Ansar Khan: Jonathan Ericsson questionable for Monday; Jan Mursak out for weeks

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/team/1358714335-570-615/red-wings-jonathan-ericsson-questionable.html

Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson said he is questionable for Monday's game against Columbus after hurting his shoulder. He stepped on a puck and crashed into the boards.

Goaltender Jonas Gustavsson won't dress the next two games due to a sore groin. The club has recalled Tom McCollum from the Grand Rapids Griffins. He will dress as Jimmy Howard's backup Monday and Tuesday.

Right wing Jan Mursak is out for several weeks due to a collar bone/SC joint injury caused by a hit from David Backes on Saturday. Mursak will have further tests on Tuesday.

Right wing Patrick Eaves will replace Mursak in the lineup Monday. It will be Eaves' first game since Nov. 26, 2011, when he was hit in the side of the head by a shot and suffered a broken jaw and concussion.

Defenseman Jakub Kindl (groin) returned to practice today and said he feels good. He thinks he could play Monday if needed. For sure by Friday.

Center Darren Helm (back) continues to improve, taking part in half the practice, the second day he's been on the ice since getting hurt. He is aiming for a Friday return.

So far so good, eh?

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
If they aren't going to shake up the roster with call-ups, hopefully they will switch the lines around and split up the Euro Twins. Then, at least, if that doesn't work, they will have no more excuses.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
If I'm Kindl, I want to play as soon as possible, as this season should be his best (and probably last) chance to show that he can earn a top 6 spot (I remain dubious on that). Shouldn't be too hard to look decent by comparison with how the rest of the guys played in the first game.

Another tough break for Mursak, but really, that's the tagline on that kid's career so far. I like Eaves better as he brings more skills to the table than Jan, but if not just to build up any sort of trade value, I'd like Mursak to remain healthy for more than 5 consecutive minutes of ice time. He's basically Glass Joe from Tyson's Punchout.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
honestly. what kind of a decline is it when we are complaining about ericsson and mursak are out and wanting lashhoff in our team.

i can still remember the days when we were hoping names like shanahan, yzerman, zetterberg, datsyuk, lidstrom, chelios or marian hossa are coming back from injuries.
man i feel old.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Going to be a rough game if Ericsson is out, thought he was one of our better dmen the other night, even though that's not saying much.

These offensive lines really need to get shuffled. I'm actually excited to see Eaves, I'm a fan of his, hopefully he can play like he used to.

This team really needs to get rid of Cleary, the sooner the better. Nyquist or Tatar should get his spot.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Going to be a rough game if Ericsson is out, thought he was one of our better dmen the other night, even though that's not saying much.

These offensive lines really need to get shuffled. I'm actually excited to see Eaves, I'm a fan of his, hopefully he can play like he used to.

This team really needs to get rid of Cleary, the sooner the better. Nyquist or Tatar should get his spot.

Yeah, weren't we hearing repeatedly how much a healthy Danny Cleary was going to help the team going into the season? And how him being healthy was treated almost like an addition to the team? Man, he looked ineffective last night, and the least he could have done was be physical given how the Blues were running roughshod over the Wings at every chance. That didn't happen either. I'd much rather see one of the young guys in his spot on the 3rd line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, weren't we hearing repeatedly how much a healthy Danny Cleary was going to help the team going into the season? And how him being healthy was treated almost like an addition to the team? Man, he looked ineffective last night, and the least he could have done was be physical given how the Blues were running roughshod over the Wings at every chance. That didn't happen either. I'd much rather see one of the young guys in his spot on the 3rd line.

Yeah people on here was saying he is going to come back re-energized and play like he did in 10-11, which was an anamoly, and be a 50 point guy :laugh:. He looks older and more beat-up than ever.

Still can't believe Franzen stood there and watched him get bullied into the crease repatedly. You are a 6'3" 225 lb man. ****ing do something. Absolutely a joke.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Yeah people on here was saying he is going to come back re-energized and play like he did in 10-11, which was an anamoly, and be a 50 point guy :laugh:. He looks older and more beat-up than ever.

Still can't believe Franzen stood there and watched him get bullied into the crease repatedly. You are a 6'3" 225 lb man. ****ing do something. Absolutely a joke.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that part of the game given that the whole thing ended up being a s***storm that kinda blurs together in my mind. But while watching the game on DVR, I rewound that part to show my wife how awesome it was to see Cleary manhandled in the crease (not sure if it was by Jackman or Polak), then Franzen skates over to engage as the 2 guys skate up the ice. But the second the Blues player turned to focus on Mule, he took off for center ice! I'm not expecting him to turn into McCarty overnight, but his "tough guy" routine never fails to make me laugh! :laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

I had hopes that Cleary would be better than last season. And still do. It was just one game and he didn't play this season anywhere. If he's like this after 10 games.. I hope we have time, they looked so damn slow and rusty there.

Love your new avatar btw.

RedWingsNow*

If I'm Kindl, I want to play as soon as possible, as this season should be his best (and probably last) chance to show that he can earn a top 6 spot (I remain dubious on that). Shouldn't be too hard to look decent by comparison with how the rest of the guys played in the first game.

Another tough break for Mursak, but really, that's the tagline on that kid's career so far. I like Eaves better as he brings more skills to the table than Jan, but if not just to build up any sort of trade value, I'd like Mursak to remain healthy for more than 5 consecutive minutes of ice time. He's basically Glass Joe from Tyson's Punchout.

Eaves, when I saw him last year, looked like he couldn't skate anymore. Guy is so far out of game shape it's ridiculous. But he had that Dan Cleary slowness about him

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Eaves, when I saw him last year, looked like he couldn't skate anymore. Guy is so far out of game shape it's ridiculous. But he had that Dan Cleary slowness about him

Come on CB... "Dan Cleary slowness"??? Let's keep the gloves up or the judge will start deducting points :laugh:

Eaves was never a burner but I think he's effective on the PK, can chip in a little offensively and will throw a hit or 2- the only thing Mursak has on him is speed. Maybe if Eaves played last night the Blues would have only scored on 60% of their PP's. :)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Eaves looked pretty good in practice. He had good speed, and was definitely faster than Cleary. As I was saying Cleary and Knuble were the two slowest players at practice. Cleary looked just as slow last night.

Of all the players, Franzen looked the most out of shape to me. He was clearly winded in practice more than a few times. When he and Flip were doing faceoff drills, Flip knocked him on his can going for a lose puck. He proceeded to spend the next 3 minutes on one knee on the ice. Perhaps Flip knocked the air out of him, but it struck me as odd.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Eaves has been the 13th forward for much of the last two seasons. I don't know why people are expecting him to have an effect on the play of this team.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Kindl earned a top-six spot the last two seasons. Remember that in 2011 Babcock only played Salei (RIP) in the playoffs because he was a veteran (shades of Bowman?) after Kindl had taken over his role.

In 2012, Commodore took Salei's spot, and Kindl handily outplayed him all season to the point that Commodore almost never made it into the lineup - he played 17 games with Detroit before being traded to Tampa at the end of February for a 7th rounder.

You can't really say that about Eaves right now; he hasn't played in over a year so we don't know what he brings. He could be no longer at the NHL level for all we know.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Can we please waive Cleary, Emmerton and prob even Sammy? I saw very limited of yesterday's game, and didn't notice Sammy when I did, but Cleary confirmed that he is done and Emmerton has never looked good enough to play a regular shift. On a bright note, we look PRIME to win the Seth Jones lottery - I just hope it is a Colts/Manning situation, and not the signal of a complete meltdown.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
On a bright note, we look PRIME to win the Seth Jones lottery - I just hope it is a Colts/Manning situation, and not the signal of a complete meltdown.

Yep. Because they're doing the lottery tomorrow and that one game defined the entire season.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Not shocked at Mursak being out for a while...Backes crushed him on that hit. Backes was a killing machine on Saturday. That opening shift where he put Hank and Brunner on their ***** really set the tone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad