Just how good is Matt Murray in the playoffs?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
23 years old

-2 Stanley Cups #1 All Time in win percentage, 2 for 2
-25-10 playoff record #1 All Time win percentage
-1.88 Goals Against #2 All Time for players born after the year 1910
-93% save percentage #3 All Time
-6 Shutouts #24 All time
-Undefeated in playoff series- #1 All Time

-For all the praise of the big 3 or 4 of the Penguins, this guy doesnt get the hype he's earned. For all the hype of Patrick Roy, this guy is beating him in all statistics in the playoffs. Playoff Brick Wall

Reactions: Kreator

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Way too early in his career to tell.

Yes, he has accomplished a lot, and he has great composure in the playoffs, but he also has an incredible team around him.

The percentages will probably decline the more he plays in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he's going to lose a series eventually. I don't think this is the best thread to make this early in his 2018 playoff push.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Has more playoff shutouts than regular season. About 70 less games?

Hes definitely been clutch so far.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Patrick Roy? I think he’s moreso the modern day Grant Fuhr.

Gets a lot of offensive support

Doesn’t always dazzle, but doesn’t have to be a superhero because of the team he plays in front of scores enough to give him breathing room, and if he doesn’t get breathing room, he makes the big saves when he has to.

He is the type of goalie that, if his team scores 4 goals, he can give up two goals, maybe three, but never the fourth.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Wouldn't be having this conversation about what a winner he is if Pittsburgh doesn't get Malkin drafting #2 overall in 2004 then hilariously get the #1 pick despite not playing the season and immediately get Crosby in 2005.

Poor Philidelphia drafts #2 overall and gets James van Riemsdyk instead.

A slightly different roll of the dice and Washington's top line features Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin and Pittsburgh is stuck with Sasha Pokulok. Life is funny sometimes.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Good vision through traffic and doesn’t give up huge rebounds. Generally in the right position so doesn’t make the flashy saves. Strong focused and backs it up after a loss

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Wouldn't be having this conversation about what a winner he is if Pittsburgh doesn't get Malkin drafting #2 overall in 2004 then hilariously get the #1 pick despite not playing the season and immediately get Crosby in 2005.

A slightly different roll of the dice and Washington's top line features Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin and Pittsburgh is stuck with Sasha Pokulok. Life is funny sometimes.
Ok?

Reactions: 99664987

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
People are going to come in here and say it's because the Pens are a good team. Yet are the same people that trash the Pens defense, most specifically Letang and Maatta

That is always how it goes, isn't it. Everyone's points totals are because of Crosby, but Crosby isn't really that great. He kinda sucks, if you are being honest.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's a strong starting goaltender. Somewhere inbetween elite and average. That's close as its going to get until we see him on a non-juggernaut.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People are going to come in here and say it's because the Pens are a good team. Yet are the same people that trash the Pens defense, most specifically Letang and Maatta

Pretty much.

Look at the love Fleury is getting. For over a decade, he was supposedly the worst #1 goalie in the league, with 3 cups. Then he goes to VGK and he's some how turned into this unheralded underdog goalie that the Pens cast to the side for Murray, lol.

Last year, we had no business winning with that terrible defense.
This year, our biggest weakness was our defense, but only when the argument suits it. Like in this case, we're now a phenomenal team from top to bottom and Murray benefits from that. Yet he stops huge scoring chances every game in the playoffs when the games really matter.

There IS NOT a better goalie than Murray in the playoffs the last 3yrs including this one. There just isn't. The guy just turns ice cold when the playoffs start and given what he went through this year, you'd excuse the guy for some bad games, but man this guy is just the consummate professional and he treats each day as a new day, nothing carries over negatively.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just despise the Penguins and want to whine about all their wins being the result of absurd luck.

(And they intentionally tanked to get Lemieux then got Jagr)

God I hate the Penguins. Really.
Oh the irony from someone with some form of "Alexei Yashin" name...

The race for Lemieux was a league wide tank fest. You want to be mad, be mad at half the league that wasn't playoff bound that was literally trying to lose as many games as possible to get Lemieux.

Jagr fell to us, a few teams had the opportunity to get Jagr, they failed.

What else ya got?

Many teams have tanked, some have even tanked so much the draft lottery was created, another tanked so much they had to modify the chances for teams to jump to 1st overall.

Yet, you chose to be mad at the Pens because they drafted well after the 2 superstars and figured out how to properly surround them with talent and coaching.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What are his numbers like this series if him and Elliott were on opposite teams?
Why the hell would that matter?

Why the hell would the Pens be at fault for the crappy choices the Flyers make? They have played 3 goalies against us.

All 3 have been fairly terrible.

Oh well. As a matter of fact, apparently we were screwed too given that Murray wasn't having a great season at all and people thought with that Pens defense and Murray with his terrible season. Lol.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
To be fair, the people I see saying how bad Pens defense is most, are Pens fans when trying to hype a given player on their team. I notice they like to downplay their team when hyping a player of their choosing. Defense and Wingers seem to get that treatment a bit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To be fair, the people I see saying how bad Pens defense is most, are Pens fans when trying to hype a given player on their team. I notice they like to downplay their team when hyping a player of their choosing. Defense and Wingers seem to get that treatment a bit.

Lotta people believe a lot of different things. I think a lot of my fellow Pens fans are very down on the defence because they get the blame for an ugly team effort in the RS. Haven't seen so much about the wings, but it would make an interesting contrast to some of what was being said about the Pens wings before the season.

Personally, talking about the Pens as a juggernaut (not saying you have, but some have) when it comes to their defence doesn't make sense. I believe the dmen are better than sometimes given credit for - and yes, a lot of that does come from (imo) misguided Pens fans - and that the team is capable of crushing defensive efforts, but for the most part the team plays a very open risk-taking style and that tells in the chances against. The only sense in which Murray gets any relief from the attack is that they will sometimes utterly crush an opponent's spirit, but only after there's been some really good opportunities against first. And by and large, Murray has been fantastic for us at those times.

I'd like to wait for the play-offs to be over before we get too excited - or at least for him to play someone better than an utterly demoralised Flyers this year - but Murray's been so good for us.

And yes, the numbers would look different if Murray and Elliot switched teams. There's been a lot of big chances that have swung momentum when they've got in or not. Murray's stopped his, Elliot pretty much hasn't.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Not bad for a 3rd round pick.

Yes it is. It sounds like you could use nice walk in Butchart Gardens or something, I'm just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad