Jonathan Drouin back to life?

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
On pace for 53 points which would match his previous career high. Seems to have had a couple of season where he didn't play too much but still managed to get some points. What's the deal?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He had a slow start, but since Dec 13th he has played 42 games, and gotten 38 points and is a +8. That's a pace of 74 points over 82 games.

Prior to that he had 8 points in his first 26 games, or a pace of 25 points over 82 games.

I hope he can keep it up. As a Habs fan, I always like Drouin. He certainly has had struggles but he's always seems like a decent person who cares tremendously too, so I'm happy he's doing well now and hope he can continue to build on it.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
He’s good pals with MacKinnon so not surprised Nate has been the biggest factor in Drouins bounce back. Will be interesting to see if the Avs resign him this summer or upgrade him with someone like Lindholm.
Lindholm? We have Mittelstadt now.

We are in a cap-crunch this summer.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He’s the epitome of a guy who can add a lot of value to a good line but can’t carry or drive a line by himself.

If he has space he will make things happen, but if he can be keyed on he will be shut down. Playing with the avs he is able to be free from the toughest matchups and he’s able to thrive.

In mtl where he was counted on to be a top producer it didn’t work out, among other reasons

Reactions: A55P2

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He showed so much skill in TB that it was surprising he couldn't put together a career in Montreal. If it hadn't been for the attitude issues (not saying that as a knock; it's just what it was at the time), I think he and Kucherov would have worked magic for years. I can only imagine Drouin-Point-Kucherov, if Drouin had continued his early trajectory.

As it is, I felt good about Colorado bringing him in, given his history with MacKinnon, and I'm happy to see him get his career back on track. Honestly, if he fully realizes the potential he showed in Tampa Bay, this is just the tip of the ice burg.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
On pace for 53 points which would match his previous career high. Seems to have had a couple of season where he didn't play too much but still managed to get some points. What's the deal?
Beginning of the year was an adjustment period, still getting the coach's trust and adjusting to a new team/system/city/situation as anyone would. Put up 1 point in first 10 games, even though there were positive signs. Has since scored 45 points in his last 58 games, while only playing about 45% of 5-on-5 with Mackinnon (yet some Avs fans still doubt his ability to put up around 80 points by doubling his time next to MacKinnon). He's also been moved on and off of PP1 depending on the team's health, but seems to have solidified his position there now.

Regardless of production, the thing that has impressed me is his overall play. Very committed to the forecheck, defense and his hockey IQ is very evident when making plays or creating turnovers. Drouin is one of the feel good stories of the season.

Reactions: Eegs

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He showed so much skill in TB that it was surprising he couldn't put together a career in Montreal. If it hadn't been for the attitude issues (not saying that as a knock; it's just what it was at the time), I think he and Kucherov would have worked magic for years. I can only imagine Drouin-Point-Kucherov, if Drouin had continued his early trajectory.

As it is, I felt good about Colorado bringing him in, given his history with MacKinnon, and I'm happy to see him get his career back on track. Honestly, if he fully realizes the potential he showed in Tampa Bay, this is just the tip of the ice burg.

I don't think it's that surprising he couldn't put it together in Montreal lol he was never really supposed to be "the guy" but he does play extemely well off other skill players.

The last game he had with him and MacKinnon threading passes across the ice is similar to him with Kucherov on the PP, one thing I did like about that pairing is they never forced anything to eachother, everything was IQ based, whoever had the better chance took the shot.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think it's that surprising he couldn't put it together in Montreal lol he was never really supposed to be "the guy" but he does play extemely well off other skill players.

The last game he had with him and MacKinnon threading passes across the ice is similar to him with Kucherov on the PP, one thing I did like about that pairing is they never forced anything to eachother, everything was IQ based, whoever had the better chance took the shot.
Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov across the top when Stamkos was out might have been just as lethal as anything we've had before or since. Definitely comparable, with Drouin and Kucherov's ability to thread the needle while also, like you said, not forcing it.

I always say this, but the biggest difference when he went to Montreal was he lost his top gear. He had Point-level speed, or pretty close, when he was here.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I really want him to succeed. He got too much flack during his MTL tenure.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
He still has that insane chemistry with MacKinnon from a decade ago. Pretty cool to watch.

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
Yes I am sure Mack was a great factor in Drouin's bounce back but IMO Bednar has had the bigger impact on him. The biggest change in Drouin is not his play with the puck. It is his play away from the puck. He is truly a 200' player now and this is not something he has learned from Mack (although Mack has improved quite a bit defensively). He had a rough start with the team and Bednar had to scratch him a couple of time. Congrats to him how he reacted to those scratched. Instead of sulking he was willing to learn and adapt his game to the team's system. Bednar not only taught him to play very well defensively but also to shoot more, forecheck better and play more physical. He is now a much more complete player by quite a margin in fact.

Unfortunately that also means he probably priced himself out of Colorado. However he REALLY likes it with the Avs so it is possible he takes a sizable discount to stay where he is so comfortable. The Avs don't have a lot of cap space to keep him though.
Great post...the NHL is littered with top end major junior players who found it difficult to replicate their draft status + major junior success into pro. Drouin is one such player and it takes time for some to reinvent themselves. Drouin is a much different player this season vs previous...he looks engaged on almost every shift and has turned himself into someone the coach can depend on. Good to see he's done that, that takes some skill + ability to shove some pride aside!

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov across the top when Stamkos was out might have been just as lethal as anything we've had before or since. Definitely comparable, with Drouin and Kucherov's ability to thread the needle while also, like you said, not forcing it.

I always say this, but the biggest difference when he went to Montreal was he lost his top gear. He had Point-level speed, or pretty close, when he was here.

The last time Kucherov recieved a Kucherov type pass.

Reactions: DFC

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Another in a long line of unfairly made scapegoats in Montreal. The hate he received at times was absolutely dreadful.

Glad Colorado is working out for him, he always had the talent.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013

His speed was indeed a major asset earlier in his career. I don't know how he skates now but I think he tried to bulk up too much in Montreal, the speed burst was mostly there only in the first year with the Habs.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Habs fan here, very happy for Drouin. I knew he would click well with a powerhouse like Mackinnon because his hockey iq is high level.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad