Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I remember arguing with you about tanking to draft high and its correlation to cup winning team in the past. Do you think the tank for Slaf was worth it?
I don’t think they tanked for him.

I think it's rare to sabotage an entire season to select a single player that makes it singularily worth it to have done so.

In other words, my position is the same...I don't believe in “tanking”.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I don’t think they tanked for him.

I think it's rare to sabotage an entire season to select a single player that makes it singularily worth it to have done so.

In other words, my position is the same...I don't believe in “tanking”.
I mean they did got rid of Chariot, Toffoli, Lekhonen and Kulak in 2022 so they in a way substracted player that made the team better short and long term. Not exactly sabotage, but it was the most « tanking » season we had seen in recent years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean they did got rid of Chariot, Toffoli, Lekhonen and Kulak in 2022 so they in a way substracted player that made the team better short and long term. Not exactly sabotage, but it was the most « tanking » season we had seen in recent years.
Teams that aren't making the playoffs make changes, they were headed towards the last pick with or without those players.

Chiarot was a UFA
Lehkonen was a RFA who they couldn't afford to pay
Kulak was a UFA
Toffoli might be the only player you could qualify as a "tank trade" but that was as much opportunity as anything.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Mike Bossy offered the Habs his services a while back for a similar role, but they turned him down.
There's no doubt Bossy is one of the greatest shooter of all time but I'm not convinced of he had the skills to be a teacher.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He started to play way better when he started to use a longer stick in November...
His shot release didn't improve and he seems more comfortable passing instead of taking the shot in most situations. The best shooters (forwards) use a shorter stick to keep the puck closer to the body enabling a quicker release.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He started to play way better when he started to use a longer stick in November...
He started playing way better when he got bumped to the first line. He was doing a lot of good things leading up to that but getting that audition and then nailing the role was the game changer. Think about how many players we've gone through on that right side since Suzuki took over as our lead center.
Not one of them landed the job.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Didnt pacioretty have a long stick?
I'm not sure but I have read that he only used a 70 flex which is very low for someone of his size. Slaf is having issues getting his shot off and having the puck closer to his body would help. It's just an observation, I might be completely wrong.(not a first lol)

Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Try using a shorter stick Slaf, most of the big shooters do.
The best stick handlers and play makers generally use relatively short sticks. It all boils down to how the length affects the top hand.
A longer stick forces you to hold the top hand up forcing the elbow out and away from the body. (Good for Goons) :sarcasm:
A shorter stick allows the elbow to remain closer to the body it also reduces the space between the hands.
This for me is very close to the default for puck handling and when shooting it's far easier/quicker to release a puck from that position..
Try dragging a puck to change the angle with a long stick and see where that elbow ends up before your release it's feels completely unnatural.
Using a shorter stick two things immediately happen one the release is far quicker two more wrist flexibility/maneuverability generates more power.

My ole man forced me to use a stick cut just below my nose which put it about chin level on skates.
As I got older I thought I was wiser and deviated from this and it affected my play without me realizing it.
I broke my lumber during a game and borrowed a smaller stick my game suddenly took flight to the levels it should have been at.
That is when I realized what was going on. That broken stick put some hardware in my trophy case.

Try it at home kids you'll see what I mean. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad