clendening did in the NJ game when Shultz was at fault for both Maple Leaf goals? I'll take Clendening making mistakes over Shultz every day.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How is that Hendricks fault? Shultz throws the puck to him where there is an opposing player with 2 feet of him of course it's going to be a turnover. Not only that but Shultz follows his pass when there were 2 Oilers already in that area and him doing that let Leivo go in from the blue line to score with no back checking him.

Seriously, you think Shultz played better in this game than Clendening did in the NJ game when Shultz was at fault for both Maple Leaf goals? I'll take Clendening making mistakes over Shultz every day.

Can we have neither.

I've seen a bad defenseman before. I'm sure Clendening qualifies.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I came over expecting some reasonable comments after the good game Schultz had, as we hear all the time when he's had a bad game.

No surprises, I guess. People are so blinded by hate they can`t see what`s right in front of them.

Schultz had a good game and if he played like this all the time, it would definitely help the Oil. Unfortunately, he has more poor games than good but he deserves credit when playing well. He made some good defensive plays, skated well and make good reads/passes.

All of you trying so hard to pick out minor details throughout his 14 minutes of playing time look real silly.
You could do that for any player on the ice and find faults/mistakes. I trust TM that a very qualified NHL coach knows what he's doing.

This collective mob mentality blindness is getting a bit ridiculous.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I came over expecting some reasonable comments after the good game Schultz had, as we hear all the time when he's had a bad game.

No surprises, I guess. People are so blinded by hate they can`t see what`s right in front of them.

Schultz had a good game and if he played like this all the time, it would definitely help the Oil. Unfortunately, he has more poor games than good but he deserves credit when playing well. He made some good defensive plays, skated well and make good reads/passes.

All of you trying so hard to pick out minor details throughout his 14 minutes of playing time look real silly.
You could do that for any player on the ice and find faults/mistakes. I trust TM that a very qualified NHL coach knows what he's doing.

Goal against #1: Makes a breakout pass to Matt Hendricks, which he takes on edge and bobbles. Schultz pinches and skates directly to where he passed the puck to and Marincin pokes it past him resulting in a Josh Leivo breakaway. Goal.

Goal against #2: Justin Schultz follows the puck carrier from the corner all the way beyond the hashmarks and is in no-man's land once the puck is passed to the defenseman. Shot goes to the net, scrum ensues. Goal.

He had a fine game other than that, but he makes it easy when it seems all the mistakes he make end up in our net.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Especially considering Clend has played a total of 32 NHL games, he's got some work to do.

Schultz has 243.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
I can't even stand looking at this doofus give his half *** efforts all over the ice. He has a face that makes me want to punch, please get rid of this clown ASAP.

Oil Baron

Jun 15, 2009
Canada
Jultzing wasn't as prominent last night maybe because of the AHL squad he played against.

PC get rid of this clown please he will be a allstar in the A or KHL but he isn't NHL caliber never has been

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I've found that yelling, "You can't just Schultz your way through life like that" at people is an effective way to increase productivity and cut down on workplace accidents.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What Schultz needs to do is go out and march in a parade or two. Maybe dish out some soup for the under-privileged. Few hospital visits.
Throw in some timely tweets about Mother Earth. Then he can play as bad as he wants and everybody will love him.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He didn't have a good game. He didn't have a bad game he had a very meh game. Didn't so anything good but wasn't a complete buffoon.

Although he was on the ice for both goals against even though he had limited ice time... Yeah.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What Schultz needs to do is go out and march in a parade or two. Maybe dish out some soup for the under-privileged. Few hospital visits.
Throw in some timely tweets about Mother Earth. Then he can play as bad as he wants and everybody will love him.

I was all like wtf? Then I got it and was all like :laugh:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I can't imagine why focusing so much of your own personal time for the community would make people like a player as a person.

On topic, Schutlz is pretty bad hey?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

why, just why?

Bangers

May 31, 2006

But there was always talk that he only chose the Oilers so he could step into the NHL right away and make money. And the most emotion or care we've seen out of him in his three years was when he scored a meaningless goal in the finale of the lockout season. The speculation on here was he hit some kind of bonus. Watch:

[nhl]431229[/nhl]

Paid almost $8M the past two seasons for playing horrendous hockey, and now he's set up where he won't make less than $3.9M next season unless whatever team he's on in June decides not to qualify him, at which point he'll get to choose any team in the league. No wonder he doesn't care.

It's a stupid move on his part, though. As it stands, the Oilers (or whichever team he is traded to) won't pick up his option at that price tag, and he's p***ing away millions on his next contract with his atrocious play.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

[nhl]431229[/nhl]

I think that goal illustrates the difference between a player with confidence who is having fun playing the game and the version you see now...a player that has no confidence and is not enjoying the game. A player who is afraid to make a mistake.

He may never get his confidence back at all but if he does it most certainly wont happen in an Oiler jersey.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
at which point he'll get to choose any team in the league. No wonder he doesn't care.

Maybe the first time around when he used the rules to his advantage and manufactured his UFA status out of thin air, but second time around?

The list of teams that will actually want him is MUCH reduced, and you can be sure he'll be taking a significant haircut over what he used to take home.

He should probably consider putting some away for a rainy day, because his NHL career might not be as long and successful as he originally envisioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad