Post-Game Talk: Justice Served! Isles make it interesting but the right team wins. WPG 5 - NYI 4 OT

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I thought Montoya was at best below average. The Tavares goal he had little chance on, Ullstrom's goal was meh, but it was a pretty nice snipe. Moulson and Streit's goals are shots he absolutely has to save. I can only imagine what kind of reaction Pavelec would be getting if he let those in. :shakehead Really not encouraged by what I saw from Aldo that game, he doesn't really inspire confidence with that languid, blocking style he plays.

Can you imagine not playing a high level game for 8 months, then playing against your old team -- and the very first appearance in front of your rabid, insane fans?

Al Montoya gets a pass from me. Snipes, screens and deflections. It's not like he let in that Burmi goal :sarcasm:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Since the move to the wing, Little has been pouring shots on net. I wonder if he can keep it up. He gas never been a volume shooter, sothis is a pleasant development.

Yeah, he definitely seems more comfortable playing there. I really did like Little at C being the first guy back in the zone, just because he's so damn good at anticipating passing lanes. Then again, Antro is no slouch at that either.

Can you imagine not playing a high level game for 8 months, then playing against your old team -- and the very first appearance in front of your rabid, insane fans?

Al Montoya gets a pass from me. Snipes, screens and deflections. It's not like he let in that Burmi goal :sarcasm:

Oh sure, I can understand him being a bit rusty and nervous. Still, he didn't look any better than Pavelec did on opening night, yet it sure seemed like Ondrej was getting more flak around here. Guess that's what winning does. :)

I stand by what I said though about him not inspiring confidence. I've watched Montoya a fair bit over his career, and he really falls into that JS Giguere blocking style that I absolutely detest. It's fine when he's seeing the puck, but when he's losing track of it like he was tonight, it can be an adventure.

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Meech is an AHL player. Want him nowhere close to the Jets, he is probably #9 right now, which is frankly too high, IMO. Postma is better offensively, only slightly worse defensively, Redmond is better defensively, even or only slight worse offensively. Both of those guys are better.
Meech is playing in the AHL all-star game... as a replacement for Redmond. OK, so play Redmond instead of Clitsome. I can see why he wasn't wanted in Columbus.

Clitsome had a decent enough game tonight, considering he is the #7 anyways.
If he's considered a decent defenseman (even at #7) then the Jets should book their tee times in April already.

Hainsey had a decent game tonight. Quiet, nothing bad. He's a fine #4, and proving he can do decent enough short term as a #3.
To quote Lynk...
13 goals against as a team. Playing the 3rd most minutes a night and only on for 1 goal. :nod:
And those aren't "Randy Jones sheltered minutes", either

Not sure why you would single out my post (also, +/- is one of the most deceiving stats in all of hockey, btw).
I disagreed strongly with your statement about Hainsey. He may be quiet and un-noticed, but he does his job, and he does it well. I'd say he's easily earning his $4.5 million cap hit, let alone the $3 million actual salary for 2012-2013 (will obviously be pro-rated at 48/82). We do need to re-sign him. He's got at least a couple of good years left.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Feel sorry for Postma having to break into the NHL with Clitsome as his defense partner. Postma has had two of the worst giveaways of the year so far, but otherwise has shown some promise.

I think Noel is hesitant to start a game with two rookie defenseman, but Clitsome is forcing his hand.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Redmond sent down and Meech recalled tomorrow. Or Subban acquired.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Good win, but I have to say, my main man Toby was BAD tonight. I mean, not Clitsome bad, but still BAD.

Still, I said earlier that if Toby had a bad game while Bogosian was out, we were pretty much screwed, but we managed to get a W anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't keep up with the physicality that we started the game with. We were dominating them most of the first period with that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Since the move to the wing, Little has been pouring shots on net. I wonder if he can keep it up. He gas never been a volume shooter, sothis is a pleasant development.

Even in his 31G RW year he didn't shoot any more than any previous season.
I said in August/September, when we were guessing pts for the season, Little is too good of a shooter to be shooting as often as Antro and Welly. I said if he shoots similar to Wheeler's rates he may hit 30 again... Luckily he's listening ;)

The Jets are 3-1-1 right now. After 5 games last season their record was 1-3-1, IIRC. The improved start to the season is huge this year given the short season. That was a game the team would have blown last season; they nearly did tonight as well but there is no arguing with their resolve or the comeback. At the end of the day, all that matters in the two points and the W.

Please waive Clitsome ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Clitsome is troublesome but he's fine as a #7... just can't be a #5 supporting a rookie.
We need Bogo or pick up a guy in the 4-6 range.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
To quote Lynk...And those aren't "Randy Jones sheltered minutes", either

I disagreed strongly with your statement about Hainsey. He may be quiet and un-noticed, but he does his job, and he does it well. I'd say he's easily earning his $4.5 million cap hit, let alone the $3 million actual salary for 2012-2013 (will obviously be pro-rated at 48/82). We do need to re-sign him. He's got at least a couple of good years left.

Disagreed with what? That's exactly what I said. He is unspectacular and does the job quietly. I have always been a huge Hainsey supporter on these boards, he is a quiet solidly effective #4, and is doing a decent enough job as a #3 right now...there is no disagreement here...:help:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Feel sorry for Postma having to break into the NHL with Clitsome as his defense partner. Postma has had two of the worst giveaways of the year so far, but otherwise has shown some promise.

I think Noel is hesitant to start a game with two rookie defenseman, but Clitsome is forcing his hand.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Redmond sent down and Meech recalled tomorrow. Or Subban acquired.

Yeah, Postma leaves some stuff to be desired in the defensive zone, but Clitsome is absolutely putrid. His positioning and gap control is usually out of whack and he chooses to stand guys up at the blueline at the least opportune moment while letting the puck get by.

I can't wait until Postma can play with Stuart. Stu is no world beater, but he's reliable in his play style and you know exactly what he's going to do and where he's going to be. Clitsome is making more WTF? plays in the defensive end than bad Bustin last year. Not the kind of guy you want to have paired with a rookie.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Even in his 31G RW year he didn't shoot any more than any previous season.
I said in August/September, when we were guessing pts for the season, Little is too good of a shooter to be shooting as often as Antro and Welly. I said if he shoots similar to Wheeler's rates he may hit 30 again... Luckily he's listening ;)

Clitsome is troublesome but he's fine as a #7... just can't be a #5 supporting a rookie.
We need Bogo or pick up a guy in the 4-6 range.

It's probably a more stable arrangement than having two rookies on your bottom pairing.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I wasn't impressed by Montoya though. It felt like he was a bit off. I'm sure he had a good reason though. Maybe a personal tragedy? Lost a close relative perhaps?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I wasn't impressed by Montoya though. It felt like he was a bit off. I'm sure he had a good reason though. Maybe a personal tragedy? Lost a close relative perhaps?

Hasn't played a game since last April and was never a world beater, anyways. Given our choices for what was out there for backup goaltender, there wasn't much better.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Had greater expectations for Montoya, thought he'd be Justin Credible.

:laugh: Nicely done.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Well, his father....but that was when he was a boy. Surely, he isn't still hung up on the six-fingered man.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada

Hasn't played a game since last April and was never a world beater, anyways. Given our choices for what was out there for backup goaltender, there wasn't much better.

I believe he was referencing this from the GDT:

I hope Montoya plays like he wants revenge on those ******** for killing his father.

I mean, not re-signing him.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
That was the result the Jets deserved, they took it to the Isles for most of the game. Would last year's Jets team have regrouped down 4-2 in that circumstance? Dunno, I realize it's still early, but there's something different about how this team is playing, they're dictating games rather than simply reacting to what teams are throwing at them.

I thought Montoya was at best below average. The Tavares goal he had little chance on, Ullstrom's goal was meh, but it was a pretty nice snipe. Moulson and Streit's goals are shots he absolutely has to save. I can only imagine what kind of reaction Pavelec would be getting if he let those in. :shakehead Really not encouraged by what I saw from Aldo that game, he doesn't really inspire confidence with that languid, blocking style he plays.

4th line stood out to me as pretty impressive, especially Wright. His game is so simple yet so effective, he's consistently getting the puck in deep and putting stress on defenders with his straight line speed.

Other than that, your post pretty much echoes my thoughts. Antro has been f'in outstanding so far this year, IMO he's been the glue on that line with Ladd and Little.
Just settling in after seeing my first game live, with a bird's eye view of Montoya and our D for 2 periods.
I have to agree with the above assessment of Montoya. He looked nervous to me, let in a couple of softies and was out of position at times. Hope it was first-game nerves, because the difference between the Jets last year and this has, in large part, been in their GAA. Sure, the D made some boneheaded giveaways, but winning teams have goaltenders that make that great save or two, every game. Aldodidn't.
Also agree that this is the worst game I have seen Enstrom play, but that he is entitled to f-up once in a while. Nice that we can win anyway and I have no doubt Toby has the skill and maturity to put it behind him.
Clit simply does not have the upside to justify the inconsistency and mistakes he makes and we could do better than him. I think Meech is better and Redmond couldn't be worse, tho I may be in the minority. Postma gave the puck away a time or two, but he is worth keeping because of his upside.
Buff, Antro, Jokinen and Burmi's whole line--great to watch.
All in all, I am pleasantly surprised at the Jets' transformation. It's like seeing a high school kid after a year's absence ,who suddenly has grown 6 inches and has a baritone voice. Same kid, but all grown up.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I am hoping that Chevy is paying attention to the waiver wire. He might be able to squeeze a bottom pairing D out of it. Can't be worse than Clitsome has been.

Agreed, Clitsome at 27 is a lost cause, okay 7th D that's it. Postma, once he learns to play defense will be a good one, he has natural O skills.

Don't know why management has Clitsome playing over Meech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad