July 20: Glioblastoma awareness day

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Healthy 39 yo diagnosed with this aggressive brain tumor. Very grim statistics of survival. Trying experimental personalized vaccine, out of pocket from Germany to combat to reduce "force field" protecting tumors from immune system.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is one I know well. Sure there are musicians I liked who lost their lives to one, Neil Peart and Gord Downie. An neighbor of my parents on the street I grew up on also died of one a few years ago. But for me it was my grandmother that I was very close to who died at 78 only 6 months after being diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforme some 22 years ago now. Back then there was not much more then surgery to remove it and then radiation/chemo but you were lucky if you survived a year most lasted closer to the 6 months of my grandmother.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Scientists at Johns Hopkins University say they’ve developed a gel-based treatment that might be incredibly effective at treating an often-fatal brain cancer. In a study of mice released this week, the gel in combination with surgery was found to eradicate 100% of glioblastoma tumors. It will take more research and safety testing before we can think of trying out this method in humans, however.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Had a very close family friend as well as a friend of a friend who both died from glioblastoma in the last year. Any advances will go a long way, as it's not a matter of if it'll take you, but before how long. Here's hoping. :crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad