Injury Report: Jonas Brodin (Injured Paw)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The babysitter talk needs to end. Brodin doesn't put up points because he's terrible offensively. He is what he is at this point. A shut down 2nd pair defenseman that won't give you any offense. There's nothing wrong with that.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The babysitter talk needs to end. Brodin doesn't put up points because he's terrible offensively. He is what he is at this point. A shut down 2nd pair defenseman that won't give you any offense. There's nothing wrong with that.
Oh no doubt, he's bad offensively. Some people would argue there's more potential there based on the start of last season, but we've seen it for a month or two his whole career. "He is what he is" is spot on.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Oh no doubt, he's bad offensively. Some people would argue there's more potential there based on the start of last season, but we've seen it for a month or two his whole career. "He is what he is" is spot on.
I think he has all the tools to be a great offensive player, he just doesn't do it. It used to really bother me, but now I just try to remember how good he is defensively, and get over it. seeing him on the PP does still upset me though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Brodin is one of the best defensive defencemen in the NHL, amazing skater and leads Minnesota in +/- (by far among defencemen).

Yet he is only fourth among d-men in icetime and gets almost no opportunities in offensive situations.

I feel he is under-appreciated and under-used.

Thoughts?

He certainly has the tools to be ok offensively, but his mentality is that of a stay-at-home defender. It's the role he feels most comfortable playing, so it's the role he inevitably reverts back to. That is what he is, and he's really good at it. I don't get upset about it, even though it sometimes seems like a waste of his talents, because doing that is being like the people who got angry at Sheldon Souray because had the tools to be a really good stay-at-home defender, but chose to be an offensive defenseman who sacrificed some defense, because he loved scoring goals. He was an All-Star quality player for the role he chose, and I think Brodin isn't that far off of All-Star caliber when it comes to being a defensive defenseman. That said, defensive defensemen never make the All-Star game, so he won't ever get the recognition for it.

But I disagree that he's being under-utilized. If he was a RHD I'd maybe agree, but he's behind Suter in the depth chart, and Suter is both great defensively and really good offensively (nevermind being paid $9 million), so he's not an easy one to overtake. I'd personally take Brodin off of the power play, as I think he doesn't see the game offensively very well (or doesn't want to).

Reactions: Tuntrui and 2Pair

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like Brodin more than Suter on the PP. He moves the puck quickly from the point. He's not much of a shooting threat though. There isn't much I like about the Wild PP so far this year.

What's odd for Brodin is last year (tounament time), when he was paired (offhanded) with OEL, he was much more active in the o-zone.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that SS encouraged, cajoled, and threatened JB to contribute more on offense last year. Also gave him some opportunities on the PP, which he hadn't had for years. Seems everyone is content to have him lapse back into being a defensive stopper this year. I understand the thought...with Dumba, Suter, Spurgeon, Reilly, and now Murphy their biggest need on D is someone who plays well without the puck, and who makes sound decisions with the puck. Still, I miss Stevens.

I wouldn't call him bad on the PP, just mostly unnoticeable. Not the the same thing.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think that SS encouraged, cajoled, and threatened JB to contribute more on offense last year. Also gave him some opportunities on the PP, which he hadn't had for years. Seems everyone is content to have him lapse back into being a defensive stopper this year. I understand the thought...with Dumba, Suter, Spurgeon, Reilly, and now Murphy their biggest need on D is someone who plays well without the puck, and who makes sound decisions with the puck. Still, I miss Stevens.

I wouldn't call him bad on the PP, just mostly unnoticeable. Not the the same thing.

I don't think he's bad on the PP either, I just think it doesn't fit his game very well to be placed on it. He's sort of a limited threat on the PP, as he doesn't jump up into the play often, and doesn't shoot bombs from the point, either, which means he's stuck being strictly a QB. So, not bad necessarily, but also not good because he's very limited in what he does in the role. Suter definitely slows the play down too much, but Brodin only makes one play effectively. I'd pick Suter for the PP, if I were forced to pick either, because at least he's less predictable.

I don't know that I'd say I'm content with him being a strictly defensive player, I just have become resigned to the idea that offense will never be a large part of his game. I guess I'm close to content, but only because I've gotten used to the idea. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he proved me wrong, there. As it stands, I'm ok with him being a strong defensive player who has a very good lead pass and excellent mobility to escape forecheckers. If nothing else, it'll keep his salary cap cost down, and make him somewhat affordable for the team on his next contract, if he decides to re-sign here. I'm sure other teams will be interested in him, as he will be a very young UFA.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
The few times I remember him somehow winding up in a scoring opportunity, it seemed like he did smart things. I can only assume that since they didn't result in goals, he apologized profusely to whoever else was out there for wasting their time, then went home and crushed glass over some lettuce and used his own tears for salad dressing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ummmmmm, they're 6th in the league at 21.83%.

They are middle of the pack in PPGF, and the PP is really streaky. 14 games with a PPG, with 6 and 5 games streaks, otherwise it's been a whole lot of nothing. 2 games out of 11, and currently on a 1 game in the last 7 played. That 11 game stretch they scored more shorties (4) than PPGs (2).

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I think there's a slight difference between terrible offensively as a d-man and a terrible point-producer. Brodin doesn't score many points, but in terms of digging pucks out behind the net, making good first-passes, and being able to help the offense flow cleanly into and through the neutral zone are all things that Brodin does well--which for a defender and a unit with that defender on the ice is definitely a positive.

Clayton Stoner is a terrible offensive defender and a terrible-point producer. Brodin is a terrible point producer, but he's not terrible offensively.

Maybe there's others who have a difference of opinion.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think there's a slight difference between terrible offensively as a d-man and a terrible point-producer. Brodin doesn't score many points, but in terms of digging pucks out behind the net, making good first-passes, and being able to help the offense flow cleanly into and through the neutral zone are all things that Brodin does well--which for a defender and a unit with that defender on the ice is definitely a positive.

Clayton Stoner is a terrible offensive defender and a terrible-point producer. Brodin is a terrible point producer, but he's not terrible offensively.

Well said.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Brodin doesn't have a first pass. It's either D2D or of the wall and out. He certainly has the ability to do all of those things you listed, but for the most part he plays a really simple game.

Reactions: Tuntrui

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I've noticed that he tends to hit someone stationary right in front of the blue line more often than someone in motion, but is doing that more than dumping this year. Last year he was almost entirely D2D or dump, but that may have been due to him being paired with just whoever wherever-- he was rotated through either side of the 2nd/3rd pairs within a game last year.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Brodin could have developed an offensive game if he had more time in lower leagues. But he didnt, so he probably wont develop much of an offensive game in the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Or if he was paired with a solid, but less talented guy top 4 guy where it was obvious that Brodin would have to drive offense from the back, and he would know that someone has his back, i.e. a Nick Schultz, Wille Mitchell type.

Did anyone catch the interview with Suter after the game on FSN where he was asked how he liked playing with Dumba. There was a whole lot of hemming and hawing, and a red faced grin....seemed like he was caught by surprise by the question. He mouthed a few qualified compliments("he's great, but young"), but I got the feeling what he really wanted to say was, "Give me back my Spurgeon. Get me outta this!"

At the end he said (paraphrasing), " He's got to stay on his side of the ice".

I think Suter is very aware of what a kerfuffle he caused a few years ago when he innocuously said that he preferred playing with Spurgeon to Brodin, and was trying to avoid a similar situation.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Or if he was paired with a solid, but less talented guy top 4 guy where it was obvious that Brodin would have to drive offense from the back, and he would know that someone has his back, i.e. a Nick Schultz, Wille Mitchell type.

Did anyone catch the interview with Suter after the game on FSN where he was asked how he liked playing with Dumba. There was a whole lot of hemming and hawing, and a red faced grin....seemed like he was caught by surprise by the question. He mouthed a few qualified compliments("he's great, but young"), but I got the feeling what he really wanted to say was, "Give me back my Spurgeon. Get me outta this!"

At the end he said (paraphrasing), " He's got to stay on his side of the ice".

I think Suter is very aware of what a kerfuffle he caused a few years ago when he innocuously said that he preferred playing with Spurgeon to Brodin, and was trying to avoid a similar situation.

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
To be fair, there probably isn't a defender in the league that wouldn't much rather play with Spurgeon than Dumba.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
3 on 3 OT lineup of Dumba, Reilly and Murphy.

Who needs forwards, when you've got defensemen that can't play D.
I've seen Bruce put out worse options. Funny enough, if those 3 were to take on Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin in a sudden death 3 on 3, it would be over in less than a minute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad