GDT: July 1st madness

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah I am worried about that aswell

If they do, maybe its on a 2-way contract so that we can send him down if we need to. I am just not sure why we would sign him because we have no space on the roster.

Jumbo
Pavs
Hertl
Couture
Donskoi
Marleau
Ward
Wingels
Boedker
Nieto (assuming he is re-signed)
Karlsson
Tierney

Thats 12 right there without counting Meier, Goldobin, Sorenson or any other prospect that might surprise us. Then there is Carpenter, Goodrow and Haley.

Seriously, where does Zubrus even fit there?

Is it possible that the Sharks have signed Zubrus? He is showing up on the roster today...

Where do you see him? I don't see him on capfriendly.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If they do, maybe its on a 2-way contract so that we can send him down if we need to. I am just not sure why we would sign him because we have no space on the roster.

Jumbo
Pavs
Hertl
Couture
Donskoi
Marleau
Ward
Wingels
Boedker
Nieto (assuming he is re-signed)
Karlsson
Tierney

Thats 12 right there without counting Meier, Goldobin, Sorenson or any other prospect that might surprise us. Then there is Carpenter, Goodrow and Haley.

Where do you see him? I don't see him on capfriendly.

Maybe the official site?

And a two-way contract just means that they are paid differently at the NHL and AHL level. It has nothing to do with sending a player down.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I think waivers has to do with service time/age/games played.

Yeah, it's kind of complicated bc it depends on if they're a goalie or skater, how old they were when they signed the contract, and games played. Capfriendly is good bc it shows if they're waiver exempt on the main page then if you click on "waiver exempt" on the player's page, it explains how many years and games that player's exempt for. Here's Tierney's
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/chris-tierney#results

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Zubrus' name has been on the Sharks website since before July 1st. They never took him off like they did with the other UFAs. My guess is that means he's retiring.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I think Zubrus will retire. If DW would've signed a new contract with him I think it they would've done and announced it already.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Zubrus' name has been on the Sharks website since before July 1st. They never took him off like they did with the other UFAs. My guess is that means he's retiring.

I know we only had Zubrus only for a season but I actually liked him. Hard working player who seems to make the younger players around him better. Would not mind him if they keep him around in a coaching/training capacity to help the younger kids.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
I know we only had Zubrus only for a season but I actually liked him. Hard working player who seems to make the younger players around him better. Would not mind him if they keep him around in a coaching/training capacity to help the younger kids.
Zubrus :(

Three finals with no cup.................

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

I did too. And he really was frequently a thoroughly acceptable 4th liner, that was generally a net positive when he was on the ice, and who wouldn't lose the game for you. Can you really expect much more out of a 4th liner than being a net positive who won't cost you games? Obviously he wasn't great in the Finals, but then, neither were a lot of forwards.

I also agree completely about him being a positive influence on other players. Remember when Tierney said that being teammates with Zubrus gave him a new outlook on the kind of gym work and training that is truly necessary to have a long career and maximize his talents?

Thinking about the above inspired me to go look it up. :laugh: It's from a Kevin Kurz article from back in the period after we beat St. Louis, but before we'd started the Pittsburgh series. Full article here: http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-tierney-playing-well-ice-assist-zubrus

Most relevant section:
One player that’s benefited from Zubrus being around is Chris Tierney, whose eyes lit up when asked about the 19-year-veteran and the effect he’s had on him this season – starting with off the ice.

“He’s in the gym all the time, and I think he’s gotten me in there a little bit more during the season,” Tierney said. “I think in the past I probably wasn’t in the gym or skating after practice as much as I should have been. He’s a guy that’s really taught me that. Kept me going throughout the season, throughout this long haul.

“It’s funny that an older guy like him, you expect him to be resting more, but he might be one of the hardest working guys on the team. It’s nice to have that veteran guy to help push me along and let me know. [If] I don’t want to work out after a Game 7, he’s there to help me push.”

Zubrus indicated, too, that the pair has formed a bond.

“We’ve talked about on and off the ice. We’ve spent some time together in the gym, too. … He’s learning the game, and I think he’s getting better, honestly, every game. I think everybody has seen his progress. He’s doing well now, and we’ll need him to be even better going ahead.”

Honestly, I think Zubrus was a great pickup for us last year, even beyond just the reasonably competent 4th line play he provided. I mean, how much better a player is Tierney going to be for us in the future now that he's got a new focus and dedication to training and fitness? Just that alone might make the signing worth it. So yeah, I'd be quite happy for Zubrus to stick around the team in some kind of mentoring or coaching capacity. I don't think there's any room for him to actually PLAY for us any more, given the huge logjam we already have at forward, of course. But for a role for him outside of that? I'd absolutely welcome him with open arms.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com

Welll, if there's a chance one of those young guys doesn't make the team (or you're not sure), then you probably don't keep them up as a 13th forward, so you need someone for that. Right now it looks like Haley, but Zubrus wouldn't be the worst as a 13th forward (like he basically was this year).

My guess would also be that he's retiring though. Still, I was happy we had him, he was totally serviceable and seemed to have a good influence on younger guys. Sad we couldn't finally get him a cup though :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad