Player Discussion: Jordan Dumais, 96th overall, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
He has an interesting highlight reel and obviously eye-popping stats. Seems like a pretty raw, cerebral player without good physical measurables. Absolutely worth taking someone that deep into the 3rd round that can put up numbers like that (3rd highest scorer in Q)

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Crazy that a draft year 109 point scorer dropped to pick #96. Went through some previous QMJHL seasons to find some draft year comparisons.

Laf - 2.15 ppg
Drouin - 2.14 ppg
MacKinnon - 1.71 ppg
Ehlers - 1.65 ppg
Dumais - 1.60 ppg
PLD - 1.60 ppg
Hischier - 1.51 ppg
Abramov - 1.48 ppg
Bourque - 1.45 ppg
Beauvillier - 1.40 ppg

On a quick search, it looks like Abramov is basically the only player in last 10 years with relatively similar draft year production that hasnt turned into a top 6 forward (excluding Bourque who is still only 20)

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Crazy that a draft year 109 point scorer dropped to pick #96. Went through some previous QMJHL seasons to find some draft year comparisons.

Laf - 2.15 ppg
Drouin - 2.14 ppg
MacKinnon - 1.71 ppg
Ehlers - 1.65 ppg
Dumais - 1.60 ppg
PLD - 1.60 ppg
Hischier - 1.51 ppg
Abramov - 1.48 ppg
Bourque - 1.45 ppg
Beauvillier - 1.40 ppg

On a quick search, it looks like Abramov is basically the only player in last 10 years with relatively similar draft year production that hasnt turned into a top 6 forward (excluding Bourque who is still only 20)

Yes and unfortunately Abramov is his closest comparable in terms of size and production. A bit of playstyle too, but I gather that Abramov is a better skater and Dumais relies more on hands.

Nonetheless, I see a path forward for Dumais. Get this guy posters of MSL and Marchand and tell him that is what his body needs to look like if he's going to make it to the NHL. Hope you like doing squats kid!

pled

Sep 7, 2009
This guy will do 50 next season. I was honestly surprised he was still available. and even if he can't do the same pace at nhl level he will try.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Led all (first year) 2022 draft eligible CHL players in goals (41) assists (74) points (115), points per game (1.60) while playing for one of the youngest teams in the QMJHL/CHL. | 109 points in the regular season and 6 in the post season |

One helluva 17 year old season

Reactions: I3LI3

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
This is about as exciting as 3rd round pick can be. It would only get better if I see an interview of the kid and realize he hasn't got his man voice yet :D

Seriously though, might not amount to anything, probably won't, but could be the Brayden Point / Sebastian Aho of the draft.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is about as exciting as 3rd round pick can be. It would only get better if I see an interview of the kid and realize he hasn't got his man voice yet :D

Seriously though, might not amount to anything, probably won't, but could be the Brayden Point / Sebastian Aho of the draft.
He has a media availability after the pick although... You won't get much out of it if you can't speak French..

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I have no problem betting on a cerebral, productive player who needs physical development. Developing a player’s physique is a hell of a lot easier than teaching them how to skate or play hockey. It’s idiot proof. Get the kid some Mexican supplements and a personal chef and let’s win the cup.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
He has a media availability after the pick although... You won't get much out of it if you can't speak French..

I like the attitude and smirk on his face.

From the athletic, ap’s 7th day gatherings

He was ranked No. 72 among North American skaters at midseason, then slid to No. 73 despite his offensive output. Dumais fired back with a salty quote that quickly shot around the scouting community, telling Katherine Harvey-Pinard of La Presse: “These are not real scouts who make these lists. If they were really good scouts, they would work for an NHL team. These rankings, it’s been a long time since they made them, … but it doesn’t bother me too much. At the end of the day, only the draft matters.”

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad