Player Discussion Jordan Eberle

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the key to having a guy like Eberle is understanding he's going to be your 4th or 5th best forward.

If you are asking him to "carry" the franchise or be the no.2/3 guy, like the Oilers have been the last 5 years, you're not going to be a good team.

He's never going to be the driver on this team, he's a good-to-very good complimentary player.

That said it's hard to ignore one other fact -- he's the best pure finisher on this team.

We can't afford to lose the 25-30 goals/season he brings to the table. Goals are precious in the modern NHL, and despite all of "offensive talent" we struggle with finishing. None of our players has a high end release like Eberle does, Yakupov shoots hard but usually right into the goalie's crest.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Yep to the above about needing his shot and finish. All this is leading to an eventual RNH trade if we do trade one of our major offensive players for defensemen. I'd trade our 1st round pick and Yak first if we could though.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hall-Drai

Eberle-McDavid

Those are the pairs to build around.

A full year of Eberle with McDavid would be something.

Nuge and Yak should be dangled.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'd say try nuge and yak when nuge is back. Man if they click. Hello 3 scoring lines

If you think Dallas can outscore their D issues, wait till oil show up

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'd say try nuge and yak when nuge is back. Man if they click. Hello 3 scoring lines

If this continues the way it has it will certainly make Nuge and Yak expendable.

Ebs is on fire atm. Although his contract is too short and too high to be the long term solution on the team.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Nuge doesn't click with anyone. Might as well have him pad his stats on a line with McDavid so that his value goes up before he inevitably gets traded.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Nuge doesn't click with anyone. Might as well have him pad his stats on a line with McDavid so that his value goes up before he inevitably gets traded.

It's not just Nuge that doesn't click with anyone, either does Yakupov. That would be a train wreck of a line. Both need to be shipped out for some help on the backend.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Nuge does well with most.

He was outstanding this year between Hall and Leon for a couple games.

But our top 6 is jamming and I really want to keep this team getting bigger and stronger. So at least one of Nuge, Yak, and Ebs is gone this summer... If McD, Leon, Poo, and Hall continue to dominate.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

But our top 6 is jamming and I really want to keep this team getting bigger and stronger. So at least one of Nuge, Yak, and Ebs is gone this summer... If McD, Leon, Poo, and Hall continue to dominate.

That should be the core going forward, McJesus, Hall and Drai. I part with Nurse and Klef if the price is right, no question.

I think they'll movie 2 of Eberle, Yak and Nuge. Personally I don't mind who goes, and it's wonderful to see boost his value playing with 97. If they end up thinking he should stay, I'm perfectly okay with it, as long as he continues to produce. If he stays though, Yak and RNH should both be gone.

It's all fine and dandy when they're beating crappy teams, but once these guys are really trying to get over the hump, playing tough, meaningful games against bigger, better teams, I don't trust RNH or Ebs to get the job done.

Yak at such a cheap cap hit is a good value contract to have IMO.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

What I mean is that Nuge needs a driver on his line. The Oilers have three of them as far as I'm concerned: Hall, Drai, and McDavid. Any other forward on the team needs to play with at least one of those guys to consistently produce.

Eberle was pretty poor with RNH. Yak also hasn't been able to produce without McDavid. Pouliot and Purcell are complimentary players as well. RNH is like those guys and needs someone to dictate the pace and possession since he's not capable of it.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
What I mean is that Nuge needs a driver on his line. The Oilers have three of them as far as I'm concerned: Hall, Drai, and McDavid. Any other forward on the team needs to play with at least one of those guys to consistently produce.

Eberle was pretty poor with RNH. Yak also hasn't been able to produce without McDavid. Pouliot and Purcell are complimentary players as well. RNH is like those guys and needs someone to dictate the pace and possession since he's not capable of it.

Last year RNH, Eberle, Pouliot were one of the best lines in the NHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Ebs-rnh were hottest line in NHL last season from Jan on

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
And this year they sucked...so how good they really are is anyone's guess.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Kassian-nuge-yak as a third line would be amazing.

Could pump up trade value of both nuge and yak for the off season blockbuster deal for a D

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Kassian-nuge-yak as a third line would be amazing.

Could pump up trade value of both nuge and yak for the off season blockbuster deal for a D

Yes please to this. I have a feeling thats be a good line

It'd be a dream if Davidson, nurse and Reinhart could all develop a ton over next 30 games and we could keep all the forwards and just land a D with our 1st and 2nd.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
If Eberle and McDavid keep up the great chemistry together then Eberle might be an Oiler for a long time instead of being traded.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If Eberle and McDavid keep up the great chemistry together then Eberle might be an Oiler for a long time instead of being traded.

And I think many are fine with that. The reason most are open to trading him is that Yak is cheaper and doesn't have much value to return an impact D. If Eberle is going to be a 35-40 goal scorer who's ppg then by all means keep him and try to address the D with Nuge/Yak/Prospect/Picks/Free agency.

Hell if Vatanen is still unsigned come summer then go offer sheet him if you have to.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Ebs-rnh were hottest line in NHL last season from Jan on

its not really a matter of how good anyone is. it's a a matter of: we need at least 1 (and preferably 2) quality D MORE than we need 3 scoring lines and a spare 2C.

IF it is possible to acquire said D without trading RNH or the 1st round pick (or Ebs to a lesser likelihood), then that is the best case scenario, tho, I am skeptical this can be done.

and this is where a lot of these RNH arguments arise. I believe many RNH supporters believe the desire to trade him means one thinks he is not a good player. Not true. Au contraire, we want to trade him because he is a good player. We can trade him and replace him with a true 3C, which can be acquired with lesser assets or just signed.

Last edited:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
its not really a matter of how good anyone is. it's a a matter of: we need at least 1 (and preferably 2) quality D MORE than we need 3 scoring lines and a spare 2C.

IF it is possible to acquire said D without trading RNH or the 1st round pick (or Ebs to a lesser likelihood), then that is the best case scenario, tho, I am skeptical this can be done.

Honestly, I think it's more likely to acquire that D with a lesser package than with RNH because anyone moving that kind of player are likely doing so because of money reasons and won't want a pile of salary back. Cap space is more important than player value these days, it seems.

and this is where a lot of these RNH arguments arise. I believe many RNH supporters believe the desire to trade him means one thinks he is not a good player. Not true. Au contraire, we want to trade him because he is a good player.

I thought he was "average" "mediocre" and "weak". At least that's what I read here somewhere...

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Honestly, I think it's more likely to acquire that D with a lesser package than with RNH because anyone moving that kind of player are likely doing so because of money reasons and won't want a pile of salary back. Cap space is more important than player value these days, it seems.

Possibly but you have to be ready to act when the chance comes and not dither it away. We missed out on Hamilton and he started slow this season but look at the stats now and he's outscoring all of our d. Sure they wanted Nurse and we obviously wouldnt have given him up but the first, Yakupov and a 2nd would have been a better return than what they got. I think there was wiggle room to get something done and when a chance like that comes up we've got to be ready to pounce and get it done. Reinhart may develop into a decent defender but he's not going to be a solid #1 or at all an offensive guy.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

possibly

I thought he was "average" "mediocre" and "weak". At least that's what I read here somewhere...

sigh :(

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Seeing as Eberle scores like 80% of his goals from the left side, why not give

Eberle - McDavid - Yak

a try? McDavid skates the puck up with a lethal one timer on either side. 2 guys on their off wing might be not so good defensively, but it could be fun to watch on offense.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Last year RNH, Eberle, Pouliot were one of the best lines in the NHL.

Not really. Line caught fire in March with the season over. Nuge had 17 of his pts in one month. Only 38 prior to that.

Last year at this time the same questions were being asked of Nuge as this year.

Really evident how much better service we now have with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Not really. Line caught fire in March with the season over. Nuge had 17 of his pts in one month. Only 38 prior to that.

Last year at this time the same questions were being asked of Nuge as this year.

Really evident how much better service we now have with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Playing for Eakins, i believe he was our leading scorer before his outburst. Hall wasn't scoring at his usual pace either, Eakins killed offense. Hopkins was named team MVP on these boards and iirc at the team awards. He was also selected to play in the All Star game due to his play. He had a good year last year in brutal circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad