Jonathan Bernier

Rob Stauber*

As a Kings fan I have to watch Dan Cloutier tend goal for us and its causing me to go into depression. I'm praying Jonathan Bernier is legit and that with 3-4 years (actualy I hope by next year but i know thats not realistic) he can be a legit steady #1 goalie ?

So people have seen him play this year ? How is he doing and how do you project him ?

I need this in my life :help:

iamcaper

I've only seen him twice this year but he was rock solid both times. He was very patient and didn't try to do too much or make saves look flashy. He seems to keep things simple. He covered the angles well and his rebound control was pretty good.

Be cautious as the games I saw him in the team in front of him worked very hard defensively. But he did impress me, more so than Pavelec thus far.

Rob Stauber*

I've only seen him twice this year but he was rock solid both times. He was very patient and didn't try to do too much or make saves look flashy. He seems to keep things simple. He covered the angles well and his rebound control was pretty good.

Be cautious as the games I saw him in the team in front of him worked very hard defensively. But he did impress me, more so than Pavelec thus far.

awww schucks! Thanks caper! You're the preverbial man. Im glad we didn't wasting our first round pick.

any hope in hell of him being ready to be our starter by next year ???;)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
ive seen him once this year in a 6-1 victory. He looked very sharp and IMO could already be a starter at the NHL level. He is arguably one of the quickest goalie in the game today, he reminds of of MA fleury. His lateral movement, and recovery is almost unhuman. He will be a great goalie for years to come, im thinking next year he competes for starting position.

Rob Stauber*

ive seen him once this year in a 6-1 victory. He looked very sharp and IMO could already be a starter at the NHL level. He is arguably one of the quickest goalie in the game today, he reminds of of MA fleury. His lateral movement, and recovery is almost unhuman. He will be a great goalie for years to come, im thinking next year he competes for starting position.

:eek:

are you saying this just to get me excited ? If so, keep doing it.

But if your thoughts are true then I will be rooting for Bernier more than ANY of our other prospects/youngsters (including Jack Johnson & Kopitar).

If Bernier can do what your saying next year then...........:bow:

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph

there is no way Bernier can start yet, he is too young and raw and still needs more time to develope, I expect this kid to play one more year in the Q (after this season) and 1-3 years in the AHL, depends how he developes. Who knows he may onky need 1 season in the AHL like Cam Ward, or 3 like Josh Harding. Its still tough to tell, he could very well bust, its really tough to determine how good he is so early in his hockey career.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
there is no way Bernier can start yet, he is too young and raw and still needs more time to develope, I expect this kid to play one more year in the Q (after this season) and 1-3 years in the AHL, depends how he developes. Who knows he may onky need 1 season in the AHL like Cam Ward, or 3 like Josh Harding. Its still tough to tell, he could very well bust, its really tough to determine how good he is so early in his hockey career.
Harding is more in the AHL due to MIN having Fernandez and MIN wants Harding to play a lot rather than be a backup.

Rob Stauber*

:( way to bring me down again.

DickArmy*

I think Bernier is 19 so couldn't he go to the AHL if he is

Bernier is still 18, just turned 18 a month or two ago. I know a scout for the BJacks who was pushing for Bernier at the draft, but got denied because Bernier was "too short", he recently saw Bernier again and told me that he'd go #1 overall easily if he were eligible for the 07 draft.

Rob Stauber*

Bernier is still 18, just turned 18 a month or two ago. I know a scout for the BJacks who was pushing for Bernier at the draft, but got denied because Bernier was "too short", he recently saw Bernier again and told me that he'd go #1 overall easily if he were eligible for the 07 draft.

:amazed: :amazed:

Rob Stauber*

I think it's more a statement of the weakness of the 2007 draft, still the Kings have lucked into two steals at #11 the last two years.

we also had Tukonen and Brown, the previous years, at the #11 pick:)

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I think Bernier will be a number 1 goalie in the nhl won't be a flashy goalie but a solid consistent gioalie. I only seen Bernier once this season because I am in college in Black Bear country. The game I saw was last Friday 5-4 victory. Where 2 of the goal that were let in was because of poor defense another was questionable I put half the blame on Bernier and the defense. But the last two nights were great for him and hopefuly he stays longer in camp next year.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I think Bernier will be a number 1 goalie in the nhl won't be a flashy goalie but a solid consistent gioalie. I only seen Bernier once this season because I am in college in Black Bear country. The game I saw was last Friday 5-4 victory. Where 2 of the goal that were let in was because of poor defense another was questionable I put half the blame on Bernier and the defense. But the last two nights were great for him and hopefuly he stays longer in camp next year.
from what I have seen from Bernier (not a whole lot), he seemed like a very flashy and entertaining goalie to watch, like Fleury. Not a boring, makes everything look easy type goalie like Belfour.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Bernier continues...

He made 38 saves in last night's 3-1 win.

25GP - 19 wins

2.36 GAA and .912 SV%.

#1 among starters in the Q.

I really hope he can become a franchise goalie. The Kings really need one.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
I'm having a hard time watching the game if Cloutier is in goal. It just gets so damn depressing to see a team give it all and the goalie to implode night after night....

I'm glad to hear Bernier is getting his hype any word on if he has a shot at being on the WJC team?

Rob Stauber*

If Garon is out for any extended period of time, the only quality goaltending we will get to see from a King goaltender will from Bernier @the WJCs.

Anybody know who right now would be the front runner to be Canada's #1 ? Bernier/Irving/Price ?

Bryzga lol*

A goalie rarely makes the NHL before he's AHL eligeble. It's very hard for a young goalie to adapt to a higher level of play (compared to a forward). How many junior aged goalies have stepped up to the NHL level lately? I can only think of Fleury, and maybe Lehtonen?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I got to see Bernier in the NHL preseason against the Sharks.

I think he gave up two goals, but he did not look bad at all. He was very impressive for an 18 year old kid. He didn't look out of place. Infact, if I had no prior knowledge of him, I would never have guessed he was a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad