Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was a genrerational talent who never got to fulfill his promise. A modern day Gordon Howe. Just an incredible player. I can’t imagine how he’d do in today’s league. There’d be no stopping him.
Just could not figure out why he never learned to keep his head up. Man between Stevens and Kasparaitus they brutalized him.

Reactions: sandviper

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
He’s never going to be Lindros. He’ll be big and strong but Lindros he ain’t.

To say he’ll never be Lindros, you’re right they’re completely different players. But for the strength. Meh.

This dates me but I was in the crowd at the Montreal Forum to see very young Lindros vs Czechoslavakia at the 1991 Canada Cup. He was definitely strong. But what distinguished him with Slaf would be the mean streak during scuffles. Pushing guys on the ground, and delivering brutal body checks. During that game, they had to help Martin Rucinsky off the ice after one of his hits. He also took out Ulf Samuellson in another game. He was more feared than Slaf.

But as far as pure strength along the boards which is one of the areas to compare them on, I don’t remember Lindros being more dominant than Slaf at that time.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's been over 30 years, memory was off by a year. It was a fun game. When you remember the score you know it's memorable. Lindros actually scored that night. I think Roussel started and got yanked. Racicot was in nets for the Habs. Patrick Roy always struggled against the Flyers. Fun times
I looked up the boxscore, Lindros had 3 assists but did not score. Fuzzy memory.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just could not figure out why he never learned to keep his head up. Man between Stevens and Kasparaitus they brutalized him.
The league let too much go. The way Kasparitus basically was allowed to tackle Lemieux in the 93 playoffs was a disgrace.

Reactions: Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To say he’ll never be Lindros, you’re right they’re completely different players. But for the strength. Meh.

This dates me but I was in the crowd at the Montreal Forum to see very young Lindros vs Czechoslavakia at the 1991 Canada Cup. He was definitely strong. But what distinguished him with Slaf would be the mean streak during scuffles. Pushing guys on the ground, and delivering brutal body checks. During that game, they had to help Martin Rucinsky off the ice after one of his hits. He also took out Ulf Samuellson in another game. He was more feared than Slaf.

But as far as pure strength along the boards which is one of the areas to compare them on, I don’t remember Lindros being more dominant than Slaf at that time.
Geez, I don’t know about strength. And really who cares? Slaf is huge and we drafted him. :)

I’m just saying that it’s a disservice to Slaf to compare him to a generational player like that. And you’re right their styles are completely different.

Slaf wil be Slaf. And I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Geez, I don’t know about strength. And really who cares? Slaf is huge and we drafted him. :)

I’m just saying that it’s a disservice to Slaf to compare him to a generational player like that. And you’re right their styles are completely different.

Slaf wil be Slaf. And I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far.
Many of Lindros’ hit would lead to supplementary discipline if done today. Slaf would be wasting his time trying to play that way. Refs often turned a blind eye to charging, late hits, hits to the head, hits on the numbers, jumping up to hit. Slaf should work on his shot release. He’ll get more bang for his buck.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
That I don't remember. I do remember chatting with Lyle Odelein and Kirk Muller before the warm ups. The only Hab I remember that scored was Brisebois on a slap shot. 7-6 games are entertaining.

Breezer and LeBeau both scored less than a minute apart in the third period (both set up by Mike Keane, his third and fourth points of the game.)

Needless to say, with a score like that, you had Andre 'Red Light' Racicot in net for the Habs. It was an all Quebec affair with Dominic Roussel and Stephane Beauregard in net for the Flyers.

Beauregard faced just six shots and allowed four goals. Quite an effort.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Breezer and LeBeau both scored less than a minute apart in the third period (both set up by Mike Keane, his third and fourth points of the game.)

Needless to say, with a score like that, you had Andre 'Red Light' Racicot in net for the Habs. It was an all Quebec affair with Dominic Roussel and Stephane Beauregard in net for the Flyers.

I remember Brisebois blasted one by Roussel. We were all bummed Roy didn't start but we figured it out over the next couple of years that he struggled mightily against the Flyers.

I saw another game live at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh during the 73-74 season. The Habs won 5-4 and were outshot 57-18. Wayne Thomas was in nets. I have been fortunate to see the Habs in many NHL arenas.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Many of Lindros’ hit would lead to supplementary discipline if done today. Slaf would be wasting his time trying to play that way. Refs often turned a blind eye to charging, late hits, hits to the head, hits on the numbers, jumping up to hit. Slaf should work on his shot release. He’ll get more bang for his buck.
Lindros wasn’t just a hitter. He was highly skilled. A true generational talent.

And then he met Scott Stevens…

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
There ya go!

There have to be some others, Thornton, Getzlaff, Perry, Nash. Lots of big guys who came in.

Next year: shot quota. :)

There you go. Thornton was the guy I was thinking of ! Not Lindros. I looked at the past top picks a while ago and ended up going up to Lindros, I mixed both up trying to go from memory. Thornton was 198 lbs at the draft. None of these guys you mention were Slafs size, I'm pretty sure. Nash was 188lbs.

The only two forwards I can think of are Steve Bernier, who wasnt fit like Slaf and Anthony Stewart, who wasn't as skilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Both a 1993 draft card and 1995-1996 rookie card have Big Bert at 6’3” 227 lol. Took him almost a decade to put his potential game together, which was of course greatly helped by Naslund’s emergence.

Maybe Bertuzzi rounds out his pro game earlier if he doesn’t come in under Milbury’s delusional Islander regime.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For the record, I wasn't suggesting Slafkovsky was as good as Eric Lindros, in case that wasn't clear. Few players in history were as good as young Lindros.

Still, it's so rare to see a teenager have an impact physically in the NHL, and Slafkovsky is already there.

Reactions: Kennerback

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Think it was the big man syndrome… he was always the biggest and most physical guy on the ice and was used to being the bully. I agree those two always dished it out to him.

Slaf doesn’t go around beating guys up, not the same as Lindros, but he hopefully continues to learn to be aware on the Ice for these hits.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I am 48 years old and I remember Lindros in the Juniors so well.

That basterd was at 6.5 and 230 pounds at the draft.

He was a f..beast and a lot more stronger at 16 than Slaf is now.....can you believe it.

In fact nobody have seen a beast like Lindros before or after.

Everybody remember and talk about when Stevens crushed him..and Kasparatis after that...and it was basically the end of wreckmachine Lindros...

...but before that ....Lindros crushed everybody... he was a force.

Hard to compare sports..but Lindros was like a kind of Mike Tyson in the sens that Tyson was heavyweight champion at only 20 years old and everybody feared him...even before the fights started.

Tyson lost at 24 years and never been the same after..

Lindros at 18 was stronger than 100% of 25 years old NHL players.

I had a dinner one day with Patrice Brisebois and he told us that all defensemen were feared of Lindros at the time.
I think it was Pierre Page who used to call him Darth Vader.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just saw someone say that Slafkovsky looks like Manny from the move Scarface and now I can't unsee it lol

1704379989502.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad