Justin Papineau

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundinfan13

Dec 26, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
It seems as though Papineau will start the season on the Island.
Is he still eligible for the Calder? From what I've seen he's rather explosive, and already has a few goals in the preseason. Does anyone see him having an impact this year. I'm gonna say 15 goals, 25 assists.

Bruzin

Jan 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Didn't Papineau score 5 goals in one game last preseason? If that didn't get him on the the blues, I'm not sure if a couple goals this year means that much. I doubt he makes the Islanders this year. He will get a lot of call-ups though

Jackman5

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
He did score 5 in one game for the Blues, although at least two where shots that went in off him, I think one was of the ass or hip variety and the other was the stick, but Papineau himself said it was just a lucky break..

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
The Kings gave up on him because of his attitude and the Blues traded him away (I think, or did they release him). And we've all seen explosive preseasons from Papineau before. He might have this huge breakout season, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Hickory

DeathFromAbove said:
The Kings gave up on him because of his attitude and the Blues traded him away (I think, or did they release him). And we've all seen explosive preseasons from Papineau before. He might have this huge breakout season, but I'll believe it when I see it.
exactly what I was thinking.
Good post DFA

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings didn't sign Paps because he had an awful OHL season as a 19 year old, and wanted bigtime money. This after a record setting playoffs as an 18 year old, leading Belleville to the Memorial Cup.

I think Paps will be one of those guys who can provide a little offense, but not quite good enough to be a top 2 line player.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Herby said:
I think Paps will be one of those guys who can provide a little offense, but not quite good enough to be a top 2 line player.

I'm not sure I'd limit his potential to a third line player just yet. In fact his defense is a weak spot and I'm not sure he will ever fit into a third line role. He is an explosive offensive player and he may just be a late bloomer.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Herby said:
The Kings didn't sign Paps because he had an awful OHL season as a 19 year old, and wanted bigtime money. This after a record setting playoffs as an 18 year old, leading Belleville to the Memorial Cup.

I still remember the interview with Dave Taylor the season before they released Papineau. He was talking about Papineau's tremendous offensive ability, but his lack of willingness to play defense and his lack of willingness to work to improve his game while at the same time asking for max-out money. Sound familiar?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
True, but many players do develop. As in, from age 20 to 23, which is where Papineau is at this point. While a good week in camp doesn't make him ready for primetime, neither does the fact that a player in his early 20s has flaws in his game mean he cannot/will not evolve into a productive NHLer.

DeathFromAbove said:

Papineau was sent to the Isles in the great ass-covering Chris Osgood trade in which Larry Pleau tried to convince Blues fans that Osgood was just as good as Sean Burke. They'd be better in net with Brent Johnson this year IMO, but that's neither here nor there.
From what I understand, Papineau is a gifted offensive player who quite possibly only knows his own goaltender from a view at 50 feet down the ice. Not only is his defensive game lacking, but he's not exactly strong at 5-11 182. He's 23, so you can't write him off yet, but the clock is definitely ticking . . .

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
I'm not sure I'd limit his potential to a third line player just yet. In fact his defense is a weak spot and I'm not sure he will ever fit into a third line role. He is an explosive offensive player and he may just be a late bloomer.

You're right, he's on his way to a scoring line or bust, but he needs to get a lot stronger regardless.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Kubina_Fan said:
Papineau was sent to the Isles in the great ass-covering Chris Osgood trade in which Larry Pleau tried to convince Blues fans that Osgood was just as good as Sean Burke. They'd be better in net with Brent Johnson this year IMO, but that's neither here nor there.
From what I understand, Papineau is a gifted offensive player who quite possibly only knows his own goaltender from a view at 50 feet down the ice. Not only is his defensive game lacking, but he's not exactly strong at 5-11 182. He's 23, so you can't write him off yet, but the clock is definitely ticking . . .

right after MM aquired Papineau,he was quoted talking about Papineau and 'that courage thing'..

I'm not surprised that Papineau's playing well in the preseason.There's much less hitting and defenses aren't set with their best players.

I'm not high on Papineau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad