Juno's scheduled rendezvous with Jupiter

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
This is one of the biggest things in the exploration of our solar system in a generation, and it's worth 3 posts so far.

I effin hate our stupid know-nothing ignoramus of a society. :facepalm:

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
lol you can't be serious posting things like that? Calling out society because of a inactive thread about space exploration on a hockey message board?

hfboards will never be a good place to discuss things like this. Space exploration is fairly niche itself and you're in the smallest subforum on a message board dedicated to a sport. Having high expectations of good conversations on things like this in places like this will lead only to disappointment.

That said, there's not a lot to speak about regarding juno other than commenting or posting on whether a certain stage of the mission was a success or not.

Juno just made it to jupiter and is performing a maneuver that will set it up for it's final sustained orbit. The maneuver right now will put it into an orbit that will take 54 days, then it will it will reach the next phase which will put it into its final 14-day orbital period where the good stuff should start pouring out. So it will take 2-3 months from today before juno will start sending cool stuff back.

The scientists behind the juno mission just did a Q&A on reddit that had tons of commends, there is also a subreddit dedicated to the juno mission itself.

I just saw a post saying that images will be available to the public august 27.

Here is a subreddit just for the juno mission.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Here is the most detailed picture we have of jupiter; juno will take better pictures that this. Open this image in an other tab, it's big. Keep in mind this is a composite image, and if juno were to reproduce this image it would also be a composite, but it would have higher resolution.

redspot_voyager1_3072.jpg

Here is a video of juno approaching jupiter with jupiter's moons being visible.

An other cool picture, everyone knows jupiter is big, but how big? Using north america as a reference.

5gh9l7O.jpg

Last edited:

DyerMaker66*

Is that picture of Jupiter's spot?

How can something with as much gravity as Jupiter be gas? Should it sublimate itself?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
This is truly amazing and should be getting far more fanfare than it is. The whole process has been building up over years and hundreds of millions of KM apart for this object to be able to see Jupiter so closely. It's crazy to me.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Am I the only one who wishes they would just launch something with a camera right into Jupiter's atmosphere to take as many pictures as it possibly can while on its way down? :laugh:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Am I the only one who wishes they would just launch something with a camera right into Jupiter's atmosphere to take as many pictures as it possibly can while on its way down? :laugh:

It will be intentionally crashed into Jupiter in a year and a half, so maybe you'll get your wish.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
It will be intentionally crashed into Jupiter in a year and a half, so maybe you'll get your wish.

So what is going to destroy Juno? The pressure, the atmosphere, the storms? I guess all three plus more?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So what is going to destroy Juno? The pressure, the atmosphere, the storms? I guess all three plus more?

As far as I can understand, its more of a soupy planet than a gaseous planet. Average density is a little bit higher than water, so crashing into that will likely cause most of the probe to disintegrate.

I'm not totally sure that's accurate, though. Jupiter supposedly has a solid core, which could throw off the density a fair bit (the average density vs. what it actually will encounter). Regardless, it has an atmosphere, and judging by looking at the probe, that's all Jupiter needs in order for the probe to be destroyed during entry.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Jupiter has always given me anxiety to look at. It's unique in our solar system but a lot of planets in our galaxy are similar to it. It really makes you feel small literally and figuratively.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I want pictures!

me too... so far any News regarding Juno are vids like this

"See first pictures of Jupiter from NASA’s Juno probe"... alright there are no pics so stop it with the headline, dont care about animated art...

i understand they want to generate public interest but at least show us something real.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
"See first pictures of Jupiter from NASA’s Juno probe"... alright there are no pics so stop it with the headline, dont care about animated art...

Just the few seconds while the probe was way, way, way out there, en route.

Sounds like it'll be another 6 weeks before we "see" anything.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
simply Fantastic ... !

the size of NA compared to Jupiter ... !

Great lesson of humility ... we and the Universe.

Absolutely awesome.

(by the way i didn't know their was a "science" section in HFboards.
And i come to the board for now 8 years !! )

Keep posting your Juno files ... they are simply magnificent. Thank you !

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
IIRC back in the 90's the Galileo mission dropped a probe into Jupiter that dropped for an hour or so before it was crushed by the pressure and temperature.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
so this already happened before ? i thought the big deal is that this is the first probe reaching jupiter. of course this mission has better equipment means it will probably just confirm data that we already know/guessed.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
so this already happened before ? i thought the big deal is that this is the first probe reaching jupiter. of course this mission has better equipment means it will probably just confirm data that we already know/guessed.

No. Galileo was the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad