Joshua Ho-Sang, Center/Right-wing, 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
This is the most amusing thread I think I've read the entire off season.

All this about a punkish 19-year-old kid who likes to party? LOL. Many of you, myself included, have already admitted to having been that kid. It's all part of growing up. Usually one of two things happens for most people after exiting their teens...

a) you continue to mature and become a more responsible and respectful person.
b) you don't.

My crystal ball says 60+ points per season beginning in about 4 yrs.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
This is the most amusing thread I think I've read the entire off season.

All this about a punkish 19-year-old kid who likes to party? LOL. Many of you, myself included, have already admitted to having been that kid. It's all part of growing up. Usually one of two things happens for most people after exiting their teens...

a) you continue to mature and become a more responsible and respectful person.
b) you don't.

My crystal ball says 60+ points per season beginning in about 4 yrs.

It's mostly amusing because people like you make statements like this:

All this about a punkish 19-year-old kid who likes to party?

There is zero indication that Ho-Sang was partying the night before day one of camp and there is no indication of him being someone who parties all the time as he has no history of doing so. He himself said that he doesn't do it.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Well we havent heard a peep yet from Ho-Sang, So clearly he learned his lesson and is keeping his mouth shut and playing hockey.

We all have over slept before, I missed a flight to Jamaica cause I overslept (true story) cost me a 400 dollar lesson

Ive over slept and missed work.. these things happen to all of us. I love psychologists/doctors and the all around unathletic people on this board who feel they need to add their say.

What we do know is he was training all week and the day before he went to a charity golf outing with other Islander players. Out in the sun all day, tons of drinks would take a toll on anyone. OR maybe he wasnt drinking.. out in the sun and then went to do some weights/gym and over did it and his body shut down.

Either way.. we dont know. I wont speculate either. JHS just got taught an expensive lesson and I am sure the Islanders and his agent and his family all have been giving him grief.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
My biggest concern is I hope it doesn't effect his junior season. I wanna see him crush it this season. Also, I hope and pray Hockey Canada doesn't hold it against him. Just another reason for them to not select him for the WJHC team. Though it would be his own fault if they do hold it against him. I just hope they use his play this year in the OHL to decide if the chose him or not. If he's crushing it in the OHL and also gets results in the pre tournament games, there would be no reason not to chose him.

The likelihood HC was selecting was pretty low to begin with. He's demonstrated publicly he's insubordinate to the organization. He got traded from his Jr team (essentially thrown off of it...) and now got tossed from training camp from his NHL team. Yet, a majority of the crop Canada can select from have played along with what most players competing for a spot do. Sometimes just because you are uber talented, yet the rest of you leaves much to be desired, most organizations bypass the talent...

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
As the father of a 20-year old who also screws up at times I can say the following:

A) I tell him being a man is a 24/7/365 job, not when you feel like it.

B) You do the best you can as a father but it comes down to what is inside of them . . . there are no guarantees they come out the way you groom them.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
As the father of a 20-year old who also screws up at times I can say the following:

A) I tell him being a man is a 24/7/365 job, not when you feel like it.

B) You do the best you can as a father but it comes down to what is inside of them . . . there are no guarantees they come out the way you groom them.

Probably the best post I've seen on this board in months. :handclap:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Thanks Darth.

Watching this kid is like watching my son, so many similarities.

:laugh:

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I can understand why people have blown up this incident to gigantic proportions. But I'll think positive on this. Hoping that JHS will buckle down, get an alarm clock, and be focused on playing lights out this entire year. That when next summer winds down he will always be the first one up and ready for training camp and able to show how good of a player he has the potential to be.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks Darth.

Watching this kid is like watching my son, so many similarities.

:laugh:

For what it's worth, I was about as out of control a 20 year old as one could be. Now, I'm an IT director and boring as ****. So don't stress too much.

I feel for kids expected to behave like mini-men when they simply aren't there, mentally or spiritually, in many cases. I know he's got talent and I know he could get rich off his talents if he applied himself, but that isn't the be all, end all for everyone.

HumphreyBrogart

Apr 12, 2007
Mineola, LI/ Hoboken
I can understand why people have blown up this incident to gigantic proportions. But I'll think positive on this. Hoping that JHS will buckle down, get an alarm clock, and be focused on playing lights out this entire year. That when next summer winds down he will always be the first one up and ready for training camp and able to show how good of a player he has the potential to be.

Definitely no reason to blow this up into a huge thing. We should all hope that the scenario you are describing is the one that happens. Worst case is that his problems persist in which case he never would have worked out as a prospect anyway. In either case I don't think the future of the organization depends entirely on JHS's future. It would just be nice for everyone involved if he got his act together. Not the end of the world.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He wasn't going to make the team anyway. If sending him back and "embarassing" him in the hockey media means he'll finally look in the mirror and realize he needs to make some changes, then people shouldn't have any problem with this.

It's better to try and correct these things now so that when he actually has a shot at making the team, there will be no problems/distractions.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
He wasn't going to make the team anyway. If sending him back and "embarassing" him in the hockey media means he'll finally look in the mirror and realize he needs to make some changes, then people shouldn't have any problem with this.

It's better to try and correct these things now so that when he actually has a shot at making the team, there will be no problems/distractions.

Yeah, I agree. Better he makes this type of mistake when there is still time to correct it.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
It's mostly amusing because people like you make statements like this:

There is zero indication that Ho-Sang was partying the night before day one of camp and there is no indication of him being someone who parties all the time as he has no history of doing so. He himself said that he doesn't do it.

He most likely wasn't partying the night before because he's 19 and all the bars on the turnpike that would normally let him in are closed since they've been raided like 5 times in the last month. Unless he was drinking in the room which is just sad.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
He most likely wasn't partying the night before because he's 19 and all the bars on the turnpike that would normally let him in are closed since they've been raided like 5 times in the last month. Unless he was drinking in the room which is just sad.

You'd be surprised how many bouncers will let you in wen you slip them a $100

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

Amen.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well we havent heard a peep yet from Ho-Sang, So clearly he learned his lesson and is keeping his mouth shut and playing hockey.

We all have over slept before, I missed a flight to Jamaica cause I overslept (true story) cost me a 400 dollar lesson

Ive over slept and missed work.. these things happen to all of us. I love psychologists/doctors and the all around unathletic people on this board who feel they need to add their say.

What we do know is he was training all week and the day before he went to a charity golf outing with other Islander players. Out in the sun all day, tons of drinks would take a toll on anyone. OR maybe he wasnt drinking.. out in the sun and then went to do some weights/gym and over did it and his body shut down.

Either way.. we dont know. I wont speculate either. JHS just got taught an expensive lesson and I am sure the Islanders and his agent and his family all have been giving him grief.

We heard him say he didn't use an alarm and was relying on teammates/hotel staff to wake up him. That's about it though.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22...HL on NBC Sports&utm_tags=srm[hockey,article]

Joshua Ho-Sang is a 2014 first round pick that was cut on the first day of training camp because he didn’t set an alarm.

“I should probably start doing that,” Ho-Sang said, per Newsday.

Showing up late to the start of training camp is obviously frowned upon, especially if you’re a young player trying to show you are committed to making the team. It’s particularly problematic in his case because it plays into the perception that his attitude is an issue.

For his part though, Ho-Sang does feel that the Islanders’ decision to cut him was fitting.

http://www.tsn.ca/ho-sang-embarrassed-by-day-1-camp-demotion-1.364701

New York Islanders prospect Josh Ho-Sang was all apologies this week after being cut on the first day of NHL training camp for showing up late.

"Obviously a lot more people found out about my mistake than other people's daily ones, but I definitely take ownership," Ho-Sang told Newsday, adding that being cut was the right thing. "I don't think there's anyone to blame...it's embarrassing."

Ho-Sang, who was sent back to the OHL's Niagara IceDogs, explained that he never set an alarm the entire week leading into the main camp and relied on a wake-up call from the front desk or a roommate.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
"I don't think there's anyone to blame"

That quote and the one where he said something along the lines of "my teammates/hotel front desk didn't wake me up that morning" show he's still got a lot to learn. The most arsebackwards way I've ever heard someone say they were embarrassed...glad he didn't waste any time this camp on jts wing. Let him prime up for the season with NHL caliber linemates, on and off the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad