Confirmed with Link: Jonas Siegenthaler extended (5 years, $3.4 AAV)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So the only RFAs that really impact anything next offseason are now Sharangovich and Blackwood. Massive UFA slate in 2023 with Severson, Graves, Tatar, Johnsson, Haula and Bernier (if he still counts). I could see every UFA walking.
I've been wrong, but I feel like all of them other than Sharangovich won't be here. I'm very adamant about the fact that if Blackwood sucks again he's gone. He's getting Samsonov'd and some other team will pick him up as a UFA. It would be stupid to qualify him $3 million if he has yet another bad season. Some other team will pick him up as a UFA. Hopefully it's a team we'll be competing for a playoff spot with.

Either way, Blackwood and Vanecek won't both be here in 2023-2024 because they're too expensive to keep around for the quality of goaltending they provide (not close to elite). I don't think Blackwood will take $1.5 million to play here after next year and if he's only getting $1.5 million it means he had another bad season. If Blackwood is really good then we probably find a way to deal Vanecek out of here and keep Blackwood. You can't be close to the salary cap and have both of them making a combined $7-ish million after this year.

Severson is more than likely gone at this point. I think the Marino acquisition probably sealed his fate. Graves is too expensive and not really worth giving another contract. Solid defenseman, but not really worth keeping around as a UFA. He's pretty much Fitz's version of what Marcus Johansson was to Shero, only he's a defenseman and not a forward.

Tatar and Johnsson are both gone. Tatar doesn't have many years left in the league and Johnsson really isn't worth bringing back.

I could see Haula coming back for another year or two, depending on how he performs this year, but it won't be for more than what he's currently making.

Bernier is an obvious out.

Add Miles Wood to this list, as he very likely only gets a one year deal that brings him straight to UFA. I don't see him playing here past this year and he really shouldn't. You don't keep these types into their late 20's after they've just missed an entire year and are looking to definitely miss time this year.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't understand why Jonas would agree to this contract or structure but I'm glad he did.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Holy crap I was crossing my fingers Siegs would sign a Slavin type deal and we got an even better one. Love this.

Reactions: glenwo2

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Beautiful deal. Everything about this from acquiring him for a third to this contract is a big W for the team.

Funny thing about purely defensive Dmen, they are so valuable to a team, yet they have such little leverage when it comes to contracts.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Love this deal.

I still think there’s some upside to his offensive game. He has a pretty good shot and showed off some deceptively good puck skills at times last year. Don’t expect him to be creating scoring chances on the regular, but definitely think he can pitch in from the blue line and make plays to maintain possession offensively.

Camille the Eel

I have no idea why Siegs would sign this deal, but this is fantastic value for the Devils.

He just needs to be a 4/5D for the deal to be worth it. Last season, he was providing top-pair value. And he's only locked up for his prime years and no longer. Wow.
17 million guaranteed so no worries over the next 6 years and he’s an unrestricted free agent at age 30. He has nice security with the lump money considered as a whole, nothing changes if he gets concussed or blows a knee out, the team is committing to him for 6 years counting now - l can see a player liking this deal. Plenty of reason to take it, given the insecurity of the profession.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
17 million guaranteed so no worries over the next 6 years and he’s an unrestricted free agent at age 30. He has nice security with the lump money considered as a whole, nothing changes if he gets concussed or blows a knee out, the team is committing to him for 6 years counting now - l can see a player liking this deal. Plenty of reason to take it, given the insecurity of the profession.
Guaranteed money is definitely great, but looking at what a plug like RealGud got in UFA, you'd think Siegs' agent would just want him to take a short-term deal and get to UFA.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Might be time for me to get a Siegs jersey tbh. Underrated defenseman that does the little things right. I notice all his small plays, he’s very solid on the backend.

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad