Recalled/Assigned: Justin Barron assigned to Laval, Mitchell Stephens waived (upd: cleared)

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
If no one claims Stephens, they could still play him tomorrow and send him down later.

If they are doing it because Pearson is back, then they will rotate the others or temporarily give the 4C role to another forward who did play C in junior or something.

Though my money is on them calling up a Condotta, Maillet or Lias Anderson right when Stephens's fate gets known. See what they have there like they did with Stephens.

I'm not worried I'm sure they have this 4C thing figured out.

Reactions: MXD

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
If no one claims Stephens, they could still play him tomorrow and send him down later.

If they are doing it because Pearson is back, then they will rotate the others or temporarily give the 4C role to another forward who did play C in junior or something.

Though my money is on them calling up a Condotta, Maillet or Lias Anderson right when Stephens's fate gets known. See what they have there like they did with Stephens.

I'm not worried I'm sure they have this 4C thing figured out.
I’m all for Condotta, but why send one C down to call up another? Especially when he’s been doing his job? Could they not have sent Ylonen down? All these moves are probably going to royally screw Laval while making absolutely zero difference to the Habs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m all for Condotta, but why send one C down to call up another? Especially when he’s been doing his job? Could they not have sent Ylonen down? All these moves are probably going to royally screw Laval while making absolutely zero difference to the Habs.

Ylonen requires waivers so no they couldn't have. They still clearly like his potential even if his opportunity has been limited thus far.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Ylonen requires waivers so no they couldn't have. They still clearly like his potential even if his opportunity has been limited thus far.
Then Roy should’ve gone down. I really don’t get this move. They have 3 centres as of now.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder who the 4th center is going to be and I wonder if this means the end of Barron.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Mete is a minor leaguer.....Harris already has a bigger impact in every zone and imo will have a long NHL career.
But he's also a super replaceable player at this point in his career. Like he's an NHL-competent player offensively, defensively and for transition. But if you cannot handle physicality, and Harris is REALLY bad in that regards, you'll always be the odd-man out, unless you can bring something at a level better than "competent".

I wonder who the 4th center is going to be and I wonder if this means the end of Barron.
Xhekaj is pulling a Bieksa.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Like it or not HuGo seems to see a future for Barron in Mtl so until Hutson and Reinbacher are in the lineup he’ll be in the mix. IMHO, Struble & Harris are being showcased…..I like Struble and I can see one or both being packaged as part of a larger trade.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Like it or not HuGo seems to see a future for Barron in Mtl so until Hutson and Reinbacher are in the lineup he’ll be in the mix. IMHO, Struble & Harris are being showcased…..I like Struble and I can see one or both being packaged as part of a larger trade.
Even though I like him as a player and he seems like a smart/kind person, I hope if either of the 2 gets traded it's Harris.

Also, seems Pearson is healthy so we're not trading Savard for Crosby after all.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
But he's also a super replaceable player at this point in his career. Like he's an NHL-competent player offensively, defensively and for transition. But if you cannot handle physicality, and Harris is REALLY bad in that regards, you'll always be the odd-man out, unless you can bring something at a level better than "competent".

Xhekaj is pulling a Bieksa.

I would consider calling Harris "REALLY bad" at handling physicality a very hyperbolic statement as he is stronger than his size would suggest and his skating allows him to spin off of it and/or avoid the worst of it. He is still a young, developing dman and should not be evaluated as a finished product. He is much stronger than Mete ever was and makes much better decisions. He is playing on a defensively challenged team that is still learning how to play as 5 man units and the outlets/options are not always available to the dmen when and where they should be available.

Teammates have repeatedly stated that he is a specimen and will get stronger as he moves into and through his mid twenties. He is too smart, too dedicated and disciplined to nutrition and strength building. Harris is still adjusting to bigger, stronger opponents and imo will be fine when everything comes together. He may always be a bottom pairing dman but he does have the potential to be a second pairing defender given the proper development and circumstances. I think a bigger/stronger Spurgeon is his upside and he is currently sitting at his downside which is a bottom pairing NHL dman.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would consider calling Harris "REALLY bad" at handling physicality a very hyperbolic statement as he is stronger than his size would suggest and his skating allows him to spin off of it and/or avoid the worst of it. He is still a young, developing dman and should not be evaluated as a finished product. He is much stronger than Mete ever was and makes much better decisions. He is playing on a defensively challenged team that is still learning how to play as 5 man units and the outlets/options are not always available to the dmen when and where they should be available.

Teammates have repeatedly stated that he is a specimen and will get stronger as he moves into and through his mid twenties. He is too smart, too dedicated and disciplined to nutrition and strength building. Harris is still adjusting to bigger, stronger opponents and imo will be fine when everything comes together. He may always be a bottom pairing dman but he does have the potential to be a second pairing defender given the proper development and circumstances. I think a bigger/stronger Spurgeon is his upside and he is currently sitting at his downside which is a bottom pairing NHL dman.

Speaking of hyperbole...

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

I agree Harris looks like a good young NHL Dman. Hopefully he continues to progress well.

I do think the Habs will eventually have to trade some young dmen. Who knows which one? Barron and/or Harris are both certainly possible. Might happen this year or this off-season. Probably a good problem to have...

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2