Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
This is what he said:
Why did Canadiens' Slafkovsky stay in NHL? Kent Hughes gave some insight.

But the flipside of it, and concern, was it’s not about offensive production. If we put him in the American Hockey League and then all of the sudden the coaching staff and everyone is expecting him to score and he’s expecting it of himself, then it could be counterproductive.”

Even our GM was not convinced Slafkofsky could deliver in AHL.

Is the AHL really the place where you learn to score and produce? I don’t think Pacioretty, Wright or others were sent back down to learn to score. You have an innate sense to shoot and score or you don’t. You miss 100% of shots you don’t take is something learned in Pee-Wee.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Is the AHL really the place where you learn to score and produce? I don’t think Pacioretty, Wright or others were sent back down to learn to score. You have an innate sense to shoot and score or you don’t. You miss 100% of shots you don’t take is something learned in Pee-Wee.
What do you think? He has it or not?

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
What do you think? He has it or not?
I used to think he was Dainius Zubrus. I’ve downgraded him to Chad Kilger. Big, Fast, Looked like a Million bucks on the ice, Top 5OA, even harder shot than Slaf, less offensive sense than Zubrus, couldn’t produce points at all.. As far as I’m concerned, he’s Kilger until he proves to the world he’s not Kilger.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
This is what he said:

But the flipside of it, and concern, was it’s not about offensive production. If we put him in the American Hockey League and then all of the sudden the coaching staff and everyone is expecting him to score and he’s expecting it of himself, then it could be counterproductive.”

Since your good at research, unless I am mixing this one up with another, I think there is another press conference where Chantal is present. I also think they are standing up…
Anyway if I am right, he talks about it in that one too.

But it’s possible I am confusing both of these conferences.

So, if you have a little time and want to try and find it… :)

But otherwise, yeah that sums it up.

I find it pretty shocking they come to the conclusion that it is too risky for him to play in the AHL because he might not produce.

I also think there might be a little wishful thinking here. Let’s not adresse the possible problem and it might go away.

I used to think he was Dainius Zubrus. I’ve downgraded him to Chad Kilger. Big, Fast, Looked like a Million bucks on the ice, Top 5OA, even harder shot than Slaf, less offensive sense than Zubrus, couldn’t produce points at all.. As far as I’m concerned, he’s Kilger until he proves to the world he’s not Kilger.
I’ve been thinking Tuner Stevenson but Kilger is another.

I’m still hoping for Joe Thornton though :) lol

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Pacioretty didn't have an innate sense to shoot and score. He was a pass first guy for some time after being drafted.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Since your good at research, unless I am mixing this one up with another, I think there is another press conference where Chantal is present. I also think they are standing up…
Anyway if I am right, he talks about it in that one too.

But it’s possible I am confusing both of these conferences.

So, if you have a little time and want to try and find it… :)

But otherwise, yeah that sums it up.

I find it pretty shocking they come to the conclusion that it is too risky for him to play in the AHL because he might not produce.

I also think there might be a little wishful thinking here. Let’s not adresse the possible problem and it might go away.

I’ve been thinking Tuner Stevenson but Kilger is another.

I’m still hoping for Joe Thornton though :) lol
Well, seems like Hughes demystified the reason why he isn't producing. Basically he has 0 pressure on scoring so it's normal he shoots once per game. Why should he shoot more?
One the other hand, his sophomore season will end and kid will look at himself being behind notorious busts like Stefan, Wickenheiser and Yakupov and then the last year of ELC will come and out of nowhere he'll be pressured to score to avoid some crappy low money bridge contract that he'll be offered.

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Recent comments on this board (paraphrasing):
"Slaf is a bum, loser", "two point night he is getting it"
"Ylonen is the boss, put him on a first line" "put him back on the fourth line"
"Monahan is a key player" "He is too slow"
Article on mood swingers: "A character whose personality isn't marked by any set mood, but by their tendency to swing between moods drastically."
Absolutely healthy to have opinions and express them, especially on any fan board. Just don't want anyone to have a cardiac arrest over the Habs! :):):)

Last edited:

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I wonder if the same people who were talking up Ylonen after his two point night and using it as an opportunity to bash Slaf might want to eat some crow?

Reactions: Pomee

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
''Slaf's best 3 game stretch''

View attachment 768162

giphy.gif
capturee.PNG

giphy (4).gif

Outdated.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is what he said:

The counterproductive aspect isn't that he wouldn't score, it's that he would focus on scoring instead of focusing on the things that they actually want him to get better at. Earlier in the article he even talks specifically about how "you’ll be naturally inclined to rely more on what you’ve always done rather than what you’ve learned through correction". That's the concern they had with Slaf in the AHL being the go to guy, he'd be more likely to be doing things that work at lower levels but won't translate in the NHL.

As an example Drouin going back to the Q after being drafted caused him to just double down on putting up points doing stuff that works in juniors but doesn't work in the NHL. So rather then learning the pro-habits he needed to learn to be successful in the NHL he reinforced the junior habits that would prevent him from reaching his potential.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I wonder if the same people who were talking up Ylonen after his two point night and using it as an opportunity to bash Slaf might want to eat some crow?
no that I care about Ylonen, but one of those is 24 and has played in the AHL, the other is 19 and hasn't. Your point?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
He scored the exact kind of goal someone with his frame can score and smaller players cannot score. This is the Slafkovsky advantage — big frame, good release, get in there.

The less said about the rest of his game and his brutal turnovers the better. Nothing has changed — he’s not an NHL player at this time.

I think he’s now officially passed his PPG from his rookie season. He was on pace for 21 pts as a rookie and is now on pace for 22 pts as a sophomore.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tonight the entire team looked bad. It wasn’t Slaf’s best game either. However, he got two points. In previous games where he looked great, he came away with nothing. Hopefully this is the start of things evening out a little for him because he should have more points than he does.

Hate that they’ve moved him down though… goes completely against what we should be doing with him.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Tonight the entire team looked bad. It wasn’t Slaf’s best game either. However, he got two points. In previous games where he looked great, he came away with nothing. Hopefully this is the start of things evening out a little for him because he should have more points than he does.

Hate that they’ve moved him down though… goes completely against what we should be doing with him.
I fell asleep after the first, but he didn’t see much Ice from what I watched.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
He scored the exact kind of goal someone with his frame can score and smaller players cannot score. This is the Slafkovsky advantage — big frame, good release, get in there.

The less said about the rest of his game and his brutal turnovers the better. Nothing has changed — he’s not an NHL player at this time.

I think he’s now officially passed his PPG from his rookie season. He was on pace for 21 pts as a rookie and is now on pace for 22 pts as a sophomore.
That's where we disagree. I think it's clear he's an NHL player, but not an above average one at all. He's also certainly not at the level we'd all hope of a 1OA at this stage would be. I just wonder if our mediocre AHL team would really be the better environment to develop in.

Thankfully it's early on in the year and Montreal can easily afford another ~15 games before deciding on what to do with Slaf for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Don D and 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad