Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still waiting for LafleursGuy to post the list of users who wanted the Habs to draft Shane Wright that are now complaining that we didn’t draft slogan Cooley.

Things are easy to claim, but backing it up seems to be a bit more difficult.
They know who they are. :) I’m not posting a list.

And no, it’s not difficult to back up either. :laugh:

Watch for it yourself. They’re out there.

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Jack Hughes, KK:
2 players who should be left out of the Slaf discussion. Opposite ends of the spectrum.

JH showed elite attributes as early as his unsuccessful rookie season - skating and puck handling ability. He was just bad defensively, played with Miles Wood, and was 168 pounds.

KK … what’s the opposite of elite? lol

I think Slaf will be very good at most things - puck handling, skating, finishing, puck protection, passing - but not elite in any particular skillset. Well rounded player in a huge body. Hopefully a 1st line player.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Jack Hughes, KK:
2 players who should be left out of the Slaf discussion. Opposite ends of the spectrum.

JH showed elite attributes as early as his unsuccessful rookie season - skating and puck handling ability. He was just bad defensively, played with Miles Wood, and was 168 pounds.

KK … what’s the opposite of elite? lol

I think Slaf will be very good at most things - puck handling, skating, finishing, puck protection, passing - but not elite in any particular skillset. Well rounded player in a huge body. Hopefully a 1st line player.
I think that's a fair assessment of slaf but he does seem to possess the will to get better, something MSL was known for, and I think slaf is a really determined guy. It wouldn't surprise me if he just kept improving into his 20s. The guy is not even in his 20s and his humility and drive is evident.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
"If he ends up just better than Josh Anderson, i will take it at this point."

We are 4.5 period into preseason and you just know some are abouut to eat the mother of all crow.
We have far too many fans who have no idea on what having some patience means.....

Good game tonight............remember what MSL said, the kid needs some confidence. He can build off of that tonight...

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
There is an opportunity cost to keeping Slaf in the NHL on the hopes of a good D+2/Sophomore NHL season.

That’s the underlying debate here. What is better approach for this specific player and our best interests?

We can disagree in good faith but at this juncture I think preseason has to be evaluated with honesty. Some said Slaf was amazing last game, others said he was lost as always. If we have the same expectations for him, maybe the discourse will be less extreme and irritating to everyone. I get plenty irritated when I read comparison of him and Jack Hughes when they had nowhere the same pedigree or D+1 performance.

Will you treat today’s game with honesty? I have my doubts.

I don’t subscribe to this progression nor do I think it is a reasonable one for Slafkovsky in particular.

Slafkovsky the Project needs to come together and I believe it is more likely to successfully come together if he plays meaningful minutes in all roles. What supports my argument on the first page of this thread is MSL himself — they agreed he needs more puck touches. Most of us annoyed at his last season’s lack of success were annoyed that it was so avoidable: he was never going to dominate the puck in the NHL.

Now is the chance to put egos aside and work to get a meaningful and successful impact player out of Slafkovsky. I don’t believe he will develop the things he needs to develop (namely: playmaking and figuring out the game) even if he plays on the first line shotgun next to Suzuki.
I’m certain that your suggestion of sending Slafkovsky to Finland is « putting egos aside » - sounds like the type of thing Babcock would say to a player before destroying their lives.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Keep your head up, show some good on ice vision, use your big body to win board battles and wear down the other team. Show you belong. 15G 15A would be a great progression offense wise
I think he did exactly that tonight.

Reactions: Tyson

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
There was all this talk of him learning from the Tkachuks, Rantanen (or Anderson last year lol)

While all this time he has in Dach the exact kind of profile you'd want Slaf to learn from and emulate.
I would be force feeding him clips of Thrashers Kovalchuk.

Reactions: Dutronc

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
Looked good tonight vs an ahl roster, didnt look out of pace, exactly why I hope he stays in the ahl all year logging minutes and getting lots of PP time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad