Confirmed with Link: Justin Braun for a 23' 3rd

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So who is he replacing? Nemeth? How much better is he compared to Nemeth? Probably almost same player as Nemeth

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
my off-the-cuff Braun idea, some may hate

demote Schneider for a while, recall Jones and try Jones w Braun
I don't hate it. Braun becomes a 5/6D, Nemeth becomes a 7D, Hajek is an 8D (that should never see the ice unless catastrophe), and there's a rotation of Schneider, Lundkvist, and Jones for the other 5/6D. It's Jones' "turn" to get his 20ish games, so the timing works out at least.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Regardless of Schneiders development or Nemeths play if you plan on being a buyer for the playoffs you believe you can win a round or two at the very least.

That means you need to have depth in all areas and Braun is perfect because he’s a vet, can play both sides, has size, experience and can play top 4 minutes if needed.

And he only cost them a 3rd rounder and it’s in 23. Not some crazy package like Chariot who he may be as good or better in some regards.

You improve the team defense and add depth for the playoffs

Reactions: cheech70

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Speaking as a Sharks fan who's been a big fan of Braun since he sort of unexpectedly burst onto the scene more than a decade ago and never really let go of his role with the club, I'm very excited at this trade for the Rangers since they've always been my second team (and I live in upstate NY now).

It's certainly a bit of a peculiar trade for the Rangers, as we've all seen what Schneider has done on the right side of that third pairing--and I'm not convinced Braun would be at his best on the left; he's sort of made it his habit over the years of knowing how to use the right boards to clear the puck while facing extreme pressure and taking big hits--it might, in a way, be easier for a young d-man like Schneider to make that switch to the left, though there were a few rare instances where Braun would pop up on Brent Burns' left and I did like his efforts there, so who knows.

But I do think he can be a positive addition for the Rangers. He has a great, long stick (TWSS), and more than anything, he's always struck me as a very smart, cerebral player who's succeeded because he plays at a level above his natural athletic ability. I think he was quite underrated in his time with the Sharks; Vlasic got most of the attention for their shut-down pairing, but he hasn't been the same since Braun was traded to Philly, yet Braun has kept playing at a pretty high level. And I wouldn't fully sleep on his ability with the puck. He's not a puck-moving defenseman, exactly, but he can pick up points by getting the puck to the net and finding deflections, which could work quite well with a guy like Kreider.

And I don't know who he'd displace from the PK, but he's got a ton of experience in that role and again, with his stick and smarts, he's quite solid in that role. I doubt he'll be in NY for more than a couple months, but I'm very excited about this move on a personal level.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Great job getting this guy by Drury. Everything changed when Braun replaced Nemeth back in round 1. Really solid guy so far, good positioning and makes the right plays. Just a steady responsible player that fits well with Schneider. Lucky to have him vs. Nemeth

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Much needed pickup. Nemeth is a waste of space. Sucks we're burning cap space on him next year as well.
We need to dump his worthless ass, send him to Arizona and if he says no, send his ass to the Gulag (The AHL).

Great job getting this guy by Drury. Everything changed when Braun replaced Nemeth back in round 1. Really solid guy so far, good positioning and makes the right plays. Just a steady responsible player that fits well with Schneider. Lucky to have him vs. Nemeth
For sure. Has a good first pass as well!

Nemeth is AWFUL in every facet of the game. He shouldn't be in the NHL...

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We need to dump his worthless ass, send him to Arizona and if he says no, send his ass to the Gulag (The AHL).

For sure. Has a good first pass as well!

Nemeth is AWFUL in every facet of the game. He shouldn't be in the NHL...

People will remember Igor's poor play in games 3 and 4 of the Pens series but Nemeth was the biggest culprit of that. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse defenseman on the team. Maybe someone like Tinordi but he didn't play in a high octane playoff series.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Honestly I don't think Schneider looks nearly as confident as he did when he first got up.. he was making some really nice plays carrying the puck, passing.. really haven't seen that as much lately. So I definitely don't hate the idea of sending him back... though I'd rather just put Braun on his off-side with Schneider and send Nemeth to the moon
Bulls Eye:)

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As stubborn as Gallant is, people thought that Nemeth was a favorite of his that would never be out for an extended period of time and he's sat him after the disastrous games 3 and 4 against the Pens.

Reactions: maris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad