WC: Just 94 days away; the 2024 IIHF World Championships in Prague & Ostrava

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
| Less than 4 months |

i was really bored, went to the IIHF site and noticed that the next world championships were in 113 days away, - so kinda, just around the corner :)

12 day round robin work out marathon
then 4 day sprint for the quarter, semi and medal rounds

The same schedule what last year but,
the starting day is however, 3 days earlier what last year; May 10th.

Group A

Austria
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
Great Britain
Norway
Switzerland

Group B

France
Germany
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Poland
Slovakia
Sweden
United States

Group A opening day games :
Switzerland - Norway
Czech - Finland

Group B opening day games :
Slovakia - Germany
Sweden - United States

2023 :

Gold medal game, Canada defeated Germany 5-2 (1-1, 1-1, 3-0),
the could have been gold for Germany game

Bronze medal game, Latvia took their first ever medal with a 4-3 win over USA

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Currently, Czechs look to have a good Goalie and D situation (a first really) but a weak F core. If I had to pick, that is how I'd build a team but it's unfortunate as we will be relying on more Euro guys at forward.

G - Vej, Vladar and Dostal should all be avialable and have contracts
D - Gudas, Jiricek and Rutta all have contracts and should be available
F - Hertl should be available, pissed off and has a contract as well

That's the good news.

From Europe really hoping to see Kral and Galvas in the NT jersey (with the old symbol). Hajek will be available. I imagine Zboril too.

F wise - lots of good Euro forwards but I can't see them scaring the likes of Team Canada/Sweden/Finland .... Kase brothers, Kovarcik brother, Cervenka, Kovar, Spacek, Sedlak, Kaut, Frk, Chlapik

Guys in AHL - Vrana, Blumel and Kulich. Vrana has something going on. Blumel would be welcome with open arms but won't be available. Kulich would be Top 6 maybe but also may not be available.

I'm sure I missed some obvious ones.. oh yeah, Jagr.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Currently, Czechs look to have a good Goalie and D situation (a first really) but a weak F core. If I had to pick, that is how I'd build a team but it's unfortunate as we will be relying on more Euro guys at forward.

That's the good news.

From Europe really hoping to see Kral and Galvas in the NT jersey (with the old symbol). Hajek will be available. I imagine Zboril too.

F wise - lots of good Euro forwards but I can't see them scaring the likes of Team Canada/Sweden/Finland .... Kase brothers, Kovarcik brother, Cervenka, Kovar, Spacek, Sedlak, Kaut, Frk, Chlapik

Guys in AHL - Vrana, Blumel and Kulich. Vrana has something going on. Blumel would be welcome with open arms but won't be available. Kulich would be Top 6 maybe but also may not be available.

I wouldn't pick Vrana. Every time he gets picked to the worlds, he fails to bring it.
instead, i would pick Becher from the WHL. I know its mens games but,
Ondrej turns 20, in just over a month, also, he is 6 foot 1.
- so its not like he is a kid anymore

Also, another surprise junior pick Eduard Sale.

F : Becher, Cervenka, Hertl, Kovarcik Kovarcik, Klapka, Kulich,
Palat, Sale, Spacek, MStransky, Tomasek,

D : Gudas, Kempny, Kral, Jiricek, Rutta, Zabransky, Zamorsky, Zboril

G : Mrazek, Dostal, Hrubek

How would that look?

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't pick Vrana. Every time he gets picked to the worlds, he fails to bring it.
instead, i would pick Becher from the WHL. I know its mens games but,
Ondrej turns 20, in just over a month, also, he is 6 foot 1.
- so its not like he is a kid anymore

Also, another surprise junior pick Eduard Sale.

F : Becher, Cervenka, Hertl, Kovarcik Kovarcik, Klapka, Kulich,
Palat, Sale, Spacek, MStransky, Tomasek,

D : Gudas, Kempny, Kral, Jiricek, Rutta, Zabransky, Zamorsky, Zboril

G : Mrazek, Dostal, Hrubek

How would that look?
Probably close to reality...

Sale is not ready yet. I'm hoping he makes AHL next season but he may be doing a victory lap. I think he will be as good as Kulich one day but Kulich is built like a 25 year old and Sale is built like a 17 year old. So that will take time. Klapka (who I love) may be buried in AHL. Becher is up and down and undrafted. Not even certain he'd be on the NT radar yet. Not even sure if he's headed back to Europe, redrafted, AHL PTO next year or overage WHLer. Tomasek should be a lock.. doing very weill in SHL. Another guy that may be buried in AHL is Smejkal and I always have room for him. Flek will be added as he seems to be a leader in that locker room and plays his 4th line brilliantly.

The other D that may be buried is Svozil. I would love him on the third pair with some PP2 time. Shelter him a little but he's a gamer, has played pro in Europe and is doing well in AHL.

The D is what I'm hoping more or less and could see that.. I'd prefer Jakub Galvas and Dominik Masin but it's a good D core for Czech standards.

Mrazek is UFA unfortunately. at one point I thought he'd finish out his NHL career this season but looks like he may be a TDL acquistion or he'll sign in summer somewhere. I would love a Mrazek revenge tour though! To me, Dostal is our best goalie. I don't care what the stats are.. if all are available, Dostal is my starter in Spring. Since Czechs love playing a Euro goalie over an NHL one.. I hope it's 3 NHLers because, in your scenario, they'd start Hrubek.lol

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
good cze is in canada group phase 1 make sure we beat CZE IN POOL PLAY.... then win the gold of course

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Let's get the list of 100 NHLers that decline to play for the U.S. out of the way now. I'll start:

R.J. Umberger
As is tradition.

Always excited for this tournament. I think it has a nice amount of games for teams to really know how good they are. It sucks that Russia isn’t in the tournament, it makes it better, but it’s nice you get other countries in.

Can’t wait!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
good cze is in canada group phase 1 make sure we beat CZE IN POOL PLAY.... then win the gold of course
Canada in Prague is a wagon. Last worlds here was the best worlds team since the USSR days. Then the last Canadian gold in Europe for the juniors was Prague too! Canadian wives love Prague.lol.

Reactions: hockey20000

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was in Prague for three days this past October. I'm a big history buff so I absolutely loved it. Stayed very close to Charles Bridge.

The good thing about the tournament being in a city like Prague is that if your team is eliminated early you can still enjoy the city. I'm guessing it will be very crowded though.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Last tournament as a Finnish coach for Jukka Jalonen after three golds and one silver. Last year didn't go well, let's see if he can return to a usual level by his standards.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Last tournament as a Finnish coach for Jukka Jalonen after three golds and one silver. Last year didn't go well, let's see if he can return to a usual level by his standards.
That's be a great story... Especially if he can beat Canada along the way to gold. Seems like the best rivalry going last few years at skodas

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Mrazek just signed an extension which means he will be available (barring injury). So goalies we have under contract and available for Prague are Mrazek, Vladar, Vejmelka and Dostal. So watch Simon Hrubec be the starter.lmao Hoping we can get 2 of those guys and a young Euro with NHL potential (eg. last year I wanted Stezka in the 3 spot).

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

That's the good news.

Czechs looking good

when it comes to Sweden, im expecting something like this,

Lars Johansson
Marcus Högberg
Linus Söderström

Tömmernäs - Pudas
Fantenberg - Persson
Nemeth - Bengtsson
Lindholm - Djoos

Sörensen - Wallmark - Fröden
Elvenes - Lindberg - A.Petersson
A Johnson - Ejdsell - M Sylvegård
Nygård - Bengtsson - Friberg
Lang

with europe players only, hopefully we get many NHLers, but not likely, there is a dark cloud im feeling regarding the NHLers wanting to play for us

Amazingly boring team but it is what it is, our youngsters are not ready

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs looking good

when it comes to Sweden, im expecting something like this,

Lars Johansson
Marcus Högberg
Linus Söderström

Tömmernäs - Pudas
Fantenberg - Persson
Nemeth - Bengtsson
Lindholm - Djoos

Sörensen - Wallmark - Fröden
Elvenes - Lindberg - A.Petersson
A Johnson - Ejdsell - M Sylvegård
Nygård - Bengtsson - Friberg
Lang

with europe players only, hopefully we get many NHLers, but not likely, there is a dark cloud im feeling regarding the NHLers wanting to play for us

Amazingly boring team but it is what it is, our youngsters are not ready
Mrazek is now available.too!

So we should have several NHL goalies available.. not thrilled with forwards at all. D is good for Skoda standards...

Sweden has 100 NHLers and Nylanderay be available! They will be a force... And if you get Ullmark we get Pasta! Although I'd like the Bs to have a nice long run to be honest.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Mrazek is now available.too!

So we should have several NHL goalies available.. not thrilled with forwards at all. D is good for Skoda standards...

Sweden has 100 NHLers and Nylanderay be available! They will be a force... And if you get Ullmark we get Pasta! Although I'd like the Bs to have a nice long run to be honest.
I hope u are not reffering to Alexander Nylander, he stinks.

krutais23

May 1, 2023
Hey Finnish people, how far is this from the real roster for WC 2024- depending everyone accepts from NHL who are not making the playoffs with contracts.

Mi. Granlund-Manninen-Hartikainen
Maccelli-Suomela-Tolvanen
Pesonen-Lammikko-Armia
Rajala-Bjorninen-Sallinen
Oksanen, Saarela

Lehtonen-Vatanen
Maata-Jokiharju
Ohtamaa-Ristolainen
Valimaki-Pokka

Husso
Korpisalo
Larmi