Josh Leivo

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I thought he was actually one of the best players out there. Had great board work and always drove to the net hard. He got hit with his head down, but that stuff happens from time to time. He really comes across as a player Babcock would love to have. Big frame, good puck skills. I think he makes a case for the bottom 6

That's great to hear. I wasn't really watching for him, so only really noticed him when he made mistakes. He's survived the de-Burke-enizing of the Leafs, so management definitely sees something in him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's just pre-season, but Leivo did not look great last night from what I saw. He fumbled a couple of passes, and just looked rusty. That said, everyone on the ice is rusty and it shows. Josh just looked out of place more often than others.

Does he spend another year in the AHL? Is this a "make or break" season for him?

I thought he was one of our better players. Very noticeable, aggressive on the forecheck, great board play and created a couple chances.

Ferraro from TSN also said that Leivo was a stand out last night.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I thought he was one of our better players. Very noticeable, aggressive on the forecheck, great board play and created a couple chances.

Ferraro from TSN also said that Leivo was a stand out last night.

This is what's great about these types of forums. I made some assumptions based on a few plays that I saw. I'm happy to hear that Leivo actually played well last night and continues to progress into a potential NHL player for the Leafs.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I thought he was actually one of the best players out there. Had great board work and always drove to the net hard. He got hit with his head down, but that stuff happens from time to time. He really comes across as a player Babcock would love to have. Big frame, good puck skills. I think he makes a case for the bottom 6

I agree. He isn't going to be a Lupul replacement like many where hoping 1-2 years ago before/after his great rookie season with the Marlies, but he should be a serviceable NHL player. I think this year with the Marlies is going to prove whether he is a top 9 or bottom 6 player. He remind me a lot of Richard Panik, in that he is definitely more of a shooting than a distributer, but doesn't have elite skating, vision, or shooting to help make him a bonafide top 6 forward.

LeafsYoungGuns

Jul 4, 2011
Smith Falls, Ontario
With Leivo its all about waiting to find out if he can take that next step. He has looked good from what I have seen so far from the footage of preseason and camp. But as is he is a middle 6 guy at best. But if he can develop another part of his game such as his shot or skating he could definitely be a top 6 guy going forward. He is still young so he has some time but if he doesn't wow everybody in the AHL this year he could be shipped out to make way for our other prospects, as we have quite the crop waiting in the wings. Its a numbers game at this point. Crunch time.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
If you could give him Frattin's shot he might be something. I doubt Leivo ever gets much time with the big club though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he doesn't pick it up soon, I see him getting shipped this year in a package which will help us land a 1st rounder or a good prospect.

What else is in the package because if he doesn't pick it up he isn't worth much at all unless a team sees him as a project they would like to take on...those are 5-7th round value types...

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
What else is in the package because if he doesn't pick it up he isn't worth much at all unless a team sees him as a project they would like to take on...those are 5-7th round value types...

He means like, "Michael Grabner + Josh Leivo For 2016 1st and a conditional 5th". Kind of like Biggs and Erixon in the Kessel deal.

Personally, if he doesn't win a spot out of camp, he'll get it after we start doing some trades

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He means like, "Michael Grabner + Josh Leivo For 2016 1st and a conditional 5th". Kind of like Biggs and Erixon in the Kessel deal.

Personally, if he doesn't win a spot out of camp, he'll get it after we start doing some trades

That is a terrible example though, unless Grabner is scoring 20-30 goals this year, no way do Grabner and Leivo combine for a 1st.

Biggs and Erixon were thrown into the Kessel deals as contracts used to even it out.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Bump.

Was just looking at the AHL scoring leaders, Leivo is right up there and hovering around PPG. Kid's playing great!

I think he'll be the first trade deadline call up based on merit and time served in the AHL.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Josh has been a force on the Marlies for the last three seasons.. He really needs another NHL look..

Just Joshin' : All Josh Leivo 2014-15 Goals - TM/TML

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Bump.

Was just looking at the AHL scoring leaders, Leivo is right up there and hovering around PPG. Kid's playing great!

I think he'll be the first trade deadline call up based on merit and time served in the AHL.

Really agree with this. Watched ~10 AHL games, and I feel like he's playing with a chip on his shoulder this year compared to his last year. Seems to have mentally matured. Should definitely be a first choice call-up (especially if Lupul ever gets traded).

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Call ups

There are 20 games left after this season's trade deadline. Hope Leivo, Percy and Loov get the call. That's a reasonable stretch of games to at least get a feel for their potential (or not) going forward. If they go more than 3, I'd like them to take a look at Leipsic and Hyman. I think that's more important than bringing up Nylander and Brown as they are obviously locks for the near future. Okay Brown isn't a lock but I'd be surprised if he isn't on the team in the next year or two.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
There are 20 games left after this season's trade deadline. Hope Leivo, Percy and Loov get the call. That's a reasonable stretch of games to at least get a feel for their potential (or not) going forward. If they go more than 3, I'd like them to take a look at Leipsic and Hyman. I think that's more important than bringing up Nylander and Brown as they are obviously locks for the near future. Okay Brown isn't a lock but I'd be surprised if he isn't on the team in the next year or two.

Leivo should be on the team right now.

He is better than Grabner, Spaling, Froese.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Maybe next year (we deal Winnik/Spaling) a Leivo/Nylander/Panik audition for the 3rd line is in order.
Like how Tampa brought up Palat/Johnson/Kucherov.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Yes, and no.

I think that Leivo got out-played in training camp and was not all that spectacular like last season. However, he's finally starting to put up a healthy amount of point in the AHL and avoiding injury. In that regard of recent performance he is definitely ready to make the jump.

It's likely that once the 1-year deals are traded away I think that Leivo will see a stint with the Leafs. He needs to stay consistent in order to get that opportunity. By making these kid's wait for their opportunity you instill a seize the moment attitude. If you don't perform in your sample size chances are you aren't going to make the jump

Froese isn't half the prospect Leivo is at the end of the day. The good parts about Froese game allow him to play bottom 6 minutes, kinda like a Josh Jooris type. There's no benefit in allowing a prospect like Leivo to rot on the 4th line like all the players listed above. Ice-time is more valuable to the Leivo as he looks to lead the Marlies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This kid is looking fantastic. One of the more underrated prospects on the Leaf board.

Definitely deserves a call-up, he's NHL ready without a doubt.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Yes, and no.

I think that Leivo got out-played in training camp and was not all that spectacular like last season. However, he's finally starting to put up a healthy amount of point in the AHL and avoiding injury. In that regard of recent performance he is definitely ready to make the jump.

It's likely that once the 1-year deals are traded away I think that Leivo will see a stint with the Leafs. He needs to stay consistent in order to get that opportunity. By making these kid's wait for their opportunity you instill a seize the moment attitude. If you don't perform in your sample size chances are you aren't going to make the jump

Froese isn't half the prospect Leivo is at the end of the day. The good parts about Froese game allow him to play bottom 6 minutes, kinda like a Josh Jooris type. There's no benefit in allowing a prospect like Leivo to rot on the 4th line like all the players listed above. Ice-time is more valuable to the Leivo as he looks to lead the Marlies.

Made me smile.., would be awesome if Froese turned out like him.

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
This kid is looking fantastic. One of the more underrated prospects on the Leaf board.

Definitely deserves a call-up, he's NHL ready without a doubt.

He'll be up post deadline. I honestly think he gets the call before Nylander if it happens this year.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
I think Leivo may get a short look-see towards the end of the year, just to gauge where he is at vis-a-vis NHL competition, and then be back with the Marlies for their Playoff push.

From what I have seen & read, he is also not waiver-exempt beginning next year (ELC @ 20 yrs old, 160 games or 3 yrs exemption applies)

For that reason, I believe he'll be on the roster beginning next year and be given a good opportunity to solidify some sort of role with the Leafs.

Unlike a guy like Panik/Arcobello, I can see a few NHL teams having some interest if he were to hit the waiver-wire.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Leivo right now is our own version of Panik. If he doesn't make it next year, which he should, then some bottom dweller will take a shot at him and see what he amounts to. All in all, he seems like he could be a solid 3rd liner for us moving forward, but doubt with our future depth that he sees any time other than on the 4th.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm a big fan of his, thought he looked great in his short stints with the Leafs last year and the year before, and he's playing better than ever in the AHL. Great hustle, good shot, good hands, good skater, good size, just a solid player. I feel like he should be given a shot on the 3rd line, didn't look far off a 3rd liner before in his NHL stints, and seems to have improved since then. Also, I do think he has 2nd line upside, he's only 22 and has a well rounded game with a good amount of skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad