Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Quick signed, 1y 825k + bonuses

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Feel bad for this guy because he wanted to play for his hometown team and he’s going to get booed into retirement. Dude is finito.
Nobody wants to go out when they're still productive. (Goalies especially) They will play and until career numbers take a hit and they're basically forced out of the league.

Had Quick had a solid year last season I could understand going in this direction for a 1 year deal, but he didn't, and it should have been retirement already.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
he makes himself way too small in net and drop too early.

Can he re-invent his game with Allaire? Will it take a few months to get the results?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
is there a known reason why we didn't offer Halak a contract? Or is he planning to retire or something?

On the surface, signing Quick and letting Halak walk is about the dumbest move you could possibly make with the season he had last year. But I imagine (and pray) there's more to it than that because surely no NHL GM could be that incompetent right..

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Let's not forget that Halak was garbage to start the season and then struggled at the close. It was basically a couple turds sandwiched around a 10-game stretch of good play.

This has nothing to do with Quick, BTW. Just a reminder that a 38-year-old Halak isn't necessarily going to be any better, given that he really wasn't particularly good last year.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
is there a known reason why we didn't offer Halak a contract? Or is he planning to retire or something?

On the surface, signing Quick and letting Halak walk is about the dumbest move you could possibly make with the season he had last year. But I imagine (and pray) there's more to it than that because surely no NHL GM could be that incompetent right..
Mike Milbury? ;)

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

Agree with this, and so did goalie expert Kevin Woodley when he was on NHL Network radio this summer. He cited Quick’s bad metrics and also gave a lot of technical reasons for those bad metrics that I don’t remember.

He also thought Halak was a better (albeit not perfect) option than Quick. He did not expect much out of Quick going forward.

Perhaps Drury is painted into a cap corner where watching every penny leads to decisions like this.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
It’s only preseason and he can still turn it around, but everything was pointing toward Quick being cooked prior to the signing. There had to be better bargain backups available. So one of a few things could have happened. It could be that our pro scouting was trash and didn’t pick up on what everyone else seemed to know. It could be that pro scouting knew he was done but Drury thought he knew better. It could be that they thought Allaire could resurrect his career.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's helped, and in some cases was a direct reason why, the team secure 9 points in his 5 starts. That's impeccable.

In general, if a backup goalie can get you 20 games and 20 points, I'm pretty happy. Yes I realize that's a low bar but that's my expectations. That would mean your starter is playing 62 games and hopefully getting you 80 points in those games for a team securing 100 points.

to put it in perspective, Halak started 24 games last year and helped the team with 25 points and he was a pretty resounding success as a backup.

In saying that, Quick has 9 already so even if he cools off, 20-25 points is well within reason for him which should be considered a very good signing by Drury.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
The comments in this thread during pre-season are kinda wild looking back haha. I was totally in camp washed as well but he's been stellar.

Also met him before a pre-season game and he was the nicest of any of the players. Signed for everyone, was making convo and someone even joked about 2014 and he apologized for it haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad