Speculation: Just hear me out, Quick Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitPenguin

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh
I am a Penguins fan at heart, however i love the canes too. 2nd favorite team and Jordan Staal is my favorite player. With that in mind...
i proposed this the other day on a different thread stating it would be better for the league if the canes got mcdavid or eichel instead of EDM or BUF.

the more i think about it i think its a fantastic idea. the question is how do they accomplish it and get better at the same time.
FIRE SALE!, build around Elias Lindholm & Justin Faulk. + remember you are getting one of the two picks in this years draft.

with the great assets they have right now. it would merely take a year or two to make all the players you receive develop because lets be honest they are not good enough for the metro...
Both Staal's, Semin, Skinner, Tlusty, Gerber, Dwyer, on Offense.
Liles, Hainsey, Sekera & Ward on the back end.

you would think on paper that would be competitive right there. but honestly its not working... and there are some amazing young players you could get for that lot right there. thought?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sure what your proposition is.

Regardless, the biggest problem is that no one wants these overpaid or underperforming players. Liles, Ward, Semin, etc. It's hard to have a firesale if it's impossible to get rid of the players you're trying to move.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I am a Penguins fan at heart, however i love the canes too. 2nd favorite team and Jordan Staal is my favorite player. With that in mind...
i proposed this the other day on a different thread stating it would be better for the league if the canes got mcdavid or eichel instead of EDM or BUF.

the more i think about it i think its a fantastic idea. the question is how do they accomplish it and get better at the same time.
FIRE SALE!, build around Elias Lindholm & Justin Faulk. + remember you are getting one of the two picks in this years draft.

with the great assets they have right now. it would merely take a year or two to make all the players you receive develop because lets be honest they are not good enough for the metro...
Both Staal's, Semin, Skinner, Tlusty, Gerber, Dwyer, on Offense.
Liles, Hainsey, Sekera & Ward on the back end.

you would think on paper that would be competitive right there. but honestly its not working... and there are some amazing young players you could get for that lot right there. thought?

Look, Jim, we've been over this and over this. You can't GM two teams at the same time. You're the GM of the Penguins now. Focus on that team.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Problem #1: We have very few "promising young players" compared to other teams.
Problem #2: We have even fewer "promising young players" coming.

Lets face it, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs for another 6 years. THAT'S how bad it is. And I'm not talking about this team here that has been better, but is still bad. I'm talking about the fact we have almost no help coming to help this already bad team. we stink and our farm system is even worse. We have not hit rock bottom yet, but it's coming.

JDR

Feb 2, 2015
need to go nuclear and become the NHL's version of the 76ers for a while

Bps21*

need to go nuclear and become the NHL's version of the 76ers for a while

You could have just said become Buffalo for a while. They're polishing off the worst season of the modern era. Beating out the year they had last year.

PitPenguin

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh
Problem #1: We have very few "promising young players" compared to other teams.
Problem #2: We have even fewer "promising young players" coming.

Lets face it, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs for another 6 years. THAT'S how bad it is. And I'm not talking about this team here that has been better, but is still bad. I'm talking about the fact we have almost no help coming to help this already bad team. we stink and our farm system is even worse. We have not hit rock bottom yet, but it's coming.

if that is the case. why not do what i said? i mean avoid rock bottom. do something about it now? i get it sucks, but it can't get worse. i get you will not get market value for some of your players but others might get you gems you dont expect plus Eric staal's return would be plentiful get young promising 20 goal scorers (possibly i 30 or 40 as well) plus tanking this year would get you a solid draft pick that normal tanking would not let you receive in the nhl. lets be clear if mcdavid or eichel land in carolina with a young core around them. congrats you are the islanders today. pretty good if you ask me, plus islanders are budget team as well so don't tell me it won't work. it might not but at least im trying. if things stay the same that would be the saddest reality. :(

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Thanks for the new perspective.

It's not a new perspective, of course. It's the same perspective that the locals have been arguing about for five goddamned years now.

But I guess it's new to you. So, uh, thanks, I guess.

PitPenguin

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the new perspective.

It's not a new perspective, of course. It's the same perspective that the locals have been arguing about for five goddamned years now.

But I guess it's new to you. So, uh, thanks, I guess.

well if its been argued around town for "five goddamned years now" why is there not more of an uproar?
Been to a couple games, obviously been to the city, and follow all the crap online. I hardly see crap speaking of this.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Because it doesn't work outside of the fan perspective. Staal is worth more to this team than what he'd bring in return, which isn't that much given his contract. This goes for a few guys on the team. Then you have whole other sect of players that no one wants, and they make up most of the team. The last group of the Faulks and Lindholms are part of the solution. This team is pretty stuck as is, probably through the end of next year when a bunch of big contracts expire.

My prediction is that everyone stays healthy next year and they make the playoffs and have a good showing, then most of the fanbase clamors for everyone to be re-signed, ignoring the last 6 years. It's all "what have you done for me lately".

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Oh look, yet another fan from another fanbase trying to argue they know better than the fans that actually follow the team. This will certainly be a good idea and not something that would only work in video games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Blowing it all up doesn't really help us much. It seemed a few years ago it might but right now we wouldnt get the returns we'd hope for. It wouldn't be enough to rebuild. We'd be set back 3 or 4 years. Even with McDavid.

Meaning sadly a jr "reshuffle" might be the best thing for us. Buy time for our youngsters to keep growing.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes just need to make the same moves the Islander's made last offseason.

Bring in two top-4 D (ie: Boychuk and Leddy) and spend a little money to add legit 2nd/3rd line F depth in Free Agency. This is doubly true if they lose Sekera and Tlusty.

As others have said the main issue is replacement depth. The Canes have just about zero of it. If one Staal, goalie, or Faulk goes down then the whole team goes to ruin. They don't need high-end talent, they just need NHL talent to fill the gap instead of AHL/ECHL level talent.

I doubt they actually do it because PK is not going to spend the cash, but that is what they need.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Blowing it all up doesn't really help us much. It seemed a few years ago it might but right now we wouldnt get the returns we'd hope for. It wouldn't be enough to rebuild. We'd be set back 3 or 4 years. Even with McDavid.

Meaning sadly a jr "reshuffle" might be the best thing for us. Buy time for our youngsters to keep growing.

QFT - as the next poster says, we really need 3 or 4 solid but difficult moves. We need likely 2 defensemen (with Sekera gone), NHL defensemen hopefully a #2 but at the least a 3 or 4. We need a true 2nd line scoring threat...and most of all we need our Skinner and our Semin to at least return to serviceable levels. We get that and we'll be just fine, we'll compete for a playoff spot, and we might even make some noise.

All of this assumes that we retain or acquire a successful goalkeeping tandem and that our 3rd pairing is consistent with this year's pairing.

How to do all of that is the question. My preference is to rid ourselves of any deadwood that isn't in the future plans of the organization, acquire a couple of NHL ready prospects and as many picks as possible. The picks then become currency either at the deadline or, more likely, at the draft. We then kill 2 birds with one stone - adding competitive players and building up our pipeline.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
^ yep, they need what they began the season needing. Francis decided that they were going with the young guys and that experiment should be over now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad