WC: Just 94 days away; the 2024 IIHF World Championships in Prague & Ostrava

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Rosters this year might be marginally better, and I expect next year's tournament to be much better than in the past few years. Arguably more attractive locations for players and their families to vacation to, and now with Olympic selection looming overhead.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Hey Finnish people, how far is this from the real roster for WC 2024- depending everyone accepts from NHL who are not making the playoffs with contracts.

Mi. Granlund-Manninen-Hartikainen
Maccelli-Suomela-Tolvanen
Pesonen-Lammikko-Armia
Oksanen-Bjorninen-Sallinen
Rajala, Saarela

Lehtonen-Jokiharju
Maata-Vatanen
Ohtamaa-Ristolainen
Valimaki-Pokka

Husso
Korpisalo
Larmi
Not far off, minor changes to the line up. The 4th line will be a shutdown line, so Oksanen is much more suitable than Rajala in that role. And the 1st pair had 2 PMDs, so Jokiharju and Vatanen switch places. Jokiharju has gotten used to a more defensive role now a days.

Im having hard time to see Ristolainen in the team but since NHL players returns to Olympics, that just might give him more motivation to join. After all RR was left out from the "Olympics-meeting" or what ever it was in 2021, preliminary camp etc.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
update on 2024-2025

KHL Pres. Alexei Morozov confirms the league´s plan to prolong the 2024-2025 season into May when the IIHF Worlds is traditionally played. The 2025 IIHF Worlds will start on May 9. I add the KHL season has always finished on April 30. Game changer for modern European hockey next year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
update on 2024-2025

KHL Pres. Alexei Morozov confirms the league´s plan to prolong the 2024-2025 season into May when the IIHF Worlds is traditionally played. The 2025 IIHF Worlds will start on May 9. I add the KHL season has always finished on April 30. Game changer for modern European hockey next year.
Not really... the KHL guys aren't that prominant at the World's right now.. non on the Swedish/Finnish/Czech/US/Canada squads usually (maybe 3 to 5 total)? No Russia or Belarus. I'd say it has minimal impact right now.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Hey Finnish people, how far is this from the real roster for WC 2024- depending everyone accepts from NHL who are not making the playoffs with contracts.

Mi. Granlund-Manninen-Hartikainen
Maccelli-Suomela-Tolvanen
Pesonen-Lammikko-Armia
Rajala-Bjorninen-Sallinen
Oksanen, Saarela

Lehtonen-Vatanen
Maata-Jokiharju
Ohtamaa-Ristolainen
Valimaki-Pokka

Husso
Korpisalo
Larmi

Well you can remove the following players:

Granlund
Manninen
Hartikainen
Tolvanen
Pesonen
Armia
Rajala
Vatanen
Määttä
Jokiharju
Ristolainen
Välimäki
Husso
Korpisalo

The team we have right now at EHT tournament is probably very close to what we see in May. I think the only NHL-player we might get is Matias Maccelli.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Well you can remove the following players:

Granlund
Manninen
Hartikainen
Tolvanen
Pesonen
Armia
Rajala
Vatanen
Määttä
Jokiharju
Ristolainen
Välimäki
Husso
Korpisalo

The team we have right now at EHT tournament is probably very close to what we see in May. I think the only NHL-player we might get is Matias Maccelli.
LOL...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not really... the KHL guys aren't that prominant at the World's right now.. non on the Swedish/Finnish/Czech/US/Canada squads usually (maybe 3 to 5 total)? No Russia or Belarus. I'd say it has minimal impact right now.
OK. I respect your opinion. But ....

My point is not only next year. My point is a long term effect when this mess is over.

I remind you the history. The KHL has always tried to prolong their season (playoffs) into May with the idea to host the IIHF Worlds in February instead of May. They proposed it at the 2012 Barcelona Hockey Forum, but the European hockey federations (Swedes, Finns, Czechs etc) refused it. The NHL tentatively agreed with the idea to break a season in February to have Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds (instead of May). As we can see, the NHL follows this vision with hosting 4 Nations in February.

The KHL has always been unsuccessfull with the idea of prolonging season due to the pressure from the Russian Hockey Federation (FHR) and the IIHF. Now, the behaviour of the IIHF & national hockey federations in Sweden/Finland/Czechia etc has paradoxically helped the KHL to make it happen. Sadly, the guys at these institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia.

To sum it up. If they make it, they will not come back to "business as usual" after year or two or later when this mess is over.

What will be the effect?

1.Likely the KHL will play their Gagarin Cup playoffs during the IIHF Worlds,

2.The KHL will break the regular season only for two events a) Channel One Cup in December b) February break for Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds/KHL-NHL Series.

3.The KHL will have the same status as the NHL in relationship with the IIHF.

I am writing THIS you (not you personally but all hockey community here) to know the effect of what is happening. And I am asking what quality will the IIHF Worlds (if still in May) have if the best two world leagues (NHL/KHL) will keep playing their playoffs during the May-IIHF Worlds? Or will the IIHF Worlds be held in February?

As said above, the guys at these European hockey institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia. Sadly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Voodoozz

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
OK. I respect your opinion. But ....

My point is not only next year. My point is a long term effect when this mess is over.

I remind you the history. The KHL has always tried to prolong their season (playoffs) into May with the idea to host the IIHF Worlds in February instead of May. They proposed it at the 2012 Barcelona Hockey Forum, but the European hockey federations (Swedes, Finns, Czechs etc) refused it. The NHL tentatively agreed with the idea to break a season in February to have Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds (instead of May). As we can see, the NHL follows this vision with hosting 4 Nations in February.

The KHL has always been unsuccessfull with the idea of prolonging season due to the pressure from the Russian Hockey Federation (FHR) and the IIHF. Now, the behaviour of the IIHF & national hockey federations in Sweden/Finland/Czechia etc has paradoxically helped the KHL to make it happen. Sadly, the guys at these institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia.

To sum it up. If they make it, they will not come back to "business as usual" after year or two or later when this mess is over.

What will be the effect?

1.Likely the KHL will play their Gagarin Cup playoffs during the IIHF Worlds,

2.The KHL will break the regular season only for two events a) Channel One Cup in December b) February break for Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds/KHL-NHL Series.

3.The KHL will have the same status as the NHL in relationship with the IIHF.

I am writing THIS you (not you personally but all hockey community here) to know the effect of what is happening. And I am asking what quality will the IIHF Worlds (if still in May) have if the best two world leagues (NHL/KHL) will keep playing their playoffs during the May-IIHF Worlds? Or will the IIHF Worlds be held in February?

As said above, the guys at these European hockey institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia. Sadly.
I won't lie.. it'd be kind of funny if Russia is allowed to go to the World's and not have their best Euro players available.

The World's is my fav hockey of the year but they are meaningless and have been for awhile now. They really do need to change the format around so that it has some prestige. Obviously, losing access to KHL players won't help that in any way. For now, it's not an issue at all and the KHL playoffs can go to July. In the future, could be a problem for sure.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think just nixing the All Star Game and replacing it with an International Window would be an excellent thing, Olympics every four and then Worlds, 5 nations, etc. the other years.

Something like

26 - Olympics
27 - Worlds
28 - 5 Nations
29 - Worlds
30 - Olympics

etc.

would be a wonderful cycle, great for international hockey, great for drawing attention to the sport that could carry into the NHL postseason push. Don't know how much money it would put in NHL owners pockets which is always gonna be their big concern...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think just nixing the All Star Game and replacing it with an International Window would be an excellent thing, Olympics every four and then Worlds, 5 nations, etc. the other years.

Something like

26 - Olympics
27 - Worlds
28 - 5 Nations
29 - Worlds
30 - Olympics

etc.

would be a wonderful cycle, great for international hockey, great for drawing attention to the sport that could carry into the NHL postseason push. Don't know how much money it would put in NHL owners pockets which is always gonna be their big concern...

That vision is on the table for more than decade. It has always been blocked by the national hockey federations of the leading European hockey countries.

Why do you think the NHL planning the 4 Nations in February? .... because they have a tentative agreement with the KHL & Russians on a date for international break. The Russians explained Bettman how it could be beneficial for him to held a mandatory break in February.
I won't lie.. it'd be kind of funny if Russia is allowed to go to the World's and not have their best Euro players available.

The World's is my fav hockey of the year but they are meaningless and have been for awhile now. They really do need to change the format around so that it has some prestige. Obviously, losing access to KHL players won't help that in any way. For now, it's not an issue at all and the KHL playoffs can go to July. In the future, could be a problem for sure.
I understand your opinion. But the most important is your latest sentence.

Reactions: Czechboy

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

It will not happen because Worlds mean way more for russian politics than KHL.

When Russia is back at Worlds, KHL will go back ho have playoffs in April.

I mean, KHL stopped their season so that National Team has a long, nice, "proper" camp before the Olympics precisely due to National Team being in absolute priority

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
update on 2024-2025

Game changer?

What does it change? The only team with any KHL players in the World Champs last year was Kazakhstan.

This literally changes nothing for international hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad