Confirmed with Link: Jordan Schmaltz Traded for Andreas Borgman

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh

Decent bit of skill there, IDK why people are saying this is a downgrade, I view it as a wash in the worst case. We could use a young physical LHD prospect and Schmaltz was never going to crack the RHD.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Decent bit of skill there, IDK why people are saying this is a downgrade, I view it as a wash in the worst case. We could use a young physical LHD prospect and Schmaltz was never going to crack the RHD.

That video is from the AHL. Schmaltz dominated the AHL too (aside from last year when he just didn't seem to care after being waived). The question is whether either can be a regular NHL guy.

I don't know about this trade. It seems like s a Lefty-Righty swap to try to give each guy a clearer path. That makes a certain bit of sense. With Muzzin and Rielley, there weren't many LHD minutes in Toronto and likewise in StL with Pie and Parry on the right. Still, while we are strong on the right, we are thin. We have Pietrangelo, Parayko and Bortuzzo. But then its Reinke and Dotchin or someone on their off-hand if one of them gets hurt. Unlessone took a step up, I'd rather have Schmaltz than one of those guys or any other prospect on their off-hand. Maybe Schmaltz just wanted out and we couldn't get a worthwhile RHD? I dunno. No big deal either way, but strange barring another move or trade demand.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
That video is from the AHL. Schmaltz dominated the AHL too (aside from last year when he just didn't seem to care after being waived). The question is whether either can be a regular NHL guy.

cpt.jpg

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
That's a pretty huge downgrade. Not sure why Army did this other than to save the dollars from burying Schmaltz in the minors.

I don't know if I would say that...Borgman has been stuck behind our wall of LHD for quite a while now...he plays bigger than he is and he's strong as an ox...if his injury problems clear up he could potentially be a #2-3 LHD (only considering LHD not the rest of your insane D corps) for you guys in the not too distant future...Schmaltz is the wildcard in this trade for me as a Leaf fan...most of us had Borgman pencilled in the #5 spot to start the season on the left side for us...if he grows with you guys you may just have a steal on your hands

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I was definitely someone who was hopeful for Schmaltz for too long, he always looked good when training camp started, but he always ended up tapering off before the season started. He's a tweener at best, but generally seems to wilt under the pressure of an NHL game.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Borgy was a stud for 3/4 of a season that included an injured Reilly , he is reported to have stood up for a teammate in the room against Egocock and that was it down he went where he got concussed pretty quickly .He will be a great addition to the Blues blueline once he gets the injuries behind him .

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Not really. Injuries happen and they can adequately fill in in the NHL.
I agree. Our depth on D is not stellar, but certainly is safe.

Wish we coulda kept MDZ because he is the perfect 8th D.

I can see Mikkola spending most of the season in the AHL where he should continue his development. Reinke might be the one to make the roster out of camp.

Borgman? Largely an unknown for me except that he is capable and safe.

Reactions: 67Blues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree. Our depth on D is not stellar, but certainly is safe.

Wish we coulda kept MDZ because he is the perfect 8th D.

I can see Mikkola spending most of the season in the AHL where he should continue his development. Reinke might be the one to make the roster out of camp.

Borgman? Largely an unknown for me except that he is capable and safe.
I think Reinke, Borgman, Pouliot and Dotchin are all just fine #8-9 d-men. I like our depth there.

If Mikkola impresses, we have 5 guys we could potentially call up. I don’t think we’ve ever had that many.

Reactions: TK 421 and Blueston

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

He doesn't want to pass....

Lol

Nice goal

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think Reinke, Borgman, Pouliot and Dotchin are all just fine #8-9 d-men. I like our depth there.

If Mikkola impresses, we have 5 guys we could potentially call up. I don’t think we’ve ever had that many.

This is my thought as well. Pouliot and Dotchin have plenty of NHL experience, Borgman seems intriguing and Reinke and Mikkola are two prospects that could be NHL ready as well. Plenty of good depth D options!

...remember when Walman was apparently the next big thing and close to NHL ready a couple years ago? :eek: Now he’s pretty buried behind a number of guys.

Reactions: TK 421 and Blueston

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

Agreed. Also have Kyrou, Kostin, Nolan, Poganski, Walker and Lappin as #15-20 forwards. Excellent AHL depth.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We're punching well above our weight at the draft table under BA and we've done it while coughing up 1sts here and there. Sure they've had a few head scratchers but this is an amateur staff that's made Doug's job much easier in general by identifying future pros outside the 1st.

I'm loving the defense depth added because when you look at that group they all have NHL experience to one degree or another. We had great depth on our Cup run and it still almost wasn't enough(Dunn, Gunnarson), so I'm happy that Doug and the pro scouts identified the need and further strengthened us for another shot.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Best deal we were going to get, simple as that. Army must see a diamond in the rough here and usually we win these kinds of trades, so...

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We're punching well above our weight at the draft table under BA and we've done it while coughing up 1sts here and there. Sure they've had a few head scratchers but this is an amateur staff that's made Doug's job much easier in general by identifying future pros outside the 1st.

I'm loving the defense depth added because when you look at that group they all have NHL experience to one degree or another. We had great depth on our Cup run and it still almost wasn't enough(Dunn, Gunnarson), so I'm happy that Doug and the pro scouts identified the need and further strengthened us for another shot.

Bingo

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
We're all biased here to some degree but the depth the Blues have achieved is impressive.

There's a rich pipeline - hoping to have another great draft this year. Would like to add another first-round pick.

It's important Drew Bannister and his staff coach these guys up in San Antonio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad