Prospect Info: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sweden will have their pick of NHL players who miss the playoffs, as well as the best of the litter from the SHL for May's World Championship.

Given the competition, there an absolutely 'zero chance' that Lekerimakki becomes 'one of their more important offensive players'. If they pick him, he'll be nothing more than a third or fourth liner, or maybe even just 'injury insurance' in the press-box.

I get the fact that every kid in Sweden who ever laced up skates wants to play for the national team one day. But comparing that experience with what Lekerimakki would gain by playing in Abbotsford, for the rest of the season, isn't really a matter of any debate.

Swedish NHLers have avoided this tournament like the plague for the past couple years.

For the record, here's their forward group at the 2023 WCs :

Jacob Silfverberg (NHL)
Lucas Raymond (NHL)
Carl Grundstrom (NHL)
Fabian Zetterlund (fringe NHL)
Jonathan Berggren (fringe NHL)
Alex Nylander (AHL)
Par Lindholm (SHL)
Denis Everberg (SHL)
Marcus Sorenson (Swiss)
Andre Pettersson (SHL)
Leo Carlsson (SHL)
Oscar Lindberg (Swiss)
Linus Johansson (SHL)
Denis Rasmussen (Swiss)
Jacob De La Rose (Swiss)

Basically 3 established NHL regulars on the team and a whole bunch of Euro journeymen. Grundstrom is a bottom-6 grinder who played that role in the WCs as well.

Leo Carlsson received top-6 minutes and put up 5 points in 8 games. Better prospect, but younger and coming off a less-impactful SHL season. So it's definitely not 'zero chance' he plays on the top 2 lines.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The reality is players that end up playing three or four years in the NCAA, weren't that high draft picks to begin with. And those who are high picks usually always leave early. So 'late bloomers' like McDonough, Sasson or McWard they can benefit from 'practicing' instead of 'playing'.

But Lekerimakki has already played a full season the Sweden's top professional league. And obviously he's going to be attending Canucks training camp in September. If he's doesn't come to Vancouver until then, he's coming into NA hockey absolutely 'cold turkey'.

So anything he can do to prepare himself for the grind of NA hockey on a smaller rink, will help him far more than practicing and playing pickup games for the next two months in Sweden. It's a 'no-brainer' really.
I never mentioned how long players who benefit from the NCAA schedule played there. There can be players that play only one or two NCAA seasons and then step into the NHL that still benefit from going that direction instead of taking the CHL or European route. Lekkerimaki is a small kid used to playing on big ice, he'll probably need at least some AHL time to adjust, but I think he may benefit from some extra strength training this season before we see him on the small NA rinks next season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Sure, if he makes it at all, they could start him there. or he might start lower, or he may have instant chemistry with one of their top centres and plays higher up. Who knows. Regardless of where he starts, his play will dictate his deployment and if the development curve continues to point up, I think he'll have a successful tournament.
I mean that is how Swedish and Finnish WC teams usually operate. Tenure matters.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I never mentioned how long players who benefit from the NCAA schedule played there. There can be players that play only one or two NCAA seasons and then step into the NHL that still benefit from going that direction instead of taking the CHL or European route. Lekkerimaki is a small kid used to playing on big ice, he'll probably need at least some AHL time to adjust, but I think he may benefit from some extra strength training this season before we see him on the small NA rinks next season.
We are all hoping that he finds chemistry with Petey. And they both could use 25 lbs. The major difference is one is 25 and the other is 19.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Swedish NHLers have avoided this tournament like the plague for the past couple years.

For the record, here's their forward group at the 2023 WCs :

Jacob Silfverberg (NHL)
Lucas Raymond (NHL)
Carl Grundstrom (NHL)
Fabian Zetterlund (fringe NHL)
Jonathan Berggren (fringe NHL)
Alex Nylander (AHL)
Par Lindholm (SHL)
Denis Everberg (SHL)
Marcus Sorenson (Swiss)
Andre Pettersson (SHL)
Leo Carlsson (SHL)
Oscar Lindberg (Swiss)
Linus Johansson (SHL)
Denis Rasmussen (Swiss)
Jacob De La Rose (Swiss)

Basically 3 established NHL regulars on the team and a whole bunch of Euro journeymen. Grundstrom is a bottom-6 grinder who played that role in the WCs as well.

Leo Carlsson received top-6 minutes and put up 5 points in 8 games. Better prospect, but younger and coming off a less-impactful SHL season. So it's definitely not 'zero chance' he plays on the top 2 lines.
I checked the tournament schedule from last year, and the 16 teams were divided into two groups, with each team playing a total of seven preliminary round games. This is followed by sudden-death quarterfinals, semis, and the final.

And some of these preliminary round games will be against teams like Poland, Kazakhstan, Norway, Latvia, and even Great Britain, who get into the tourney this year. Hardly hockey juggernauts. So even if Sweden were to go all the way to the finals, they'd only play a maximum of 11 games.

And while it may be a great 'cultural experience' to play in the World Championships, how can you possibly argue that it would be better for Lekkerimaki's pro hockey career than playing down the stretch in the AHL and some intense playoff games?

This thing is, if the comes to NA and after the Abbotsford Canucks are eliminated, he could still go back in late May to compete with Sweden in the World Hockey Championships, if he wanted to.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I checked the tournament schedule from last year, and the 16 teams were divided into two groups, with each team playing a total of seven preliminary round games. This is followed by sudden-death quarterfinals, semis, and the final.

And some of these preliminary round games will be against teams like Poland, Kazakhstan, Norway, Latvia, and even Great Britain, who get into the tourney this year. Hardly hockey juggernauts. So even if Sweden were to go all the way to the finals, they'd only play a maximum of 11 games.

And while it may be a great 'cultural experience' to play in the World Championships, how can you possibly argue that it would be better for Lekkerimaki's pro hockey career than playing down the stretch in the AHL and some intense playoff games?

This thing is, if the comes to NA and after the Abbotsford Canucks are eliminated, he could still go back in late May to compete with Sweden in the World Hockey Championships, if he wanted to.

I'm not arguing any of this. I'd prefer he came to NA.

I was arguing your post that there was 'zero chance' he played a key offensive role on a team loaded with NHLers.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So what’s the deal?
His season is over I’m guessing?

Don’t see his team on the schedule on the SHL website

He can be brought over for some AHL time now?

Note: haven’t been on abbotsford’s website in awhile, That may be the worst website I’ve ever seen on mobile, every link is a dead end.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
So what’s the deal?

Note: haven’t been on abbotsford’s website in awhile, That may be the worst website I’ve ever seen on mobile, every link is a dead end.
Season over. Waiting on his/PA decision whether to come over to Abby or to stay in Sweden for WC. Dhaliwal hinted that the preference is to stay put.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So what’s the deal?

Canucks Management are speaking with his camp, after being reached out to by team Sweden's upcoming Coach.

They're looking to determine what is best for his development. Come to North America and join Abbotsford or stay in Sweden to train for the World Championships, which are less than two months away.

Personally, I'm guessing he stays in Sweden, despite the fact I'd love to see him suit up for Abby and take in some Canucks atmosphere.

There's some goonery in the AHL, so last thing I also want is for him to get injured after such a positive season.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Interesting. Will he be on one of the rosters? Does he need to be to practice?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Unfortunately if he signs he burns a year of his ELC (turns 20 this calendar year), so I would assume that he's just going to hand around the club/team for a week and then head back.

EDIT: THIS IS ALL INCORRECT please see posts below

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
he's already signed. i am relatively certain the only way his contract doesn't slide another year is if he gets in 10 nhl games this season

Oh! I had totally forgotten that. He is absolutely eligible to play up to 9 games without us burning a year.

Wow, this changes everything LMAO.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It would be very exciting is he got in a game. Wouldn't be terribly surprised either way. I know this management team generally doesn't want to rush prospects, which may suggest he won't play, but they also seem to value testing players to see what they have (Bains, Pods), and in that sense, may play him a game. May also depend how the Canucks play, and more importantly, how the powerplay does.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm good either way

Would like to see some games in Abby selfishly but i get the feeling he's not gonna spend much if anytime in Abby and if he can get a top3 line spot secured for the Worlds and play some tough competition while training and getting stronger leading up to i like the prospect of him being healthy vs some crusade for a Calder Cup that ends with a shoulder injury or worse.

And before the counter argument i know it can happen at the Worlds too but lets be honest and think about odds..... he hasn't had any experience with smaller ice and what that looks like physically which could throw his timing enough to leave him vulnerable. It just takes once where normally he would have 6-8ft to the boards on a button hook but in Abby he gets slammed into them 3ft away and gets hurt. It's also a different game all in all where in a series teams are looking to punish and wear players down vs a more cautious penalty costs the game type tourney.

The more i write/think about it the more i'm happy if he comes watches some ice level game action practises/talks with the Sedins and Tocchet and goes back focussed and goal driven to meet his objective for next year which should be making the big club

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess 8-10 days of being exposed to NHL practices and adjusting to the smaller NA rink, is better than nothing. But I'd be shocked if he sees any action in either Vancouver or Abbotsford.

D-Petey has been in Abbotsford for two weeks, and still hasn't seen any action. Although that might change this weekend because of injuries on the back end.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Makes more sense to me to play him 1-2 games in the NHL than 1-2 games in the AHL. Let his IQ shine and less risk of some goon trying to "welcome" Lekk to North America.

Likely won't play any games though.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Makes more sense to me to play him 1-2 games in the NHL than 1-2 games in the AHL. Let his IQ shine and less risk of some goon trying to "welcome" Lekk to North America.

Likely won't play any games though.

AHL team is in Winnepeg and Colorado for their next 8 -10 days so not ideal to send him out on the road if he's only here for 10 days.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He could always sign an ATO to get into a game or two with Abbotsford, but I think it’s more likely he practices with them, takes in some big club games and then heads back to Sweden to prepare for the WHC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad