Proposal: Just for fun...what would you offer for Karlsson?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets in 2019/20 and beyond, with Karlsson, and cap space to spare... (Trouba and Myers traded this season, Kulikov after this season, no Wheeler in 2019/20, Connor bridged at $3M). LD is a bit weak, but Jets would probably have a bit more cap room to bring in a better LD if the cap goes up again next year.

View attachment 128459

Getting a little scary on that back end, but man I'd love to watch Karlsson tee up Laine on the PP.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Trouba, Copp, Petan, and Berdin. 1st conditonal. Ottawa could trade Trouba then.

i'll tell you, with Karlsson on the point and Buff around the net, Jets would easily have the best PP in the league. Like Scotty Bowman's Detroit good. But it's the salary cap era, can't be selfish, you build from d&d. 4 assets for 1 is a desperation move usually. Or all in to win, I suppose.

You are giving away too much. Trouba is a #1 defenseman. Even though he is not as good as Karlsson, Trouba with a 1st would even things out. Petan is a washout, but why trade Berdin (our best goaltending prospect), when we are short in depth of quality goalies?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I wouldn't offer a thing.
That contract would blow up the Jets salary plans.
Kiss many players good bye at that point.
The cost to acquire and the cost of who we wouldn't be able to resign would mean the Jets competitive window would be very tiny.

I wouldn't even consider it without an extension in place.
1 year of Karlson to destroy your budget and future would be insane. Let someone else light themselves on fire.

Hard pass.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
The cost to acquire and the cost of who we wouldn't be able to resign would mean the Jets competitive window would be very tiny.

1 year of Karlson to destroy your budget and future would be insane. Let someone else light themselves on fire.

Hard pass.

Completely agree. We would have been much better off chasing Tavares if that were the case.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You are giving away too much. Trouba is a #1 defenseman. Even though he is not as good as Karlsson, Trouba with a 1st would even things out. Petan is a washout, but why trade Berdin (our best goaltending prospect), when we are short in depth of quality goalies?

I am sorry but there are too many stats out there giving Trouba unreal amount of hype. I don't see him as a #1. Karlsson is an elite playmaker, in putting the puck on players sticks, for scoring. Trouba is a shut down guy, not unlike Trevor Daley, but better. He played with some good players you know, like Scheifele and Wheeler, a lot. His d partner is arguably a top 3 shutdown defenseman already. Rest are prospects. That's my take. Others would say differently. We agree to disagree. Take Berdin out, add someone else.

You have to figure Dallas would be Heiskanen, +. We gave up a lot for Stastny. Karlsson is a Norris trophy winner.​

Reactions: thegr8one66

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
People are forgetting Karlsson is the best Defencemen in the world... If a team/ opposing fan offered the same for Byfuglien that most of the posts on here are offering for Karlsson we’d laugh it off.

As for a fair qaulity offer...

Trouba
Vesalainen
Stanley
2 first rounders

People will say Trouba is to close in value but he’s yet to even score half the amount of points in a season in comparison to the same year scoring that Karlsson has got.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Trouba, Vesalainen, Perreault/Little (for cap reasons, plus they're good players), 1st, 2nd, Petan/Dano/someone else that Ottawa wants
Essentially it would be amazing to get Karlsson

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Don't forget, reports are that Ottawa wants Bobby Ryan and his contract shipped out with Karlsson

The reports now are that they've given up on that.

Were pushing hard leading up to draft and July 1. But rumor is that offers tanked July 1 when teams started signing Free Agents. So are no longer insisting on Ryan as a piece.

I'm sure they'd still be happy to get rid of Ryan, but now they'd have to take 30 cents on the dollar for Karlsson. Before July 1 they probably could have got 60 cents on the dollar.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
People are forgetting Karlsson is the best Defencemen in the world... If a team/ opposing fan offered the same for Byfuglien that most of the posts on here are offering for Karlsson we’d laugh it off.

As for a fair qaulity offer...

Trouba
Vesalainen
Stanley
2 first rounders

People will say Trouba is to close in value but he’s yet to even score half the amount of points in a season in comparison to the same year scoring that Karlsson has got.
i just had a heart attack.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Connor, Petan, a 1st and a 3rd

Trouba, Petan and a 3rd

Buff, Lemieux and a 2nd

Laine and absolutely nothing.

Those would be my introductory offers and which one I floated first would be based on my pro scouts' assessment of Ottawa's wants.

I wouldn't offer a damned thing at all unless I had an understanding with Karlsson on a 7 year extension.

Some people have questioned what EK (the good one) could bring to our team and whether him gumming up our cap situation would be worth it. This guy single-handedly brought a garbage hockey team to within a goal of the Stanley Cup Finals 13 months ago.

No matter what we give up, our D, our offense and our goaltending are light years ahead of the team he almost went the distance with.

As long as Scheifele, Wheeler, Morrissey and Hellebuyck are still on the roster, this is by far the most talented group the 3rd best hockey player on the planet has ever played with.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Hard pass.

Not sure 1 year of karlson is exactly budget destroying. With Mason gone, I don't think a $6,5mm cap hit is that insurmountable.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure 1 year of karlson is exactly budget destroying. With Mason gone, I don't think a $6,5mm cap hit is that insurmountable.

As much as I like Karlsson and would like to see him in a Jets uniform, he does become a UFA at the end of the 2018-19 season. What are the chances that he'd want to re-sign with Winnipeg? I'm not sure I'd want to lose some good players for one season of Karlsson.

:jets

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

No but the assets spent to acquire him for only one year would be. The only way to justify spending the assets would be to resign the player. Therefore his next contract would have to be part of the long term plan to make the trade in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad