Votes: 4 2.8%
  • RW - Carter Mazur

Votes: 16 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Danielson wins 3rd round with another landslide.

#1 LD - Simon Edvinsson 86.8% (6th overall, 1st round, 2021 draft)
#2 C - Marco Kasper 80% (8th overall, 1st round, 2022 draft)
#3 C - Nate Danielson 68.0% (9th overall, 1st round, 2023 draft)

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wallinder has a better floor and just as good of a ceiling as ASP, IMO.

Reactions: Go Wings

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Would like to hear the argument for ASP over Wallinder that isn't entirely based on where they were drafted.
I don't see much separation between them at this point personally, but I'm interested in watching both of them a lot more this coming season; to better familiarize myself with ASP, and to get an accurate sense of where Wallinder is at as a defenseman.

To answer your question though.... higher offensive ceiling I imagine. Wallinder has developed well, but ASP has done way more offensively at comparable ages. He has more runway to reach an offensive ceiling Wallinder very likely doesn't possess.

Reactions: rangersblues

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't see much separation between them at this point personally, but I'm interested in watching both of them a lot more this coming season; to better familiarize myself with ASP, and to get an accurate sense of where Wallinder is at as a defenseman.

To answer your question though.... higher offensive ceiling I imagine. Wallinder has developed well, but ASP has done way more offensively at comparable ages. He has more runway to reach an offensive ceiling Wallinder very likely doesn't possess.
But skating and floor.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
But skating and floor.
Like I said, I don't have one distinctly above the other at this point, I can kind of see arguments both ways. Maybe there's a shiny new toy factor with ASP. Both have flaws, both have tools. With Wallinder, I still need to be convinced that panic threshold isn't an issue at the NHL level.

Also, curious to know, what do you all see as Wallinder's "calling card?" Big, excellent skater, can transport the puck and has a good transition game. But... will he score a meaningful amount of points? Will he be shutting down scoring forwards? More of a jack-of all-trades guy?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Like I said, I don't have one distinctly above the other at this point, I can kind of see arguments both ways. Maybe there's a shiny new toy factor with ASP. Both have flaws, both have tools. With Wallinder, I still need to be convinced that panic threshold isn't an issue at the NHL level.

Also, curious to know, what do you all see as Wallinder's "calling card?" Big, excellent skater, can transport the puck and has a good transition game. But... will he score a meaningful amount of points? Will he be shutting down scoring forwards? More of a jack-of all-trades guy?
That's largely it. Sort of an early NJ Niedermayer before the overhype set in. 30-40ish points. Skating based game.

Reactions: jaster

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Just basing this on who has gotten votes so far... but Soderblom potentially being deemed our 10th best prospect really puts into perspective how stocked the cupboard is.

#4 is Wallinder for me. The more he has to cook in the non-NHL pro leagues the more he'll be poised to hit the ground running in the NHL when he does arrive, ala Seider. Not to that level per se, just in terms of being able to step in and not look like a rookie.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wallinder easily.

Aside from shiny new toy syndrome, why would anyone vote ASP?

Also @jaster on your point of panic threshold, Wallinder is cool as a cucumber. There is no Jakub Kindl or Dennis Cholowski in his game. No lobbing pucks blindly when within 15 feet of an opposing forward. We'll have to get you a subscription to expressen.se so you can watch SHL. (Or AHLTV since he'll be with the Grifs now.)

Or better yet! When GRG go play Rockport you should take the trip with your family and check them out.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Wallinder easily.

Also @jaster on your point of panic threshold, Wallinder is cool as a cucumber. There is no Jakub Kindl or Dennis Cholowski in his game. No lobbing pucks blindly when within 15 feet of an opposing forward. We'll have to get you a subscription to expressen.se so you can watch SHL. (Or AHLTV since he'll be with the Grifs now.)

Or better yet! When GRG go play Rockport you should take the trip with your family and check them out.
Rockford, bud. Better known around these parts as Screw City (historically an industrial town that has been known as the screw capital of the world, though with how little there is to do there, the other kind of screw may also be appropriate). Rockford is a little ways away, but it's doable. I usually go see the Griffins in Rosemont when they play the Wolves though, that's much closer to my house ;) I'll definitely plan to watch Wallinder in person this season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Rockford, bud. Better known around these parts as Screw City (historically an industrial town that has been known as the screw capital of the world, though with how little there is to do there, the other kind of screw may also be appropriate). Rockford is a little ways away, but it's doable. I usually go see the Griffins in Rosemont when they play the Wolves though, that's much closer to my house ;)

Then you'll enjoy watching Wallinder NOT shit the bed like Cholowski with the puck. He loves to skate it out. I think he's similar to a poor man's Edvinsson, but with a better shot.

Reactions: jaster

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Wallinder easily.

I think it is very close between those two, but I actually really like ASP. I think his ceiling is higher, and think that he is more likely to hit it, so I voted for that upside. I voted him over Kasper for the same reason, and would also have voted Wallinder before Kasper. I'm also fine with being proven wrong, just my perspective on how things are as they sit right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad