Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What skill are you talking about?
Where do you see skill? He is able to pass the puck to his teammate's stick? That's skill? 1OA skill?
Well, Travis Moen used to do that too.
When I read some posters here, I have a feeling that we drafter an unquestionable talent bursting with skill.
Yeah, he'll probably have a breakout in his career, but I wouldn't be surprised that it will happen in some european league if he doesn't get his sh** together.
Guy was selected 1OA and even with ELC contract he earns many times more than he'd earn in Liiga.
Do I see any kind of will to compete in him? Hell no.
19yrs old kid wanting to become a superstar should eat the ice when his shift is on and not playing like a dead fish.
But hey, it's all his linemates fault...or it's all coaches fault...or it's all managemant's fault.

This kind of rejection of Slaf skill and potential kills the flavour of any debate.

Sorry but i refuse to believe that we have all been fooled by Slafkovsky in his draft year and that he has absolutely no skill.

There is a lot reason for concern from if the selection was right to if we are handling it the correct way. But to simply deny his skillset and potential like that is only reflective of a bias.

View attachment 762570

This tweet is making the rounds, find this from a former pro hockey player’s mouth no less. Screenshot in case it is deleted.

Hockey historians will certainly be talking about Slafkovsky, Bobrov got it right. Let’s hope it’s for the right reasons.

This tweet is nothing more than projection.

Jordan Schmaltz is a failed first rounder. He saw his career die in the American Hockey League of desespoir, where he points for Slafkovsky to go indefinitely.

And he played 56 NHL games. Just 7 more than 19YO Slaf.

He is madly insecure and he is projecting his failed career into Slafkovsky.

Every qualificative he used for Slaf are also an excellent representation of his own failure.

If "trusting" MSL and Hughes because of their reputation is not valid, then why should we take what Schmaltz has to say, since his reputation is one of an absolute total bust?
____

As for your quote on Bobrov... Hahaha!

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Nah it's Anderson's fault, the guy who hits 20+ every year regardless of which line he's on and frequently gets juggled around.
Who said it’s Anderson’s “fault” for anything?

But it makes zero sense to have that line together. Anderson has no Iq. Newhook’s trying to establish himself. It’s just not a good combo.

With Dach it’s a different story. But that ship has sailed.

Reactions: Miller Time

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
This kind of rejection of Slaf skill and potential kills the flavour of any debate.

Sorry but i refuse to believe that we have all been fooled by Slafkovsky in his draft year and that he has absolutely no skill.

There is a lot reason for concern from if the selection was right to if we are handling it the correct way. But to simply deny his skillset and potential like that is only reflective of a bias.

This tweet is nothing more than projection.

Jordan Schmaltz is a failed first rounder. He saw his career die in the American Hockey League of desespoir, where he points for Slafkovsky to go indefinitely.

And he played 56 NHL games. Just 7 more than 19YO Slaf.

He is madly insecure and he is projecting his failed career into Slafkovsky.

Every qualificative he used for Slaf are also an excellent representation of his own failure.

If "trusting" MSL and Hughes because of their reputation is not valid, then why should we take what Schmaltz has to say, since his reputation is one of an absolute total bust?
____

As for your quote on Bobrov... Hahaha!
What reputation do MSL and Hughes have in relation to their current roles? None. And they are developing not a very good one.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Pacioretty turned out fine after multiple stints in the AHL and worrying performances in the NHL, we should hope Slaf becomes as good as Pacioretty

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think he could be a 30/30 guy if everything goes right. Although I’m starting to question if that ceiling is at all realistic. His body and skillset don’t really jive imo, he doesn’t protect the puck, drive the net or do any of the things you would expect to see a big guy do.

Most of the intrigue is the unique size and skill combo, but his size has been a complete non factor imo. He doesn’t know how to use it. I don’t think he will learn in his 20’s. His play style will be hard to change and I don’t think a 6’4” 230 lb perimeter 20 goal scorer is any more valuable than a 5’10” one.
Slaf is playing like a finesse guy, not using his physical attributes to his advantage.

Just now listening to a local weekday sports show on 98.5 FM, the host (Mario Langue-sale) mentioned that he got the net impression after he last interviewed Hughes, speaking to him both on and off air, that the Habs envision Slaf as a power forward.

To be clear, Hughes didn’t expressly say it in so many words but the host claims that it could be inferred.

The reason they’re not sending Slaf down is the org’s thinking that the best way to develop a power forward is to have him play at the NHL level.

Yes Hughes did say at the time Slaf was drafted that they were looking to what the player could be several years from now.

However, how do you get a guy to play a style that doesn’t appear to be his? When you look at NHL power forwards, most had an edge and nastiness to their game before plying their trade in the big league. They already had that foundation.

Slaf looks like someone who doesn’t want or seek to engage physically. He’s even had trouble protecting himself against opposition hits, leaving himself vulnerable in situations that most North American players would not.

Sure, he’s a project but makes you wonder if they’re not trying to turn him into something he’s not.

MatWilson

Jan 7, 2020
Slaf plays like he's in a phone booth even when he has open ice. It's like he's buffering. You can tell he CAN make the play through flashes here and there, but there's a bottleneck somewhere. MSL should tell him to play hockey as if it was a stationary bike that just insulted his mother. Get that 238lbs frame angry.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pacioretty turned out fine after multiple stints in the AHL and worrying performances in the NHL, we should hope Slaf becomes as good as Pacioretty
I vividly recall conversations surrounding Pacioretty when he was draft, there was a lot of talk about how they should have drafted Perron cause he made the NHL right away and was producing, and Pacioretty took a bit more time.

Development isn't always an upwards trajectory.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Didn't we used to call him “Bambi” round these parts?
That was solely a function of his skating. The guy did have a rough side to him but he tended to use it in a retaliatory mode or self defence.

Reactions: 417

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal

HOLY SHIT. Have I not been saying this since the video came out? I knew Bobrov was a moron, and now the rest of the hockey universe is realizing it too.

Better late than never. This org deserves all the mockery that it gets.
Why hire a competent head scout when you can have the best snake oil salesman in the business instead, everyone was half-asleep and unable to think straight as soon as he opened his mouth to start his two-hour monologue.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
THN and TSN that's hockey with the 1-2 combo

Leave Britney alone! :blush:

I don't understand why people, including our management, make such a big deal out of this. It's not helping the kid.

I've seen so many athletes being put on a pedestal early in their career and just to fall on their faces when the glitter rubbed off and expectations weren't met.

How many times are the habs going to make the same mistakes, even when the people in charge change?...

It is making me feel like I'm an asylum patient.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I vividly recall conversations surrounding Pacioretty when he was draft, there was a lot of talk about how they should have drafted Perron cause he made the NHL right away and was producing, and Pacioretty took a bit more time.

Development isn't always an upwards trajectory.
But Perron had a better career than Pac so its a moot point.

I don't understand why people, including our management, make such a big deal out of this. It's not helping the kid.

I've seen so many athletes being put on a pedestal early in their career and just to fall on their faces when the glitter rubbed off and expectations weren't met.

How many times are the habs going to make the same mistakes, even when the people in charge change?...

It is making me feel like I'm an asylum patient.
Yeah its a bit crazy. Very much a lot of big braining and ego moves by HuGo. Not good.

Reactions: bcv

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

HOLY SHIT. Have I not been saying this since the video came out? I knew Bobrov was a moron, and now the rest of the hockey universe is realizing it too.

Better late than never. This org deserves all the mockery that it gets.

I was going to post that tweet and then create a bingo card with all the stupidities Bobrov says to support his opinions. Could he have been any more vague?

You could tell Bobrov is a space cadet just by the way he rests his glasses on his forehead. What the hell is that about.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Why hire a competent head scout when you can have the best snake oil salesman in the business instead, everyone was half-asleep and unable to think straight as soon as he opened his mouth to start his two-hour monologue.
You have to admit, the eyeglasses on the forehead radiates thoughtfulness.

I think I speak for everyone here that I have zero ill will towards this kid. It's the bozos that picked him and the bozos that hired those bozos that I'm irate with.

Can't believe how short the honeymoon was with this management
They got the easy part right. Have a garage sale and get as much money as you can. What great managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad