Post-Game Talk: Justice Served! Isles make it interesting but the right team wins. WPG 5 - NYI 4 OT

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Nice to hear Montoya's enjoyment of the atmosphere. I like to think it really is fun for the guys to play here.

Kane is looking so good so far! If he keeps it up he's going to have a monster season. Buff is my favorite Jet. I just find the guy endlessly entertaining in a whole bunch of ways. He's a real character...and he can single-handedly impact a game in a remarkable way.

Hoping for a good road trip now to keep the momentum going...at least 3 more points PLEEEEAASE!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This

He also looked shakey coming into the first period but take into consideration it was his first NHL game this season. Nice to get a W and get the cobwebs out.

Overall what a game! Too bad Toby had those two bad hiccups but he will turn it up next game and ill be yelling loud in Smittys Tuesday :laugh: Gotta beat those Canadians or I have to pay for my buddies wings!

Ooooh, I can actually go to a sports bar to watch it. I have the night off of work. o_o

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
Awesome game last night, I really like this 'Peg team.

The difference between the home crowd in Winnipeg and the one in Buffalo is unbelievable, I'm ashamed.

That's nice of you to say, but the reality is it took losing a team, and not having one for 15 years to get here. I only hope it stays this way.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How's Jokinen doing for you guys so far?

Production isn't as expected but he's done a lot for that line. Really opens up space for Kane and Wheeler that wasn't there before. Happy overall with him.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
Was at the game last night...good time. It should've been 8-1 after 40 min. I've never seen so many missed opportunities. Oh well, Nabokov had a real good 40 min. Everyone was one the edge of their seats whenever the Isles took a shot, Montoya was pretty shakey, but he got the win and thats what matters. Clitsome/Postma is a trainwreck most of the time. I would'nt mind seeing Redmond or Meech. I'm glad I picked those 2 games in my draft, Jets are now 13-2 in games I have attended.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm happy, too. He does a lot of work for Kane and Wheeler and that makes both guys flying and scoring. His own production, as said, isn't there yet. But I have no doubt that it will come very soon.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Was at the game last night...good time. It should've been 8-1 after 40 min. I've never seen so many missed opportunities. Oh well, Nabokov had a real good 40 min. Everyone was one the edge of their seats whenever the Isles took a shot, Montoya was pretty shakey, but he got the win and thats what matters. Clitsome/Postma is a trainwreck most of the time. I would'nt mind seeing Redmond or Meech. I'm glad I picked those 2 games in my draft, Jets are now 13-2 in games I have attended.

Get this man some more tickets!!!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jokinen isn't just letting Kane and Wheeler create more chances, he's also doing a great job of covering for Buff when he takes the puck down low. Which if you haven't seen is every 2nd shift lol.

It's weird, I expected Jokinen's addition to help production overall. But he is the guy doing the thankless stuff that's freeing up two wingers and a defenseman to be more dynamic. And it's working.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
Yep. Olli is playing the wisened vet, defensive conscience of Line #1. Wheels and Vander get to do their thing.

I loved the csamera zooming on on Buff late in the 3rd. Just barely kept the play from turning into a 2 on 1 for the Isles. I thought he was mouthing "Wow" about how close it was to being a potentially game-losing scoring opportunity. But he was singing "Wild Wild Wild" to the *** on Feel the Noize tune playing on the speakers. hahahaha :yo:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hah, just read in the Islanders GDT, loved them *****ing about the Burmination of Tavares before the first goal. A guy actually said he was ok with Hamonic losing his cover because he was busy trying to get back at the Burminator.:laugh:

Also, YWGinYYZ, props for posting the Burminator pictures after his goal!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Agreed about Montoya. The guy is not a great goaltender but that's what you get when you sign a backup for league minimum. He played as well as people should have expected. We got him into a game to spell Pavs and we snuck out of it with two points. That's a great result.

I'm sure the coaching staff knows that they're going to have to cherry pick his starts against teams we can score a few goals on if needed. If they shelter him and don't put him in over his head he can be an effective backup.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Yeah, he definitely seems more comfortable playing there. I really did like Little at C being the first guy back in the zone, just because he's so damn good at anticipating passing lanes. Then again, Antro is no slouch at that either.

Oh sure, I can understand him being a bit rusty and nervous. Still, he didn't look any better than Pavelec did on opening night, yet it sure seemed like Ondrej was getting more flak around here. Guess that's what winning does. :)

I stand by what I said though about him not inspiring confidence. I've watched Montoya a fair bit over his career, and he really falls into that JS Giguere blocking style that I absolutely detest. It's fine when he's seeing the puck, but when he's losing track of it like he was tonight, it can be an adventure.

Montoya's habit of losing sight of the puck is his worst flaw. He is terrible at tracking it, especially when the puck is behind the net, he just gets lost. I can't count how many goals I've seen scored on him where he had no clue a shot was even coming, or was still looking over his shoulder when the puck was in the slot.

Thrashers94

We fly as one
Mar 22, 2010
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
I know we are only 5 games into the season but it just looks and feels like this Jets franchise has taken the next big step imo.

No way the Jets last year or any of the Atlanta teams would have came back and won a game like that last night.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I know we are only 5 games into the season but it just looks and feels like this Jets franchise has taken the next big step imo.

No way the Jets last year or any of the Atlanta teams would have came back and won a game like that last night.

I think I know what you mean. I had the same feeling yesterday. To be honest, based on my experience I have for the least couple of years with the team, when we went down 2-4, I turned off my TV to go and watch the rest of the game in my bed with a "that's it anyways, might also start going to bed" attitude. I was on the toilet when they scored the 3-4 goal. I was really impressed with them making the switch so quickly and turning it around in 2 minutes only.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

That's it, the Jets are 12-1 when Im there :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad