Jon Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
While looking back at last season even though we were 2 wins away from the cup it's also hard not to look at it and let the failure to win the cup over ride the accomplishment of not only getting into the playoffs but making it all the way to the finals.

With the very short off season this year, and the heartbreak of coming that close to winning the cup I think Cooper will have a real challenging job of coaching this year. I think it may make or break him.

Especially based on how the team has looked in pre-season, and our schedule is not easy to start the season. We cannot afford a slow start or take 1/3 of the season to find our motivation.

Discuss:

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well to me, reaching the SCF and winning the conference is being successful, yeah it's not the ultimate prize but it is the next best thing, and certainly should be proud of that. They went from being swept in the 1st round to making it to the SCF.

Expectations are certainly higher this season, they should at least make the ECF again this season or it will be a disappointment. If they do make the SCF again, awesome, but if they do, they need to win it this time. I don't think I can take getting that far again only to fall short, rather just lose in the ECF than losing in the SCF, if that makes sense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Both of Coop's seasons have been smashing successes. Blew away all expectations both times.

Coop's big challenge is to keep the team motivated now that we're almost never going to be looked at as underdogs, all year long.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The people who think last season was a failure are the same people who think we need to move Bishop NOW because Vasi looks good.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I kind of hate to pile on, but I'm not sure how the hell you see last year as a failure, of any kind. Like, not at all.

I'm thinking that coming that close to the Cup may very well act as an additional motivator for the guys. Especially some of the leadership group. This is twice that Stamkos has been very close (ECF and SCF) and the guys from NYR, Boyle and Stralman. They're all going to be smelling blood in the water.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I think you mis-understood. I don't think its a failure, but you know the players have had a hard time getting over the loss. To be so close! I know how heartbreaking it was just as a fan, can't imagine the pain being a player.

Definitely think motivation is the key, and I think that is a tall order this year hence the challenge.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I kind of hate to pile on, but I'm not sure how the hell you see last year as a failure, of any kind. Like, not at all.

I'm thinking that coming that close to the Cup may very well act as an additional motivator for the guys. Especially some of the leadership group. This is twice that Stamkos has been very close (ECF and SCF) and the guys from NYR, Boyle and Stralman. They're all going to be smelling blood in the water.

We can add Coburn to the list.

Yeah, Carle too...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think you mis-understood. I don't think its a failure, but you know the players have had a hard time getting over the loss. To be so close! I know how heartbreaking it was just as a fan, can't imagine the pain being a player.

Definitely think motivation is the key, and I think that is a tall order this year hence the challenge.

I get what you mean, but you might want to edit the post. The word "failure" completely changes the tone for the rest of it. No point in distracting from the topic, which is interesting enough--how Coop deals with a new challenge/new expectations.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I get what you mean, but you might want to edit the post. The word "failure" completely changes the tone for the rest of it. No point in distracting from the topic, which is interesting enough--how Coop deals with a new challenge/new expectations.

Agreed. Updated original post. Thanks. :) I should have proof read that better before posting. doh!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Technically, we've failed every season of our existence except one. The goal is to win The Cup. Doesn't matter if you lose in the Finals or finish last in the league, you didn't win The Cup so you've failed that year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
0-82
We need to draft another franchise player like Stamkos.
Anything else will surpass expectations.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
1. Not being an underdog anymore is the biggest challenge. We are literally the favorite to win according to most analysts. The target is on our back.
2. Stamkos drama will become bigger the longer it goes on. Distracting whether he admits it or not.
3. Staying healthy. Being favorites in most games will mean we get the best (and worst) efforts from other teams. Dirty plays notwithstanding.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
1. Not being an underdog anymore is the biggest challenge. We are literally the favorite to win according to most analysts. The target is on our back.
2. Stamkos drama will become bigger the longer it goes on. Distracting whether he admits it or not.
3. Staying healthy. Being favorites in most games will mean we get the best (and worst) efforts from other teams. Dirty plays notwithstanding.

I have this sick feeling Stamkos will score < 70 points and this thing will grow a whole new ugly head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad