Just drafted but the team feels off, what is my weak link?

adaboost

Aug 15, 2012
Just drafted in my Yahoo league with G/A/+-/PIM/PPP/SOG/FW/HIT/BLK as stats (+ W/GAA/SV% for goalies). Here is my drafted team:

Landeskog Mackinnon Ovechkin
Vermette Backes Hornqvist
Ryan Granlund

Subban Phaneuf
Ehrhoff Josi
Gudas Ekblad

Gibson
Lehtonen

We have 10 teams in the league, so I shouldn't expect an all-star team, but I'm just overall unhappy with my team. What did I screw up on here?

Jacob8hockey*

Your team could get real weak real fast if Mackinnon, Landeskog, or Phaneuf don't perform. Maybe Gibson too.

*Assuming Ovie and Subban perform.

Lowe in Oil

Aug 29, 2006
Montreal
Why do you have 6 defensemen?

how many do you have to start per day?
If it's 4, you should not have more than 5D

And I don't know why you drafted Vermette. He is not in the top 100. Are faceoffs counted?

adaboost

Aug 15, 2012
Why do you have 6 defensemen?

how many do you have to start per day?
If it's 4, you should not have more than 5D

And I don't know why you drafted Vermette. He is not in the top 100. Are faceoffs counted?

Yeah, it's 4 D per day. I can see why you'd think 5D makes more sense than 6.

I mainly picked up Vermette for faceoffs, yes.

Noly

Mar 3, 2014
Your team could get real weak real fast if Mackinnon, Landeskog, or Phaneuf don't perform. Maybe Gibson too.

*Assuming Ovie and Subban perform.

If Landeskog doesn't perform? lol

OP I'd say your weakest link is likely Ekblad. I think you have a pretty good team for the stats you listed, FW's are likely the stat you will have the hardest time in, even with Vermette, because other than him, Backes is basically your only guy that even takes faceoffs regularly. And even he might wind up playing wing with Stastny at C. Granlund does too actually, so if he takes a few more this year you might be alright.

If I were you, I'd consider trading for a more tried and true faceoff guy just in case that happens with Backes. It seems to me like you might have a surplus of hits with Ovechkin, Landeskog, Backes, Phaneuf, Subban and Gudas, with Hornqvist chipping in as well. That's a lot of hits. Two guys with 250+, two more with 200+, two more with 170+.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Depth.

Ovechkin is a risk to decline soon. If this is a keeper I'd trade Ovechkin and add depth. Your goaltending is good if Gibson performs. For a 10 person league you should definitely have more depth

Lowe in Oil

Aug 29, 2006
Montreal
He's in a 10 person league that each drafted 16 players. The final round of his draft was 144th-160th overall dude.

I meant top 100 in forwards. But since FWs are counted, maybe he has a bit more value than I originally thought. I still wouldn't have drafted him. I would have went with a better center earlier in the draft.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
2 Goalies? I would've drafted a 3rd Instead of a 6th Defensemen. Picking someone up midseason who gets starts wont be a problem, but they won't be elite in any sense. Look at the other 9 teams in your league and see if you can deal a D-Man for a decent goalie. Don't know what the categories are but if they're counting W's, that's gonna be difficult depending on the week, (considering Gibson and Andersen are most likely going to compete for the start...)

klassic

Jul 30, 2014
I typically only run with 4D if that is the number of slots I have. Better to have more forwards who will add to more categories. I'd drop at least Ekblad (likely not fantasy relavant this year) and probably Josi or Ehrhoff. Gudas will be a killer on Hits, Blks, PIM.

Look for a forward and a GOALIE. Goalie is a major weakness. Lehtonen always gets hurt, and Gibson is in a timeshare at the least and is unproven. Maybe pickup Andersen and run with both ANH goalies.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I agree with only keeping four defensemen. What does your waiver wire look like in terms of forwards and goalies? I also agree with the Andersen idea if he's available. I'd probably roll with three goalies, four defensemen, and nine forwards.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
dump ekblad and josi for a 3rd goalie and another forward...then look at dropping vermette for someone better... he really should not be held this year in a 10 teamer....

ryan519*

Depth.

Ovechkin is a risk to decline soon. If this is a keeper I'd trade Ovechkin and add depth. Your goaltending is good if Gibson performs. For a 10 person league you should definitely have more depth

lol yeah, the 51 goal scorer from last year is a risk to decline soon

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
lol yeah, the 51 goal scorer from last year is a risk to decline soon

Yes that's what typically happens to pure goals orders once they hit their late 20s.

Also were you sleeping for a couple years? He's already shown signs of declining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad