Confirmed with Link: Jordan Staal and the Canes finalizing a 4 year/$2.9M AAV extension.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not that I know of. I have thought that's some newfanglish silly thinking in lines of Crosby, McDavid that the 1C should also be the captain. Matthews was become one for TOR until the captain underpants incident. Maybe it's a trick to try and make them stay forever as a franchise player.

Can't say for sure but I'd like to think in Finland the captaincy is understood to rather belong to a respected elder statesman type than to some young point hog.

##Finnmedia confirms Aho is point hog!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
We have among the highest percentage of high danger chances in the league. We need natural finishers. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
High danger according to who and by what standard? Those metrics are generally about shot distance. Shot distance predicts the danger of a chance far less reliably than how much and how quickly the puck moves laterally before the shot- but that requires analysts watching every shot (and there are firms providing those numbers for $$) or puck tracking data, which teams have and the public does not. The public metrics only use shot distance, occasionally shot angle as well.

Count me skeptical that we're actually generating a lot of genuinely high danger chances rather than stuffing a lot of pucks against the pad of an already set goalie. Short range yes, but not high danger. The higher danger chance on those plays is to feed it to a guy muscling their way into the slot. Longer range chance, but forces the goalie to move. According to public shot quality metrics, a lower danger chance.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
High danger according to who and by what standard? Those metrics are generally about shot distance. Shot distance predicts the danger of a chance far less reliably than how much and how quickly the puck moves laterally before the shot- but that requires analysts watching every shot (and there are firms providing those numbers for $$) or puck tracking data, which teams have and the public does not. The public metrics only use shot distance, occasionally shot angle as well.

Count me skeptical that we're actually generating a lot of genuinely high danger chances rather than stuffing a lot of pucks against the pad of an already set goalie. Short range yes, but not high danger. The higher danger chance on those plays is to feed it to a guy muscling their way into the slot. Longer range chance, but forces the goalie to move. According to public shot quality metrics, a lower danger chance.
Even if you accept that idea that high danger scoring chances aren't a perfect metric, you must still accept that the Canes 5v5 results in goal differential are absolutely exceptional. Again: significantly changing the style of 5v5 is just as likely to weaken those results as it is to improve them.

So let's assume that you're right, and the true high danger chances are driven by puck movement. Where are you most likely to get good puck movement without giving up rushes the other way? The power play. Which is clearly what the Borg has decided as well by going back to TDA, who excels at exactly one thing: puck movement on the PP.

Better finishers, better puck movement on the PP. The 5v5 system is fine.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone who really thinks Rod will EVER make this guy a 4th liner, hasn't been paying attention.
Ok with the money but that term....woof.
I don't know. A couple of years ago, people said that Rod would never take him off the 2nd line and would never take him off the PP, yet that happened.

Staal was our 2nd best center last season and Rod played him on the 3rd line with a couple of grinders (Martinook and Fast) and they were arguably, our best 5v5 line. KK got way easier matchups, more offensive zone starts, and better line mates and Staal still outscored him 5v5 and was just plain better. Staal was better in the playoffs as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Burns is physical specimen. While staal is still effective he had slowed down each of the last 3 years and it will only get worse. He will be a 4C as early as 24-25 and now we have a 3 million 4c for another 3 seasons. We need to improve our top 6 / top 9
IIRC didn't Staal come into camp the fittest of all players two years ago? And it was Svech last year?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
They took advantage of him being 34 and 10 months old and not 35. They will front load the deal and he will retire after 2 years, if he gets bad. Essentially paying him like 4.5m cash for each of 2 years, and getting a 2.9m cap.

Year 1. 3.45m
Year 2. 3.41m
Year 3. 2.65m
Year 4. 775k with a 1.315m signing bonus.

So it seems like this is a 3 year deal where he will collect the signing bonus for year 4 then retire. Thus the actual contract is 3 years x 3.6m

Using the fact he is right under 35 for cap circumvention. Smart!

I think this guy who posted over in the mb forum mostly nailed it. I can see the biggest issue between Staal and the Borg being term. Borg thinks 4 years is just too risky, Staal thinks he can probably contribute for that long.

Someone comes up with the idea of structuring the contract this way with the understanding that if Staal's game does degrade he'll retire (no cap penalty). Staal is a player I could see the organization having enough trust in to risk a handshake agreement of that sort. So if Staal plays for 3 years he gets paid at $3.6m but the cap hit is only $2.9m. Win win.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That's why I think it's genuinely impressive he even got the recognition of fourth. His best finish in over ten years and he was the same old Jordan with no more offense.
I mean its absolutely ridiculous at this point how little the NHL as a league values defensive play. Last night seeing the Norris go to a guy who scores a lot of points but borderline sucks at actual defense was absurd. But at the same time, its very much helping us exploit that perception gap in the market when it comes to our roster makeup and contract value.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I mean its absolutely ridiculous at this point how little the NHL as a league values defensive play. Last night seeing the Norris go to a guy who scores a lot of points but borderline sucks at actual defense was absurd. But at the same time, its very much helping us exploit that perception gap in the market when it comes to our roster makeup and contract value.
NHL is just following the trend of every other league. Other leagues have very little care for defense and have changed the rules over the last 20 years to increase offense. Scoring sells tickets. Scoring is the value

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Normally I’d agree if it were close, but Karlsson had one less even strength point than McDavid. That’s just incredible. The 7th most ever by a defenseman.

He had 101 points on a team that scored 233 goals. As a defenseman. Complete insanity.

Those are video game numbers you just can’t ignore.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
We have among the highest percentage of high danger chances in the league. We need natural finishers. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
Apparently because the misinformed narrative about being a first option chip-n-chase system was either repeated enough to make some believe in it or some are just unwilling to admit mistakes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Normally I’d agree if it were close, but Karlsson had one less even strength point than McDavid. That’s just incredible. The 7th most ever by a defenseman.

He had 101 points on a team that scored 233 goals. As a defenseman. Complete insanity.

Those are video game numbers you just can’t ignore.
Yeah but at the same time he sucks at actual DEFENSIVE responsibilities. In fact, you could argue he's sacrificing his ability to play defense in order to sell out and get more points. On a team that sucked miserably this year.

There absolutely should be an award for best offensive player from the blue line, but it isn't best defenseman.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yeah but at the same time he sucks at actual DEFENSIVE responsibilities. In fact, you could argue he's sacrificing his ability to play defense in order to sell out and get more points. On a team that sucked miserably this year.

There absolutely should be an award for best offensive player from the blue line, but it isn't best defenseman.
Hmmm...that's only partially true. Yes, he's small so he loses more puck and physical battles than you'd like and his gap control can be inconsistent. But he actually blocks more shots than you'd think (about the same rate as Burns), uses his stick on D very well, is superb at loose puck retrievals and outlet passes from the DZ.

His D is not stellar overall but the all-too-common knee-jerk reaction to his defensive play rarely accounts for the multi-faceted responsibilities of a blueliner.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He just doesn't generate enough offense to win the best defensive award
It pisses me off more than it should that something that is supposed to be "awarded annually to the National Hockey League forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game" really goes to the "best 2 way forward" and even then it's extremely political and influenced by big names/markets.

If there was any integrity behind the voting consistent with the actual meaning of the award, Staal would have more wins than anyone the last 5+ years or so. Bergeron has been a much better player than Staal obviously no argument, but Staal is flat out better defensively. If the Selke was "best 2 way forward" ok I get it, Staal is not that. But it's "best defensive forward" and that is what Staal has been and proven in the regular season and playoffs the last several years.

But whatever

Reactions: cptjeff

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
If there was any integrity behind the voting consistent with the actual meaning of the award, Staal would have more wins than anyone the last 5+ years or so. Bergeron has been a much better player than Staal obviously no argument, but Staal is flat out better defensively. If the Selke was "best 2 way forward" ok I get it, Staal is not that. But it's "best defensive forward" and that is what Staal has been and proven in the regular season and playoffs the last several years.

But whatever
Even as a Canes fan, these comments puzzle me. How specifically is Staal "flat out better defensively" than Bergeron?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad