Junior Hockey Expansion & Contraction Thread: 2021-22

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It is about time we had a general thread about the additions and subtractions in the gongshow of fantasy hockey for teenagers. Will be edited as teams are built up and torn down. This will not include teams returning from suspending operations due to Covid.

Key
-*rumoured

Additions...
NAHL
Anchorage Wolverines: NAHL team in Anchorage, Alaska approved for the 2021-22 season
El Paso Rhinos: Rhinos to Join the NA3HL and NAHL
Amarillo Bulls --> North Iowa Bulls: NAHL announces relocation of Amarillo Bulls to Mason City, Iowa
Kansas City Scouts --> Amarillo: NAHL announces relocation of Amarillo Bulls to Mason City, Iowa

USPHL

Premier - Cincinnati Jr. Cyclones: Cincinnati Jr. Cyclones To Join USPHL Premier Division In 2021-22
Premier - Buffalo Stampede: Stampede Bring New Face to Junior Hockey in Buffalo
Premier - Hershey Cubs: Bruce Boudreau To Bring USPHL Junior Hockey Team To Hershey
Premier - Lake Tahoe Lakers: Lake Tahoe Lakers to Join USPHL Premier's Pacific Division
Anaheim Avalanche -> Long Beach Shredders: Former NHLer Emerson Etem Announces Long Beach Shredders To Play In Pacific Division
Ontario Jr. Reign - Ontario Jr. Reign To Join USPHL Premier Pacific Division For 2021-22
Premier & Elite - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights To Join USPHL Premier, Elite Divisions For 2021-22
Premier & Elite - Palm Beach Typhoon: Palm Beach Typhoon To Join USPHL Premier, Elite Divisions For 2021-22 Season
*Elite - Elmira Jr. Enforcers: Job opening for an Elite coach advertised on AHCA. The organization already has a team at the Premier level. No official news release

NA3HL
Austin Ice Bats - NA3HL announces new team in Austin, Texas
Missoula Jr. Bruins -> Badlands Sabres - NA3HL announces new team in Rapid City, South Dakota
Minnesota Loons, the NA3HL previously had a team in Breezy Point until the 2020-21 season - NA3HL team returns to Breezy Point, Minnesota
Norwich Sea Captains - NA3HL announces new team in Norwich, Connecticut
North Iowa Bulls->Mason City Toros (rebrand only) - Mason City Toros begin new era in the NA3HL

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think I posted this in the other aforementioned thread:

But the WSHL is supposed to be back, with a their new Vancouver Devils team....
WSHL 2021 Update

Though this has been the last thing updated on the league website, and things are not going well for them after the findings from the Edson Aeros organization. I won't link the story here, but for anyone wanting to do their own research, do a google search for "Edson Aeros Coach" and that should bring up a CBC article with the details.

For the NAHL be sure to include El Paso, since they are going to be fielding both an NA and NA3 teams starting next season

The Springfield Jr. Blues, Jamestown Rebels, and Corpus Christi IceRays also announced they are returning to play for next season: Corpus Christi, Jamestown, Springfield return for 2021-22 season

Springfield Individual Press Release: Jr. Blues Set to Return for 2021-22 NAHL Season
Corpus Individual news: https://www.kristv.com/icerays-will-return-for-2021-22-season

KC will continue their hiatus: Kansas City Scouts Organization Update

USHL:
Cedar Rapids should be back after repairs have been made to the arena from the storm damage.
Madison Capitals I've heard rumors may not return but no official word on that

USPHL:
Also add the Hershey Cubs HOME - Hershey Cubs Hockey

Last edited:
Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
My sources say Austin Texas seems to be a place to keep our eyes on...

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Do your sources say what level?

Magic8Ball.jpg

kij

Jan 31, 2016

I don't know of any full-size arenas in the Houston area that can host a hockey team, though MK80 most likely would not get our hopes up for NA3 expansion. The only footprint Houston fits in is the NAHL/Na3HL. The old home of the Sugarland Imperials gets a second chance maybe?

Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I don't know of any full-size arenas in the Houston area that can host a hockey team, though MK80 most likely would not get our hopes up for NA3 expansion. The only footprint Houston fits in is the NAHL/Na3HL. The old home of the Sugarland Imperials gets a second chance maybe?

@mk80 mentioned Austin, TX rather than Houston, TX. I was and am curious since it is a market already occupied by an AHL team.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

@mk80 mentioned Austin, TX rather than Houston, TX. I was and am curious since it is a market already occupied by an AHL team.
NA3HL- resurrecting the Austin Ice Bats Identity

Scroll down this page, at the time of this post (4/7/21) it is the 4th one in the list
Job Openings - American Hockey Coaches Association

At this time I haven't been able to confirm if it's a relocation or true expansion.

Also the Madison Capitols Equipment Manager job opening indicates they will return.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don't know of any full-size arenas in the Houston area that can host a hockey team, though MK80 most likely would not get our hopes up for NA3 expansion. ...
Well, he does have a passing interest in Tier 3 juniors. :popcorn:

But back to Austin ... There's the new Crossover multi-sports facility in Cedar Park including two NHL-size rinks, which looks suitable to host either a Tier II or a Tier III team. I don't see a considerable risk of fracturing the existing hockey fan community with the AHL'S Texas Stars playing nearby, as the two teams would likely draw from different demographics AND the local population is booming. I'll leave the rest of my speculation for @mk80 to tease us further.

ETA: The kid types faster than I do. :phew:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Scroll down this page, at the time of this post (4/7/21) it is the 4th one in the list

At this time I haven't been able to confirm if it's a relocation or true expansion.

Also the Madison Capitols Equipment Manager job opening indicates they will return.

Good catch @mk80. The job description says it is expansion, however they would not be the first team to simply buy the rights of a recently deceased NA3HL team.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well, he does have a passing interest in Tier 3 juniors. :popcorn:

But back to Austin ... There's the new Crossover multi-sports facility in Cedar Park including two NHL-size rinks, which looks suitable to host either a Tier II or a Tier III team. I don't see a considerable risk of fracturing the existing hockey fan community with the AHL'S Texas Stars playing nearby, as the two teams would likely draw from different demographics AND the local population is booming. I'll leave the rest of my speculation for @mk80 to tease us further.

ETA: The kid types faster than I do. :phew:

You're right they are going to play at the Chapparrel Ice that is part of that complex!

Good catch @mk80. The job description says it is expansion, however they would not be the first team to simply buy the rights of a recently deceased NA3HL team.
I guess I should have read more of the description after seeing the posting to catch the word expansion....

The 3HL has really shored up it's South Division, with the additions of El Paso, OKC, and now the Austin Ice Bats to their existing Texas trio and Louisiana. Atlanta is still on a severe island within that division.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

At this time I haven't been able to confirm if it's a relocation or true expansion. ...
The job posting clearly calls it an expansion team. Before I stumbled on the info for the new CP Crossover facility, my initial focus after you mentioned the Austin juniors team was on the Chaparral Ice Northcross complex mentioned in the listing. But I couldn't find any interior photos of the latter rink that showed more than a few rows of bleacher seats for fans, so I wondered whether there was room to add some spectator accommodations. Now I reckon that's a detail already sorted out without my help. :popcorn:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
You're right they are going to play at the Chapparrel Ice that is part of that complex! ...
Northcross is in North Austin, while Crossover is in Cedar Park (with both ice businesses managed by Chaparral Ice). The former (older) facility is the ice identified in the job posting.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Northcross is in North Austin, while Crossover is in Cedar Park (with both ice businesses managed by Chaparral Ice). The former (older) facility is the ice identified in the job posting.
Ah I didn't realize there were two facilities. I will say they won't be the first team in the NA3HL to play in an arena with very limited seating.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You're right they are going to play at the Chapparrel Ice that is part of that complex!

I guess I should have read more of the description after seeing the posting to catch the word expansion....

The 3HL has really shored up it's South Division, with the additions of El Paso, OKC, and now the Austin Ice Bats to their existing Texas trio and Louisiana. Atlanta is still on a severe island within that division.

No worries on that. Like I said, there is a very good chance this "expansion team" is simply a relocation of a team that is folded by the league. New Jersey Titans did this last season with the New England Stars franchise.

The NA3HL owns the country-state of Texas. It is one of the few regions their USPHL rival has no presence in. They do have a serious challenge though: getting the quality up to league standards. The NAHL-backed Texas Brahmas dominate everyone else in terms of on-ice performance and college placements and the rest of the division is fairly weak by comparison in these two junior hockey standards. Most of their divisional companions share a handful of Div III and club commits.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
No worries on that. Like I said, there is a very good chance this "expansion team" is simply a relocation of a team that is folded by the league. New Jersey Titans did this last season with the New England Stars franchise.

The NA3HL owns the country-state of Texas. It is one of the few regions their USPHL rival has no presence in. They do have a serious challenge though: getting the quality up to league standards. The NAHL-backed Texas Brahmas dominate everyone else in terms of on-ice performance and college placements and the rest of the division is fairly weak by comparison in these two junior hockey standards. Most of their divisional companions share a handful of Div III and club commits.
Unfortunately the 3HL has had the problem in a lot of it's divisions with 1 or 2 dominating the while the others can only take points against themselves. Especially when the league was near 50 teams a few seasons ago. Some of the competitiveness has come a bit which has been good to see, but you're right there is still improvement to be done.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
OT: Scanning down that long list of hockey job openings, I came across: "Yellowstone Quake - Head Coach." Ironically, today I'm wearing the Quake game-worn jersey that I bought from the team's discard pile late last summer. Maybe I should attach a selfie to my extensive hockey resume, and see if that gets me a sniff for a twilight career change. :badidea:

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Whoops, long day. I'm glad I was still accurate on 3HL though. Good for the league to expand their stranglehold down there. The problem with getting competitive down south, is most players know that no college will make the trip to scout them down there when the league is playing in their backyard with different teams. Brahmas being the exception given their NAHL affiliation. You will find skill there, but not enough to share.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Whoops, long day. I'm glad I was still accurate on 3HL though. Good for the league to expand their stranglehold down there. The problem with getting competitive down south, is most players know that no college will make the trip to scout them down there when the league is playing in their backyard with different teams. Brahmas being the exception given their NAHL affiliation. You will find skill there, but not enough to share.

It is very possible, albeit very difficult. Teams like Hampton Roads Whalers, Charlotte Rush, Florida Eels, and Richmond Generals are all Div III commit machines and are equally nowhere near any schools. It requires the right combination of competent ownership and capable coaching. We all know that is rare enough in juniors as it is.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

It is very possible, albeit very difficult. Teams like Hampton Roads Whalers, Charlotte Rush, Florida Eels, and Richmond Generals are all Div III commit machines and are equally nowhere near any schools. It requires the right combination of competent ownership and capable coaching. We all know that is rare enough in juniors as it is.

This applies more to the NAHL Brahmas than the 3HL ones obviously, but when I job shadowed with the Brahmas staff, they told me that they get a lot of NHL and NCAA DI scouts because of their location in the DFW area, teams find it easier to fly people in and out of there not only to scout the Brahmas but the teams they play against, it's easier than sending people to say Shreveport or Odessa, etc.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I guess I'll throw this in here... might be the wrong spot but the Alaska Wolverines have their logo and head coach/arena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad