News Article: Josh Cooper (from puck daddy) can **** right off

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Yes, because most people complain about the content on web sites they don't use... /boggle. :p

There's a link to the website in the first post. If you click the link it takes you to the cite. From there a cursory examination reveals content that is sensationalist at best and fabricated at worst.

Last edited by a moderator:

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I live in NC and before the season started 99.9 the Fan was giving away season tickets to the hurricanes. It wasn't a massive contest, it was a simple call in. Two callers had to imitate their announcer. Best one (picked by the radio hosts) won season tickets. They did this at least 4 times! That's 8 season tickets basically given away for nothing.

Basically the Hurricanes can't get people into that building so they have to give tickets away. Come that would NEVER happen in Edmonton or Buffalo. I can't speak about Arizona but I can guess. If you had a season ticket competition in Buffalo or Edmonton, there would be hundreds if not thousands of entries. The Sabres are god awful and they still fill their arena night after night. However, we don't want Connor McDavid or Jack Eickel to play in real hockey markets.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Bps21*

Dude...Gilbert Perreault played here 30-45 years ago. Calm down. We don't deserve anything as a result. God knows we don't get anything...so that actually adds up.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Buffalo sports fan inferiority complex. It's a blog. Who cares.

I don't like the whole inferiority complex talk either. Yes, people from a city that is constantly bashed defend their city.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We kind of got lucky with how many 1st round picks we received. I think moving forward we'll see teams, especially those that look to be outside the playoffs, more hesitant to trade off that 1st rounder when they have better odds of drafting lower than where they are. Also, the amount we received in these past 4 drafts(including this year) we have/had 8 first round picks. Not many teams would be able to receive that many let alone the amount of 2nds we received in these 4 years as well (9 2nd round picks).

Then the factor of the team management and ownership. Our owner is WILLING to bite the bullet for a few years of terrible hockey, because A) he can afford it B) he has a fan base willing to bite the bullet as well.

There was no luck involved. The amount of picks we've had and will have going forward in the 1st and 2nd rounds was by design. Black, Regier and Murray have all commented on it being part of the plan and why its so important to have that many picks in the 1st and 2nd round.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There was no luck involved. The amount of picks we've had and will have going forward in the 1st and 2nd rounds was by design. Black, Regier and Murray have all commented on it being part of the plan and why its so important to have that many picks in the 1st and 2nd round.

I think "Lucky" was the wrong term. It's more like it was the perfect storm for getting so many 1st round picks, where I think you will see going forward teams reluctant for giving up those 1st round picks.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Chicago sucked for ever and Pittsburgh? They went from Lemiuex, Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, etc, etc to Dick Tarnstrom. They rebuilt through the draft by being as horrible as you can possibly be. They did exactly what we're doing now.

No they didn't.

Pittsburgh didn't build a crappy team on purpose. They tore down a pretty good team and iced garbage rosters because they were hemorrhaging money and could't afford to do anything else. They basically limped along as a franchise in the years leading up to the lockout. The were very close to relocating. They then got Sidney Crosby by pure luck winning a draft lottery. And the way the NHL set up that lottery the Pens weren't rewarded for being as bad as they were in the way a typical draft lottery would reward a bottom dweller. Only missing the playoffs in the 4 years prior to the draft were used to determine how high a team was in the draft order. Which meant the Pens odds of getting Crosby ended up the same as ours, Columbus and the Rangers. I think it was roughly 9%. Compared to the 20% now or the 25% in the year prior in a typical draft lottery.

The Hawks never tried to ice the absolutely worst team in the league. They also got one of their core superstars via draft lottery luck. They were 16pts above last place and slotted to pick 5th overall when they won the draft lottery and got Kane.

Neither the Pens or the Hawks set about to intentionally ice the very worst teams in the league in order to draft at the top of the draft. And the both were incredibly lucky to land superstars they did. Players that they wouldn't have won a Cup without.

We iced epically bad teams last year and this year with the intention of finishing last and guaranteeing a top 2 pick. Basically trying to remove as much luck from the scenario as possible. Neither the Hawks nor the Pens were this calculating or planned things in this manner.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No they didn't.

Pittsburgh didn't build a crappy team on purpose. They tore down a pretty good team and iced garbage rosters because they were hemorrhaging money and could't afford to do anything else. They basically limped along as a franchise in the years leading up to the lockout. The were very close to relocating. They then got Sidney Crosby by pure luck winning a draft lottery. And the way the NHL set up that lottery the Pens weren't rewarded for being as bad as they were in the way a typical draft lottery would reward a bottom dweller. Only missing the playoffs in the 4 years prior to the draft were used to determine how high a team was in the draft order. Which meant the Pens odds of getting Crosby ended up the same as ours, Columbus and the Rangers. I think it was roughly 9%. Compared to the 20% now or the 25% in the year prior in a typical draft lottery.

The Hawks never tried to ice the absolutely worst team in the league. They also got one of their core superstars via draft lottery luck. They were 16pts above last place and slotted to pick 5th overall when they won the draft lottery and got Kane.

Neither the Pens or the Hawks set about to intentionally ice the very worst teams in the league in order to draft at the top of the draft. And the both were incredibly lucky to land superstars they did. Players that they wouldn't have won a Cup without.

We iced epically bad teams last year and this year with the intention of finishing last and guaranteeing a top 2 pick. Basically trying to remove as much luck from the scenario as possible. Neither the Hawks nor the Pens were this calculating or planned things in this manner.

Do you ever get tired of typing that? :laugh:
(i remember when it was part of the "team's don't intentionally tank" diatribe)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I don't see why sabres fans are getting so upset over this article. IT isn't anything a sabres fan hasn't said about Toronto. Just a person's opinion

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think "Lucky" was the wrong term. It's more like it was the perfect storm for getting so many 1st round picks, where I think you will see going forward teams reluctant for giving up those 1st round picks.

I've wondered about that.

How much will the new system, with the top 3 picks chosen by lottery, impact trading 1st rounders. I can't imagine a team will care if they need a piece for a Cup run. Primarily because a team like that isn't likely to be out of the playoffs. But it may make teams on the fringe think twice.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Basically the Hurricanes can't get people into that building so they have to give tickets away. Come that would NEVER happen in Edmonton or Buffalo. I can't speak about Arizona but I can guess. If you had a season ticket competition in Buffalo or Edmonton, there would be hundreds if not thousands of entries. The Sabres are god awful and they still fill their arena night after night. However, we don't want Connor McDavid or Jack Eickel to play in real hockey markets.

Are you freaking kidding me?

As an outsider with really no horse in this race, I think that's sort of his point (although worded poorly). You'll fill your building and will be viable with or without one of these kids. Whereas in a struggling market, they could be the lifeblood injection they need to jumpstart things.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
As an outsider with really no horse in this race, I think that's sort of his point (although worded poorly). You'll fill your building and will be viable with or without one of these kids. Whereas in a struggling market, they could be the lifeblood injection they need to jumpstart things.

So the city that shouldn't have hockey in it in the first place is more "deserving" of a star player because they need him in order to generate fan interest? That's some terrible logic. What happens if they get a McDavid and still can't fill the building?

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
So the city that shouldn't have hockey in it in the first place is more "deserving" of a star player because they need him in order to generate fan interest? That's some terrible logic. What happens if they get a McDavid and still can't fill the building?

If you're going in assuming that to be fact off the bat, it's going to be difficult to have any kind of serious discussion on the topic. "The city" and it's topography arent the issue with that team. It was the ownership (or lack thereof) and the lack of any tangible success which has been their downfall since they moved.

It's not exactly rocket science to think that adding a star player into a fledgling market is going to help generate fan interest. Hell, the entire sunbelt expansion of the NHL was a result of that happening.

If they get a star like McDavid, who actually pans out, and still aren't able to sell it, then I guess he moves with them to whatever new city they'll call home in 2018?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I would say trying to land as many picks in the top two rounds is the more likely part of what we've done too get replicated. Not that teams won't bottom out. But trying to ice the worst team possible isn't going to net you the same type of reward as we could potentially get. We basically have the perfect storm of things going our way to bottom out when we did. If we finish last we are guaranteed a franchise level player. Thats not going to the case going forward since finishing last means you can pick anywhere from 1st to 4th.

Going max for picks is what I meant, McDavid was never the focus of this to me. Just lucky the timing worked. i think the process of collecting that many picks will make you suck but getting a McEichel is just extra.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If you're going in assuming that to be fact off the bat, it's going to be difficult to have any kind of serious discussion on the topic. "The city" and it's topography arent the issue with that team. It was the ownership (or lack thereof) and the lack of any tangible success which has been their downfall since they moved.

It's not exactly rocket science to think that adding a star player into a fledgling market is going to help generate fan interest. Hell, the entire sunbelt expansion of the NHL was a result of that happening.

If they get a star like McDavid, who actually pans out, and still aren't able to sell it, then I guess he moves with them to whatever new city they'll call home in 2018?

They've won a cup since moving to Carolina, how is that not tangible success? The team HAS been successful and still lacked fan support. No team is going to be a winning franchise for its entire life, so if that's what it takes for a successful team in a place like Carolina, it's not feasible.

And come on, fledgling market? They've been there since 1997.

The area IS the problem with that franchise, not ownership or lack of team success.

Bps21*

They never had Gilbert Perreault 30+ years ago so they should be handed everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad